Munzees!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
TiedyeSmileys
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Re: Munzees!

Post by TiedyeSmileys » 13 July 11 7:38 pm

We have done countless caches in cemeteries. It could take a while finding a QR code in the upcoming trend of placing codes on tombstones for a living memorial :P

See http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/5/prweb8499722.htm

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 July 11 7:39 pm

fluffyfish wrote:In terms of geocaching and munzees, it uses GPS coords and it provides proof you were at a spot so therefore it is like the equivalent of a locationless or virtual.

Regarding proof, I guess we will have to wait until someone finds a munzee!
The munzee does, yes, but the cache can be logged by anyone unless there's a cross check between the GCA log and the munzee find.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 13 July 11 8:19 pm

After my initial munzee excitement, it feels that listing a munzee on GCA would be a cross listing. Hopefully the munzee people don't "own" caching with QR codes.

Guessing anyone could and has created caches with QR codes which contain coords/clues/whatevers. Still need a fancier phone to decode the QR code (even my N95 had a QR reader).

And then they would be unknown/mystery due to the special nature.

PS God knows why Chirps are special? They should be listed as unknown/special as the required decoder is not readily available. *Chirp rage*

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 July 11 8:42 pm

We added a beacon cache type to beat annoy the competition :mrgreen:

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 13 July 11 9:30 pm

I dont think having Munzees in a cache is cross listing them in the same way as having a cache on GC AND GCA. Munzees dont have GPX records, log books, online logs etc. They are close to virtual caches but you dont get "2 Finds" in the same way as another cache. You get 1 GCA find, and 1 set of mysterious Munzee points (that as yet do nothing but give kudos :P)

As I said I think it is a bit of extra geeky fun to add to a caching experience. You can either hide them in an existing cache, near an exisitng cache with directions from that cache, or in a new cache whose main purpose is to house the Munzee, or simply by themselves.

I will be listing all mine on GCA... probably as Puzzles with a container size "Virtual" .... until we get a "Munzee" Type :twisted: hahaha C@W will have to talk to the blokes in the states to see :)

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 13 July 11 9:38 pm

You make some good points Zal. I guess if the community decides that munzees can be listed as GCA then sweet. Tuena will be happy :D Regarding the brief notes on the munzee site it suggests that you hide a geocache (they talk about a range of sizes, etc) and put in the munzee in it (of course it can be on its own too). The nice idea of listing a munzee on GCA is that you can incorporate difficulty/terrain rating. These are not currently part of the munzee listing.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 13 July 11 11:10 pm

Not sure if it is relevant but...
I once did a puzzle cache that required you to first decode a QR code on the cache page and the one on the side of a bus stop to get the final coords...

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 14 July 11 9:49 am

Oh dear... I may have meantioned to the Munzee guys that the first ones have been placed in Australia and we could use our own forum tab there... this was their response to my asking for an "Oceania Section"

God Bless Americans :lol:

Either that or Tassie has recently struck a deal for independence I am unaware of since leaving home?! :shock:

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 14 July 11 1:53 pm

Zalgariath wrote:Oh dear... I may have meantioned to the Munzee guys that the first ones have been placed in Australia and we could use our own forum tab there... this was their response to my asking for an "Oceania Section"

Either that or Tassie has recently struck a deal for independence I am unaware of since leaving home?! :shock:
That's all we need.
Someone hide this from CraigRat... :-$

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 14 July 11 2:12 pm

fluffyfish wrote:Tuena will be happy :D
I purchased my mobile phone when the CDMA network was turned off. It is a long way from being modern but is reliable & gets a signal most places (but not Nerriga).

Always a pleasure to search for a fluffyfish cache, Munzeed or otherwise.

tronador

Post by tronador » 14 July 11 10:47 pm

Zalgariath wrote:Oh dear... I may have meantioned to the Munzee guys that the first ones have been placed in Australia and we could use our own forum tab there... this was their response to my asking for an "Oceania Section"

Now that made me laugh!!!!!
But .......ahhh..... what is a QR code???? :oops: Munzee???? :shock:

tronador

Post by tronador » 14 July 11 11:10 pm

Ok so my Android phone needs some sort of app??? I take a photo of something???? The app scans it for one of these bar codes????
How does the app. scan the bar code??? :shock: :oops: :oops:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 14 July 11 11:15 pm

tronador wrote:Ok so my Android phone needs some sort of app??? I take a photo of something???? The app scans it for one of these bar codes????
If it's like the iPhone, point the camera at the barcode while the app is running. It will then read the QR code and give you the info or redirect you to a website etc.

tronador

Post by tronador » 14 July 11 11:19 pm

Richary wrote:
tronador wrote:Ok so my Android phone needs some sort of app??? I take a photo of something???? The app scans it for one of these bar codes????
If it's like the iPhone, point the camera at the barcode while the app is running. It will then read the QR code and give you the info or redirect you to a website etc.
So does that mean it needs a data connection to run????