Munzees!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
caughtatwork

Re: Munzees!

Post by caughtatwork » 08 August 11 1:55 pm

It may not have been a secret, but I can't really spot where is was made clear.
Nevertheless, whether it was secret or not, shame, shame, shame.
I wonder how they will deal with permission for the non-commercial aspects of the game.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 08 August 11 3:24 pm

Zalgariath wrote:
Damo. wrote:Going to get crowded on the coffee shop counters with things like hopshopper and ecoffee card loyalty schemes already using QR codes.
Yep... but this is geekier :twisted: We'll see where it goes. New things are always exciting when they are taking off... next week it could die in the ass or they could do something silly on the business front and everyone will lose (or was that loose in another thread :P) interest. I dont think so though. People tolerate GC's commercial Adds/TB's etc so as long as the devs dont do anything stupid it should keep being a fun game.

It will never replace caching for me, but Im having fun playing it alongside caching in the summer over here when I have lots of free time. Once I become restricted with work I'll probably just fall back on caching and only Munzee when it lines up with a box in the woods :D
Agree with all this.
The notion that it's free is a long way from the truth when you add up all the petrol costs, materials etc.
But when you look at the cost of going to a concert or the footy, it just doesn't compare on a cost per hour of enjoyment, although I do like the footy.
(You can stick concerts however :D)
People complain about paying $30 per year to GC.com. I reckon it's a bargain when you look at value for money.
Often when things are free, it's because, well, that's about what they're worth, and you don't have a sense of commitment because you have no skin in the game.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 08 August 11 3:33 pm

gmj3191 wrote: People complain about paying $30 per year to GC.com. I reckon it's a bargain when you look at value for money.
Agreed. I originally paid my premium membership out of feeling guilty about how much fun I was having for free. This was before I had a GPSr and just used my phone, so no need for GSAK or pocket queries.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 08 August 11 4:56 pm

I tried four times over the last week to find the Munzee at Mount Hotham whilst I was on holidays there. Between crowds, poor mobile coverage, a piss-poor navigation option in the programme itself (that compass is the size of a 5c piece!!!) and snow I did not manage to find it.

Oh well...

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 08 August 11 9:36 pm

It will be most interesting to see how things go after the "Honeymoon" period of peoples relationships with the game are over. At the moment, I am right behind it (obviously) and excited at the potential. But I still dont feel that affinity I have with caching which would be hard for me to give up (why would you want too?! :P) where as if Munzee shut down over night my reaction would probably "Oh well, that was fun".

I think the make or break period for the game will be after 3-4 months... November / Decemberish. (kinda like a real relationship :P). If the devs dont have it pretty much bug free and concreted by then, people will lose interest and the game will die off like so many other apps. They cant just reply on the current geocachers support base they will need to engage the iPhone generation.

Im hoping they make it, but in the mean time I just having as much fun with the concept as I can so if it does wane I can say I used it for many hours of good clean fun, and if it doesnt I got bragging rights at being an "old hand" for once hahaha

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 08 August 11 10:07 pm

I'm thinking that munzees will replace any desire I have to put out nano caches. They seem a more suitable and fun alternative. Guess this won't engage the gc.com only cachers but what they hey. I think munzees will troop on as more and more cachers will be "smartphone only" cachers. With more and more urban micros, they can keep themselves pretty busy without ever having to worry about tree coverage.

Hopefully the munzee devs can keep up with us users! Need improvements on the app side and they need to work out how they will pay for it all. But it is a great idea and I'm happy to be a "beta tester" for a while longer.

