Munzees!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Re: Munzees!

Post by gmj3191 » 06 May 12 11:29 am

I think I avoid them as part of my "not another addiction" strategy.

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 06 May 12 11:45 am

gmj3191 wrote:I get munzees, I don't get pathtags.
I get Pathtags, I don't get Munzees!

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 06 May 12 12:51 pm

Zalgariath wrote:Really? Ive had my London Munzopoly series out for 9 months now hidden in the city centre and only 4 go missing. 2 were construction work which removed GZ, and 2 were the double tape failing. My 50 ZEAMMAFF Munzees I have only lost one since January, and it was in the most Muggly area of the park :D
Yes... One has disappeared twice in two days.
Luckily I was FTC :mrgreen:

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 06 May 12 7:39 pm

And now with the new game types.. the virtual munzee, altho I haven't deployed one yet makes it more interesting..

Anyone got the new gold munzee yet?

I have signed up.. wanted more than one but they said no.. [-X

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 07 May 12 12:26 am

You'll get another one next year ;) I wont get mine til I arrive home in June.

The Virtuals are a good move. People being people, they were swamping the map with virtual "print-your-own" Munzees which was fast turning the game into waymarking :cry: Instead of outright banning it the lads made a new Munzee type which doesnt require a code... but is rather expensive. A good outcome. People who are desperate to be lazy and not deploy a REAL Munzee can... but they will have to pay for the servers for the rest of us ;) hehehe

I still worry about Virtual over saturation though...

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 07 May 12 10:21 am

A virtual munzee, huh?

I'm guessing you log it from your desk using Street View! :mrgreen:

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 07 May 12 10:27 am

If sufficient resolution! :D

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 07 May 12 11:02 am

Zalgariath wrote:
The Virtuals are a good move. People being people, they were swamping the map with virtual "print-your-own" Munzees which was fast turning the game into waymarking
Nothing wrong with waymarking. :D Variety - GCA, GC & Waymarking. Don't own a smart phone but am considering one so could add munzees to the mix.

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 07 May 12 3:26 pm

Yurt wrote:A virtual munzee, huh?

I just tried to deploy from within the app at the location.. but it appears it does need to be done from the pc..
Last edited by jgc3 on 09 May 12 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 07 May 12 4:27 pm

I may be wrong but I believe you still need to go to the location to log it, you just don't need to scan anything.

the farmers 5
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 07 May 12 4:40 pm

jusojara wrote:

I may be wrong but I believe you still need to go to the location to log it, you just don't need to scan anything.
Yeah, they work that way due to the location.Here are some more details......

The official Virtual Munzee is a special type of munzee that allows you to get points by capturing munzees that only exist virtually and not in the physical world. While you can place them anywhere, they are designed to be used in areas where it isn't practical for a regular munzee to be placed such as places where you don't have permission to place a physical munzee. To capture a Virtual Munzee, a player simply finds the area where it is deployed and uses the "Capture this Virtual" button in the app for that munzee's details and no QR code is used.

A Virtual Munzee is deployed from the website by clicking the checkbox and then the pin is dragged to the location you would like. Once it is captured for the first time it is then locked into the general area and can have its pin location tweaked within a 500ft radius of where it was captured.

Facitman
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 07 May 12 9:14 pm

Yurt wrote:I still don't quite get it though. :-k
I think I get it but as my phone is Windows Phone 7 I don't get to play. :(

My one beef is when I start searching for a cache and find a Munzee, part of me says find your own location rather than hiding it next to a cache. :-k

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 07 May 12 10:39 pm

Facitman wrote:
Yurt wrote:I still don't quite get it though. :-k
I think I get it but as my phone is Windows Phone 7 I don't get to play. :(

My one beef is when I start searching for a cache and find a Munzee, part of me says find your own location rather than hiding it next to a cache. :-k
Yes, unless you are the cache owner. I place Munzee in/at my own caches, but try to move them away from other peoples ones when deploying. Mind you, that also assumes the deployer or cache hider knew of the others existance. It is like the GC / GCA thing... or even Multi / Puzzle caches. How often does it happen that a GC Only cacher hides a cache right next to an exisiting GCA cache? Or you try to deploy a GC cache to be told by the reviewer you are too close to a puzzle or multi GZ? While it is true most Munzers are cachers, that demographic is slowly changing as the game finds its own market.

Indeed with the Virts you need to visit the physical location... just not find anything. Nothing wrong with Waymarking, but Waymarking is to Geocaching what Virts seem to be to Munzee so I am wary of them. Munzee is already Geocaching Sped up, I dont see the need to eliminate the game piece as unlike a caching virtual there is no question / proof / activity to locate or do ;)

Facitman

Post by Facitman » 07 May 12 10:59 pm

Zalgariath wrote: Yes, unless you are the cache owner. I place Munzee in/at my own caches, but try to move them away from other peoples ones when deploying. Mind you, that also assumes the deployer or cache hider knew of the others existance. It is like the GC / GCA thing... or even Multi / Puzzle caches. How often does it happen that a GC Only cacher hides a cache right next to an exisiting GCA cache? Or you try to deploy a GC cache to be told by the reviewer you are too close to a puzzle or multi GZ? While it is true most Munzers are cachers, that demographic is slowly changing as the game finds its own market.
Agree that the cache owner is welcome to add a munzee. Most of the examples I've seen that fit my scenario were not in locations you would expect an independent hider to place a Munzee, too close to be a coincidence.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 08 May 12 9:43 am

A lot have popped up here in caches. It was only when I found one on a new cache recently that I logged into Munzee again and found they'd popped up everywhere here. The closest is about 100 m from where I'm sitting now - and I haven't logged that one yet!