Munzees!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Re: Munzees!

Post by MtnLioness » 20 July 11 10:05 pm

Zalgariath wrote:
MtnLioness wrote:There is none yet in Adelaide.... Hmmmm..... :twisted: :twisted: \:D/

Should I ??

Zal, I may require your design services!
Zalgar's Munzee Templates :D
You need a Munzee account to see the files apparently... but then you need the account to play the game. It's Free!
That comment IS after I signed up and looked around, LOL.
There are none currently in Adelaide!!

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 21 July 11 8:44 am

gmj3191 wrote:Also, when deploying Munzees, its pretty pointless using the templates as you just see the QR code, grab it, and you're on your way.
The only time you might want to use a template (which I can think of) is when the Munzee in a very public display situation, like the inside of a window looking out into a public space, and you might want people to look at it and see what it is.
Its purely a cosmetic thing really, and it adds details that are not on the "Official/Standard" template like the Munzee name, the owner, owners contact details... and they look pretty :D

Compare finding an unadorned film pot or eclipse tin with a scrap of rubbish paper it, and nothing else... to a custom camo'd one with the GC Code, Cache name, owners details and neatly presented log book.

Exactly the same time required to grab, sign and be gone, but over all I know which one I'd rather find and which will bring a smile to me rather then be forgotten 2 seconds later 8)

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 21 July 11 9:56 am

I'd be interested in finding out the percentage of Munzee Account Holders who are also GC Account Holders. From the quick peruse I did of Zal's links to the Forums there were a lot of GC banners in signatures!

I've promised Chip that I will not get (too) addicted to Munzees... Although I have noticed that there are a good number along our route to Mt Hotham next week, including one at Hotham itself (how could she possible expect me to say no to that!!!).

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 21 July 11 12:58 pm

ATMA, an American Caching team, were saying the other day they placed an Australian Munzee... cause they accidently stuck it in place upside down... I had a giggle... which then blossomed into an IDEA! :o

Head over to the Download Thread and see what new pretty colours you can add to your next patriotic deployment in the form of ZalSkinz Pack 3!!! :D

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 21 July 11 2:53 pm

Zalgariath wrote:Head over to the Download Thread and see what new pretty colours you can add to your next patriotic deployment in the form of ZalSkinz Pack 3!!! :D
Shameless self promotion! :P

But very nice skins, you'll be seing them on some of mine. \:D/

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 21 July 11 8:56 pm

Of interest to me is the placement method.
So far I've seen 5 types.
1) Glued to the object.
Is a pretty permanent solution but it can be a difficult to get your phone in position if the munzee is hidden out of direct sight, or under something.

2) Laminated and held on with a small magnet.
Is my favourite as you can retrieve it, hold it for the phone cam, and then replace it. Prone to muggling however I guess.

3) Printed on a fridge magnet backing
Nearly as good as 2) but the one I did like this today was found on the ground as the magnet is not very strong and I think it blew off the base object.

4) Stuck on with contac
Similar to 1) but probably not as secure. I've done most of mine like this and I'll need to check how well the contact lasts, and it's weakened by dust on the surface of the base object.

5) Laminated and hidden loose.
OK if you have somewhere secure to put it.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 21 July 11 11:24 pm

gmj3191 wrote:Of interest to me is the placement method.
So far I've seen 5 types.
1) Glued to the object.
<snip>
5) Laminated and hidden loose.
OK if you have somewhere secure to put it.
5b) aka Inside another object. The most obvious one being placed in or glued to the lid of an existing (or new!) geocache. Camo Pouches, tubes, Gnomes, fake logs, attached to bottom of rocks, magnetic key safes, even a Toy Frog ;)... just please lord no eclipse tins ;) Get creative.

6) Cable Ties - Laminate with a generous plastic border - use a hole punch (careful not to pierce the 'paper' bit, or it will leak) - cable tie to object. Less prone to muggling, and If you only do say the top and/or keep the ties loose, you can get movement allowing easier scanning and re-hiding while being attached to a solid object :D

7) Wire / Fishing Line- Again a laminate variant - Punch a hole in the Munzee plastic, get some thin wire or line... insert behind or hang off things. (good tacks make useful anchors).

Im sure people will come up with all sorts of things

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 July 11 9:04 am

Munzees glued to permanent structures and things without permission seems like a very bad idea.
I see a debate occuring there.

Maybe we could all refer to the Munzee Code of Conduct.
http://www.munzee.com/wiki/Code_of_Conduct

Or not, as the case may be.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 22 July 11 10:00 am

caughtatwork wrote:Munzees glued to permanent structures and things without permission seems like a very bad idea.
I see a debate occuring there.

Maybe we could all refer to the Munzee Code of Conduct.
http://www.munzee.com/wiki/Code_of_Conduct

Or not, as the case may be.
Lol... under construction obviously. Not a fan of glue... they should be able to be removed, albeit with some effort. Cable ties are my method of choice. Stuck in place, but cuttable to remove if need be... lucky as I have to remove my Hyde Park ones :(

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 July 11 10:04 am

While GCA has no rules about cache placement I would be just as disappointed as anyone else if someone glued a GCA cache to a structure.

I think permanent attachment without permission is not personally acceptable, but the community (Munzee) will rule I suppose. Are there are proposed guidelines for Munzee placements?

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 22 July 11 7:33 pm

caughtatwork wrote:While GCA has no rules about cache placement I would be just as disappointed as anyone else if someone glued a GCA cache to a structure.

I think permanent attachment without permission is not personally acceptable, but the community (Munzee) will rule I suppose. Are there are proposed guidelines for Munzee placements?
http://www.munzee.com/wiki/Munzee_Guide ... e_a_Munzee

Rules for placing a Munzee

Munzees must be placed according to (but not limited to) the following rules:
A Munzee needs to be placed in a manner that promotes safe and reasonable gameplay.
The placement of a munzee and the actions taken needing to capture it must not break any local, state or federal laws.
A Munzee cannot be placed on private property without permission. This needs to be granted from the property representative or owner (not the barista*)
A Munzee cannot be placed on airport property. Suspicious activity at an airport is going to be a problem.
A Munzee cannot be placed within 500 feet of a municipal building, school, playground, pool, or memorial area.
A Munzee needs to be placed a 'reasonable distance' away from other Munzees.
There is not a currently a set rule, however it is a strong guideline. Over-saturation is no fun for anyone!
Place your Munzee with respect to the local environment.

Misc
Can I place a munzee in an existing geocache container? Absolutely! We have no objections to it as long as the cache owner doesn't mind.

You *MUST* have fun!! :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 July 11 8:07 pm

Is a street sign private property?

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 22 July 11 10:00 pm

When a munzee is found, the owner doesn't get an email or any other form of notification.
You have to go and see if the find count has incremented.
This greatly reduced the gratification you get from having your munzees found.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 22 July 11 10:04 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Is a street sign private property?
Just about anything is owned by someone. I wouldn't call public signs, fences, etc. private property, but we should be very careful not to deface anything.
I see no issue with putting things like munzees on these types of structures provided they are out of sight and not visibly defacing these structures. Pretty much the same as caching rules really.

darth trader
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
Twitter: darthtrader77

Post by darth trader » 22 July 11 11:00 pm

[quote=".. just please lord no eclipse tins ;) Get creative.
[/quote]

I was actually thinking of electroplating an eclipse tin....