Renroc
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Renroc » 08 August 11 11:28 pm

Zalgariath wrote:
The idea was conceived as a commercial notion, never been a secret. At the moment I am more worried about how they treat the community, not if they turn a dollar or not... and so far, the guys have been excellent.
I'm afraid I have not had an excellent connection with them at all Zal. As stated on facebook. I have registered for their forums. Did it on Saturday Aus time and am still yet to get my email to confirm my membership to to forums. Tried to register again and it tells me that user name and email are already registered. Tried a different version of the user name and a different email. Did this last night Aus time. Still no confirmation email for that registration either. Went to the Munzee page and clicked the contact us link. Sent them an email explaining all the above. Did that 0700 today and 15hours later I have not had a reply to that either.

Yes before you all ask I have checked my junk mail. Unless both service providers have caught the messages and not let them through at all they have not gone into my junk mail.

SO as you can guess I am rather less than impressed with their forum organisation/software/contact system.

But I love the game. Have deployed 2 now and have 2 more ready. There are only 10 in my local area at this stage.

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 09 August 11 2:55 pm

fluffyfish wrote:I'm thinking that munzees will replace any desire I have to put out nano caches. They seem a more suitable and fun alternative.
I have to agree (in an urban situation).
No nasty wet tiny jammed in logs that when you extract you find they are full.
Munzees definitly have potential in that situation. 8)

lemmykc
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by lemmykc » 09 August 11 4:36 pm

Echo wrote:
fluffyfish wrote:I'm thinking that munzees will replace any desire I have to put out nano caches. They seem a more suitable and fun alternative.
I have to agree (in an urban situation).
No nasty wet tiny jammed in logs that when you extract you find they are full.
Munzees definitly have potential in that situation. 8)
+1

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 09 August 11 10:42 pm

News from Opecaching.us

BITcaching.com is now online with information about this exciting new cache type. A BIT cache (tm) is a paperless, containerless cache that anyone with a GPS can find. No worries about a container causing a security scare, endless hiding places are now available where a container wasn't feasible... and much more. Visit the site to learn more!

BITcaching.com - Geocaching for Bound ID Tags

Nice idea, but not exactly new.

Basically they are a new container-less cache type which are an extension of their previously existing "Password" caches. People can simply find them, record the password written on them, and then go home and log them online as usual... or scan the QR Code which opens up the cache page where you manually log the cache online... as usual?

All Im struggling to see how this is a new idea warranting its own website and implied copyright when all it is is a QR Code of a normal OCUS cache listing?! It is just a flat cache ... and there are thousands of these everywhere... with a password instead of a log book.... and you could do that on opencaching.org anyway?!

Nice, but odd!

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 10 August 11 7:26 pm

They would suffer from the same problems as your London Munzees Zal, half of them have probably burnt down!

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 11 August 11 8:08 pm

Richary wrote:They would suffer from the same problems as your London Munzees Zal, half of them have probably burnt down!
Luckily Munzopoly is based in the city centre which was (relatively) incident free :D Phew!

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 11 August 11 9:11 pm

Zalgariath wrote:
Richary wrote:They would suffer from the same problems as your London Munzees Zal, half of them have probably burnt down!
Luckily Munzopoly is based in the city centre which was (relatively) incident free :D Phew!
On the other hand, there's probably a lot more smartphones in circulation now than earlier in the week :roll:

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 13 August 11 6:03 pm

hey just a thought those of you that have deployed your munzze's how do you keep track of them ?
Have any of you a GPX file that could be uploaded ??

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 13 August 11 7:26 pm

Rigger64 wrote:hey just a thought those of you that have deployed your munzze's how do you keep track of them ?
Have any of you a GPX file that could be uploaded ??
Owners can see a list of their deployed Munzees, and can look at the finds on each one, and any logs, individually.
We need some enhancements to assist with maintenance, otherwise it's a bit reliant on people telling the owners that their munzee has a problem, by email.
Ideally, they will list the number of finds and the last found date against each munzee and if one looks like it has a problem it can be investigated by the owner.

A GPX would be great but there are a lot of things needed at the moment and its a matter of priorities.
This thing is only a few weeks old, so its still very much evolving.
The Munzee forum is worth looking through. It's available via the Munzee site.