Relocating a cache and publishing new coordinates

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
BookLeaf

Relocating a cache and publishing new coordinates

Post by BookLeaf » 12 October 11 10:23 am

I have come across a relocated cache where the CO has relocated the cache as a result of muggles. (appropriate action in this case I believe). Its new position is about 20 Mtr from the original location.
The new coordinates are published as a note on GS, with the original coordinates still listed at the head of the cache listing.

Is this the correct way to re-list co-ordinates?, or should GS be advised so they can change coordinates on the cache heading?

This is not a gripe, it is something I have not come across before and I fell it is better to have the head coordinates changed else everyone in the future, whether they just look at the header info, or do a PQ will be continuously be going to the wrong location Only if they read all the posts for the cache will they find the correct (new) location.

I will pass on any info to the CO if there is a better way.

Thanks for any feedback

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Re: Relocating a cache and publishing new coordinates

Post by Zalgariath » 12 October 11 10:35 am

No it is not. There is a Log Entry available to the Cache Owner called "Update Co-Ords" where they should enter the new co-ords as this will change them at the top of the page ;)

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 12 October 11 12:40 pm

... and if that "Update Co-Ords" log creates an error message because the distance between old and new coords is to big, the CO should contact the local reviewer to have a look into it.

Ministro

Post by Ministro » 12 October 11 12:53 pm

Post a needs maintenance log on the cache asking the cache owner to update the coordinates.

If they don't do it in a reasonable time (a fortnight or so) then either fire an email to the reviewer (don't forget to include the GC code of the cache) asking them to look at it. (Note: they may not do it if the CO is no longer active) or post a needs archive note on the page that will get my attention.

BookLeaf

Post by BookLeaf » 12 October 11 5:43 pm

Thanks for your replies.
The Co is active, I will advise

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 12 October 11 11:44 pm

To add another thing to the discussion, if it has moved and is a new hide shou the old cache should the old hild be archived and a new one listed. The reasoning is that it's a new hide, so you have to do a new search. I am all for updating coords when new ones become available.

But if a cache requires a new hide due to muggles or whatever and it isn't right next to the old hide, should it become a new cache?

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 13 October 11 1:52 am

I think that comes down to how similar the experience of finding it is. If the point of the cache was to take you to a lookout or something historical or whatever, then moving it tens or even possibly hundreds of metres probably doesn't change that experience. A roadside "break the journey" cache might even move kilometres without really changing the character.

A clever hide inside a sculpture or natural feature, though, might feel completely different if it's moved to become a box under a bush 10m away.

Cases vary, and the owner or, sometimes, the reviewer who's asked to update the coords has to decide what's still the same cache in a new spot and what's really a new cache.

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 13 October 11 9:41 pm

Is there any rules about distance from the original hide?

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 14 October 11 8:38 am

Yes, I cant remember the exact distance- someone else will have the answer to that- but if you attempt to move a cache further, the system wont do it. I have had one of these, where I had a cache on an object, that was at an entrance to a venue. When a new entrance was built, about 2km down the road, the object, and unknowingly the cache, moved this 2km down the road. The system would not allow me to make the move, and I had to prove my case to one of the reviewers for them to update the coordinates.

And dont think you can circumvent the system by making the total move in lots of little jumps, I think this raises the ire of the reviewers as well.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 14 October 11 8:40 am

Answered my own question- from the guidelines,

6.8. Editing Your Cache Coordinates
Cache owners may find it necessary to move their cache and update their cache's coordinates. If the cache has moved less than 161m/528feet, the coordinates can be updated by the cache owner.
Be aware of other caches in the area. Your move may put your cache too close to other caches. Review our cache saturation guidelines.

There are two ways to edit coordinates:

From the "edit listing" link in Navigation box in the upper right corner of the cache page:

1. That will return you to the original cache report. Below the current coordinates you will see a link: modify your cache coordinates via a log entry.
2. Clicking this link take you to a new page, an "Update Coordinates" log, with the cache's current coordinates already entered in the coordinate boxes, found below the Comments box. You may have to scroll down the page to see them.
3. Edit those coordinates to the new coordinates
4. Enter an explanation for this change into the Comments text box and click the "Submit Log Entry" button.

Or, choose the "Update Coordinates" log type from Log Your Visit.

1. You MUST click on the "add a coordinate to this log" button below the Comment box. You may have to scroll down to see it. Typing the new coordinates as text into the Comments box will not change the cache coordinates.
2. When you click on "add a coordinate to this log", the page will reload, with the cache's current coordinates already entered into the coordinate boxes.
3. Edit those coordinates to the new coordinates
4. Enter an explanation for this change into the text box and click the "Submit Log Entry" button.

Once you have updated the coordinates, be sure the cache is enabled (active). Clear the Needs Maintenance icon, if needed, by logging an Owner Maintenance log.

If the new coordinates are too far from the original coordinates, you will receive an error message. It will be at the bottom of the page. It will direct you to contact a reviewer . The original publishing reviewer's name will be linked to make contact easier. Please provide the GC Code, the old and new coords. In some cases, that reviewer will no longer be active. Please see related articles linked below for finding a local reviewer.
It may be appropriate to archive the original cache, and submit the moved cache as a new listing.

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 15 October 11 5:36 pm

Thanx, always wondered about that!

mtbikeroz

Post by mtbikeroz » 15 October 11 6:08 pm

I once relocated one of mine in 3 steps, at the same time, all 150m each. It was way way out in the bush, I'm sure something alerted the ump that I was "circumventing" the 161m, but it was merely to relocate the puzzle icon in the bush to stop it overlapping/obscuring a traditional cache icon. (I mentioned this in each of the 3 logs).

BookLeaf

Post by BookLeaf » 18 October 11 8:59 pm

CO advised.
Method of updating as advised here above (thanks guys) passed to CO
Co-ordinates updated
All sweet