Oh, I want this implemented on all cache listing sites NOW!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Re: Oh, I want this implemented on all cache listing sites NOW!

Post by Yurt » 07 August 11 10:26 am

I'm amazed that so many write 'then' when they mean 'than'.

I've also noticed Richary's observation a lot too.

As for muggles/mugglers - well I guess it's each to their own...

totalube
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by totalube » 07 August 11 11:02 am

grahamf72 wrote:Here Here!!!

Um, shouldn't that be "hear hear"? :wink:

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 07 August 11 11:41 am

I have google spell check installed so that when I write things online (like this) they get spell checked...
However, surely you would agree there are too many "there"s

So this post does not have any spelling errors in it. Grammatical errors however are beyond me...

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 07 August 11 2:37 pm

Well what about the Barstardation of the English langage.
Like when i went to school the letter "H" was prenounced "H" Not "Ach" like the yanks pronounce it.
I for one em an Aussie not a yank so i still say "H" not "Ach"
And Yeah i em one of those the suffer from Cronic Dyslexic..........
Yeah i can't spell properly but what the heck.
In fact there has been an email getting around for a while that even stats that the human brain only see's the first & last letter so it does'nt matter if the rest are scrambled.
:stabby

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 07 August 11 4:50 pm

Well that's the first time I've heard anyone complain about people saying 'aitch' instead of 'haitch'. Ohh the decline of the language... :mrgreen:

McPhan

Post by McPhan » 07 August 11 6:21 pm

Yurt wrote:Well that's the first time I've heard anyone complain about people saying 'aitch' instead of 'haitch'. Ohh the decline of the language... :mrgreen:
Agreed

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 07 August 11 6:39 pm

We could always ask everyone how they pronounce "caching"... #-o

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 07 August 11 7:40 pm

Rigger64 wrote:Well what about the Barstardation of the English langage.
Like when i went to school the letter "H" was prenounced "H" Not "Ach" like the yanks pronounce it.
I for one em an Aussie not a yank so i still say "H" not "Ach"
And Yeah i em one of those the suffer from Cronic Dyslexic..........
Yeah i can't spell properly but what the heck.
In fact there has been an email getting around for a while that even stats that the human brain only see's the first & last letter so it does'nt matter if the rest are scrambled.
:stabby
Purportedly the aitch/haitch difference has its root in Irish Catholicism/Protestantism. With the former saying haitch. I have heard it said that this was the way the IRA spotted the spies in their midst, although you'd think that if you had the balls to spy on the IRA that you'd have learned to pronounce it the Catholic way.

The word for the 8th letter of the alphabet came from the French word, hache (axe or hatchet) and at the time of the Norman conquest it entered the English language. Coming from a race of H droppers, it was Anglicised to aitch. Then, in the 1600s, the Americans took the aitch with them.

Then with the increase in education the h came back onto the front of aitch through uneducated hyper-correction.

So to say that the Yanks say aitch and so we should say haitch instead of copying the Americans is misguided.
Last edited by noikmeister on 07 August 11 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 07 August 11 7:43 pm

McPhan wrote:
Yurt wrote:Well that's the first time I've heard anyone complain about people saying 'aitch' instead of 'haitch'. Ohh the decline of the language... :mrgreen:
Agreed
I can remember when I was young, someone told me that people are taught to say "haitch" in Catholic schools, but I have never known if that was true, or if it was true, what the reason would be.
I'm guessing we have a fair cross section of humanity tuning in here... can anyone elaborate? (without starting any interdenominational skirmishes of course).
I'm seeing this as an opportunity to clear up something I've always been curious about.

grahamf72
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by grahamf72 » 11 August 11 10:42 pm

totalube wrote:
grahamf72 wrote:Here Here!!!

Um, shouldn't that be "hear hear"? :wink:
No, you can't hear a posting because you are reading it. I was in fact drawing attention to my post by calling on people to look "here".
:-"

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 12 August 11 12:00 am

grahamf72 wrote:No, you can't hear a posting because you are reading it. I was in fact drawing attention to my post by calling on people to look "here".
:-"
My mum can hear a posting. But she's almost blind uses a text to voice thingie on her computer to "read" forums/emails.

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 12 August 11 8:24 am

Laighside Legends wrote:I have google spell check installed so that when I write things online (like this) they get spell checked...
I have a firefox-spell-checker as well. English isn't my first language and without that checker you would read way more weird spelling than you already do :mrgreen: at least this time I got the than/then right - it always confuses me since the German words are completely different (als / dann )

For the spell-checking in listings: covert and lemmykc let me know about any errors and I don't mind if everybody else would do the same.

garnercx

Post by garnercx » 21 August 11 5:19 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:Written communication is a skill and can, in almost all cases, be learned. Refusing to do so, and still perpetrating linguistic car wrecks on the rest of us, means accepting that they're prepared to be judged by their works.
Your whole post is a very eloquent and cogent argument that I will remember for when this comes up in the future. It is trivially easy to learn these basic spelling skills - arguably much easier than creating a cache listing. There is no excuse, and asking for help is a great idea. Well articulated.

garnercx

Post by garnercx » 21 August 11 5:23 pm

sushilord wrote:Excellent point PBL. As a topic for another thread: it would be nice if some CO's had their cache placements, multi's and puzzles beta tested before they were published.
sushilord, you're going to hate me for this, but you don't need an apostrophe for "COs" or "multis", as an apostrophe is not required for plurals.

On a side note, I don't mind having my grammar and spelling issues pointed out at all, so go for it. I have checked these three sentences about 15 times, but I'm sure I've still made a mistake!
Last edited by garnercx on 21 August 11 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garnercx

Post by garnercx » 21 August 11 5:44 pm

Philipp wrote:
Laighside Legends wrote:I have google spell check installed so that when I write things online (like this) they get spell checked...
I have a firefox-spell-checker as well. English isn't my first language and without that checker you would read way more weird spelling than you already do :mrgreen: at least this time I got the than/then right - it always confuses me since the German words are completely different (als / dann )

For the spell-checking in listings: covert and lemmykc let me know about any errors and I don't mind if everybody else would do the same.
For someone who uses English as a second language, your spelling and grammar have some seriously good German precision! I'm always impressed when someone can communicate fluently in a language as complex as English when they haven't learnt it from childhood and it's a second language.

While I'm not about picking on anyone*, as a useful, on-topic comparison there was a post in this thread from a native English speaker that was only 6 lines long and contained 5 spelling mistakes and 17 grammatical mistakes. As with most things in life, there is a "that'll do" approach, and then there is taking pride in your work.

I'm not saying that everyone should take pride in their writing - that's up to the individual - but they should try not reject criticism (especially constructive criticism) when it is offered. Especially in response to someone who is writing in a sloppy or lazy manner. If there is a legitimate reason for the problematic text, of course that should be mentioned in response.

(*If you post on the Internet, you have to expect comments, observations, opinions and judgement.)