Munzees!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
User avatar
tronador
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Posts: 1542
Joined: 04 November 05 10:18 pm
Location: Lidcombe,Sydney, NSW

Re: Munzees!

Post by tronador » 02 June 13 11:26 am

If I'm not caching, I'd rather play Ingress over munzees.

User avatar
spatialriq
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found
Posts: 326
Joined: 12 May 11 11:52 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Munzees!

Post by spatialriq » 03 June 13 11:32 am

Munzee is "all about the points" so FTF isn't really relevant in the game. I geocache and munzee, although it's probably an 80/20 split.

I tend to do one or the other, not both. I predominantly cache with my smartphone so switching between apps is a little annoying. Love both games and will continue with both .. for $30 x 2 per annum it's pretty cheap entertainment!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Posts: 1397
Joined: 30 July 04 2:35 pm
Twitter: Aushiker
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: Munzees!

Post by Aushiker » 03 June 13 1:40 pm

Richary wrote:WIth my brief foray into Munzees (it's been a while since I captured one or even bothered to check if there were any nearby) I still don't get the idea of "points". They don't achieve anything, surely number of finds is more relevant but it's not something the app shows me. I can understand maybe a bonus for FTF, but the double point weekends or golden ones (whatever they are called) just doesn't make sense to me.
Both are scoring systems so really struggling to see the logic in your argument ...

Andrew

User avatar
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Posts: 1397
Joined: 30 July 04 2:35 pm
Twitter: Aushiker
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: Munzees!

Post by Aushiker » 03 June 13 1:40 pm

tronador wrote:If I'm not caching, I'd rather play Ingress over munzees.
What is Ingress?

Andrew

Tuena
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
Posts: 521
Joined: 17 November 06 11:38 am

Re: Munzees!

Post by Tuena » 03 June 13 2:10 pm

I wondered that too.

Wiki tells me: Ingress is a near-realtime augmented reality massively multiplayer online video game. Huh?

or my dictionary tells me: an entrance.

That's better.

User avatar
tronador
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Posts: 1542
Joined: 04 November 05 10:18 pm
Location: Lidcombe,Sydney, NSW

Re: Munzees!

Post by tronador » 03 June 13 5:50 pm

http://www.ingress.com/


GPS based reality game where 2 factions are out to capture portals for their teams.

User avatar
Richary
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Posts: 4127
Joined: 04 February 04 10:55 pm
Location: Waitara, Sydney

Re: Munzees!

Post by Richary » 03 June 13 11:12 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Richary wrote:WIth my brief foray into Munzees (it's been a while since I captured one or even bothered to check if there were any nearby) I still don't get the idea of "points". They don't achieve anything, surely number of finds is more relevant but it's not something the app shows me. I can understand maybe a bonus for FTF, but the double point weekends or golden ones (whatever they are called) just doesn't make sense to me.
Both are scoring systems so really struggling to see the logic in your argument ...

Andrew
To me the enjoyment is in finding the things. So it's a personal acheivement. I'm not in competition with anyone for cache finds (or Munzees) so the scoring system isn't important to me. I don't care at all whether I have found more or less than anyone else (or have more or less points). Do I feel a worse cacher than any of the teams who have found 10,000+? No. Do I feel a better cacher than those who have yet to get to 1000 (or even 100)? No, but I have probably been doing it longer.

I can understand the logic of getting people to place them, and getting points as people find them - as it encourages players to place their own.

The bonus weekends don't work for me though, as not all players may be free on a particular weekend. It's like declaring that next weekend that every cache find I make get me 2 smilies instead of one. Where is the logic in that?

User avatar
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found
Posts: 1749
Joined: 17 August 09 10:44 am
Location: Sydney, NSW

Re: Munzees!

Post by Zalgariath » 22 June 13 7:09 pm

Ingress is another newish geo-location time-sucker :D Great fun.

Yep, Munzee is evolving further and further from Caching. Where they started similar, they are becoming 2 very different games, and I think a lot of traditional cachers will not like like it anymore as it at the completely other end of the scale to quality.

