Munzees!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Re: Munzees!

Post by Dvixen » 02 September 12 2:52 am

Aaron posted up this about 20 minutes ago:
Our hosting company is experiencing a catastrophic failure causing us to be down all morning. I know how frustrated you are so we have assembled the troops and are firing up Plan B. We don't know how much longer the servers will be down but we are doing everything we can to fix this. -Aaron
:(

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 02 September 12 10:19 pm

Dvixen wrote:Aaron posted up this about 20 minutes ago:
Our hosting company is experiencing a catastrophic failure causing us to be down all morning. I know how frustrated you are so we have assembled the troops and are firing up Plan B. We don't know how much longer the servers will be down but we are doing everything we can to fix this. -Aaron
:(
Catastrophic is right ! The site is doing all sorts of weird things. Some bits are obviously up, but others aren't and that's causing very odd behaviour.

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by Dvixen » 03 September 12 11:13 pm

They've updated again:
We weren't planning on spending our weekend battling server problems but we know how much you guys were going to be out there capturing so we burned the midnight oil. All systems are go at this point. Please use our support system if you see any errors we missed. We are truly sorry for the downtime!
Man, the stressful weekend they must have had. :(

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 06 September 12 1:30 am

Yes, now they have paying players instead of free using guinea pigs this stuff must be much worse :(

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 10 September 12 9:22 am

Got this in an email today. Sounds interesting.
NFC (Near Field Communication) Munzees
If you have a newer Android device, you may have a new hardware feature included in your phone called NFC, or Near Field Communication. For those not familiar w/ NFC, it is a technology which allows radio communication between devies, or devices and 'tags' at a range of about 1-2 inches.

Watch a quick video

We decided after hitting one million captures to roll out NFC to the Munzee platform. Munzee is not replacing QR codes, but we feel that NFC will give users more options for creative hides. NFC tags are very thin stickers that can be used in some very unique applications. All a user has to do to deploy or capture a NFC Munzee is have an NFC enabled device and tap the Munzee NFC tag. It is that simple. Watch the example video above showing how it works. To make it easier to get started w/ NFC, we are selling 5 packs of NFC Munzees in our online store for $8.00 (shipping included!)

To our Munzers who use Apple devices, stay tuned for possible NFC support in future devices. With over 1 million NFC capapble devices selling a week, we couldn't wait until every phone supported it to introduce it to the Munzee platform. To learn more, check out the NFC Munzee Info Page.

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 10 September 12 7:22 pm

There's a cache that uses this technology somewhere in the inner west of Sydney.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 11 September 12 9:41 pm

Good news is they have moved to bigger servers so hopefully the site will stand up to the increased demand. Hit 1,000,000 Captures last week! :D

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 11 September 12 10:59 pm

I hit some today being at the Rocks then Central for work. 2 I had to scan and 4 virtuals. I really can't see the point of the virtuals, stand within 100 metres of a spot and score a find. A park then an ice cream shop. At Central I could score 2 virtuals without moving.

I have actually been half thinking about deleting the app and account, still in 2 minds. It gives me something to do occasionally when I am where there aren't any caches, but it is far down the list of things to keep me entertained.

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 11 September 12 11:21 pm

Yep, a Virtual Munzee really seems pointless to me too. I enjoy the game, although I do prefer caching. I just wish there were a few more Munzees down my way (apart from mine..all sitting there unloved, waiting for FTF [-o< )

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 15 September 12 12:40 am

Virtuals exist for basically one reason only... some people are like to buy tons of them and it generates income for the the Devs to pay for servers and stuff. Personally, I dont see the point of Virtuals 99% of the time.

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by Dvixen » 19 September 12 12:30 am

Virtuals are an odd duck - I don't really grok the point of using a lot of them - but have placed one just because I though it funny to place one close to where I used to live in Canada.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 19 September 12 2:48 pm

I see Zal is in Melbourne ploughing through our Munzees.

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 19 September 12 6:01 pm

gmj3191 wrote:I see Zal is in Melbourne ploughing through our Munzees.
And in Torquay, ploughing through mine, as the inaugural "Geek walk" walker \:D/

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 25 September 12 12:40 am

You need to come to Perth Pesky. The official centre of munzee madness in Oz. More than 2000 in Perth city environs.