Munzee is more and more quantity, quantity, quantity... which of itself is not bad, but has some negative side-effects. I still play but as always as an adjunct to caching. The game is fun for the right type of person, but that is no longer a lot of geocachers ;)

User avatar
Richary
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Posts: 4127
Joined: 04 February 04 10:55 pm
Location: Waitara, Sydney

Re: Munzees!

Post by Richary » 22 June 13 10:41 pm

Zalgariath wrote:Munzee is more and more quantity, quantity, quantity... which of itself is not bad, but has some negative side-effects. I still play but as always as an adjunct to caching. The game is fun for the right type of person, but that is no longer a lot of geocachers ;)
I also find the introduction of the new NFC Munzees to be a step back. Instead of just requiring a smartphone to play, now you need to own a certain subset of smartphones. Maybe it's a marketing ploy by Android.

Yes I could spend more money and buy an NFC equipped cradle for the iPhone (that may or may not work with the app) but I won't. And the fact that purely for technological reasons I can't find a bunch of munzees that someone else can turns me off even more. I wouldn't have a problem if the NFC Munzees could be captured either by NFC or by scanning, but being shut out of part of the game is a problem. At least with most geocaches if I can't get or even attempt them it is because of my own personal limitations in regards to D/T. With NFC I can walk past one and find it, but not claim it.

User avatar
fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Posts: 331
Joined: 09 January 09 10:21 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Munzees!

Post by fluffyfish » 23 June 13 11:33 am

Some munzeers are including the associated qr code with the nfc tag so those with iPhones can cap them as well via scanning.

User avatar
spatialriq
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found
Posts: 326
Joined: 12 May 11 11:52 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Munzees!

Post by spatialriq » 01 July 13 5:01 pm

For those who are interested, double point munzees for the next 24hrs ... and special 'cup cake' munzees worth 100pts all July. Makes it interesting :D

www.munzee.com/cake

OzMumma85
Posts: 7
Joined: 19 October 12 6:37 pm
Location: Bakers Hill

Re: Munzees!

Post by OzMumma85 » 08 July 13 10:42 am

All is good, got a quick response on my other post :)

I made a post in another thread, but found this one so I will ask here too.
What is the etiquette on Munzees inside a geocache (my own GC that is, when I finally place my first one!)
I'm thinking stuck inside the lid for easy capture :)

User avatar
Richary
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Posts: 4127
Joined: 04 February 04 10:55 pm
Location: Waitara, Sydney

Re: Munzees!

Post by Richary » 08 July 13 10:50 pm

Feel free to stick a munzee inside your own caches, stuck inside the lid is good or if it blindingly obvious on the logbook. Sticking munzees inside other people's caches is considered poor form unless you get permission first.

User avatar
fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Posts: 331
Joined: 09 January 09 10:21 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Munzees!

Post by fluffyfish » 09 July 13 12:22 am

OzMumma85 wrote:All is good, got a quick response on my other post :)

I made a post in another thread, but found this one so I will ask here too.
What is the etiquette on Munzees inside a geocache (my own GC that is, when I finally place my first one!)
I'm thinking stuck inside the lid for easy capture :)
Be careful as geocaching.com won't allow the word "munzee" in the cache description. Maybe make it clear in the munzee notes that it is located in a geocache. Not many are these days as the games separate.

OzMumma85
Posts: 7
Joined: 19 October 12 6:37 pm
Location: Bakers Hill

Re: Munzees!

Post by OzMumma85 » 09 July 13 9:16 am

I have no intentions of sticking Munzees inside, or too close to other people caches. Just my own
fluffyfish wrote: Be careful as geocaching.com won't allow the word "munzee" in the cache description. Maybe make it clear in the munzee notes that it is located in a geocache. Not many are these days as the games separate.
Good point, never thought of that, good point. There goes my plan of having a note in GC description about the Munzee!!


Today is my kid free day, good chance to start my first hide!! :D

Post Reply