Minimalist Cache Logs -- Opinions Wanted

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Damo.

Re: Minimalist Cache Logs -- Opinions Wanted

Post by Damo. » 29 February 12 11:14 am

Well this thread has taken an ironic turn!
We have the first 6 pages encouraging people to delete logs that are too short and don't mention finding the cache, didn't describe their experience blah blah blah with some justifying deleting these as being their duty as CO. Someone's logs get deleted because they didn't meet the COs logging requirements of "logs that said I had found the cache" and you're falling over yourselves to criticise the CO?

I don't think bikerbuddy's logs should have been deleted. Seems like a really petty thing to do. But deleting someone's log because they only wrote TFTC is petty as well.

Some comments made on the previous page in support of bikerbuddy might be worth keeping in mind next time you get a TFTC log.

"Pretty off.....deleting logs which don't match their idea of appropriate"
"the CO needs to learn that you don't delete a log just because you don't like the style and/or the writer."
"it takes no effort not to read them."
"in the end they cannot delete your log if you found the cache."

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 29 February 12 11:21 am

Damo. wrote:Well this thread has taken an ironic turn!
We have the first 6 pages encouraging people to delete logs that are too short and don't mention finding the cache, didn't describe their experience blah blah blah with some justifying deleting these as being their duty as CO. Someone's logs get deleted because they didn't meet the COs logging requirements of "logs that said I had found the cache" and you're falling over yourselves to criticise the CO?

I don't think bikerbuddy's logs should have been deleted. Seems like a really petty thing to do. But deleting someone's log because they only wrote TFTC is petty as well.

Some comments made on the previous page in support of bikerbuddy might be worth keeping in mind next time you get a TFTC log.

"Pretty off.....deleting logs which don't match their idea of appropriate"
"the CO needs to learn that you don't delete a log just because you don't like the style and/or the writer."
"it takes no effort not to read them."
"in the end they cannot delete your log if you found the cache."

As the author of at least one of those comments above, I've never suggested that anyone should delete TFTC logs.... Yes, they might be annoying but they are, like it or not, valid and 'appropriate' (just as bikerbuddy's logs might have been annoying to the CO, but is still perfectly valid). We can encourage longer logs and show people why we might appreciate them, but I'd never advocate deleting them just because we don't like them. They're still valid find logs.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 29 February 12 3:21 pm

Happy Chappies wrote:... They're still valid find logs.
Unlike blank logs... oh wait! ](*,)

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 29 February 12 3:48 pm

Happy Chappies wrote:As the author of at least one of those comments above, I've never suggested that anyone should delete TFTC logs.... Yes, they might be annoying but they are, like it or not, valid and 'appropriate' (just as bikerbuddy's logs might have been annoying to the CO, but is still perfectly valid). We can encourage longer logs and show people why we might appreciate them, but I'd never advocate deleting them just because we don't like them. They're still valid find logs.
As the author of one of the others, I'll second this.
I've never seriously advocated deleting anyone's log, even the TFTC or :) ones, even if they don't match my idea of appropriate.

(Edited as I had to hit 'sumbit' too early..then again to remove some stuff because I misread something..my bad)

bikerbuddy
2350 or more caches found
2350 or more caches found

Post by bikerbuddy » 06 March 12 8:10 am

Thankyou to everyone who expressed support last week when I posted about my deleted logs. I have received an email from Groundspeak this morning saying that my logs will be restored within the week: "we have asked the cache owner to restore the logs as they do not violate the Terms of Use".

I thought I would end by contributing something to the main discussion of this thread. I have deleted two logs in the past. Both times the people in question admitted that they did not find the cache. Apart from that, I have received blank logs and my share of the "TFTC" variety. Naturally they can be disappointing. But I figure that I put out caches for my own reasons, and people find them for theirs. Some just want the smiley, others an experience. If I am happy to put out the cache (and I always have been) and someone else is happy with their minimalist log, then so be it. We all do geocaching, but geocaching is not one game. How I play it, how you play it, how they play it, must make each of us happy, or why do we continue? I'm happy to put out the cache, and if good logs are a part of the reward, there will be enough of them along the way. Cheers.

FelixII
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by FelixII » 06 March 12 1:11 pm

Just another note for bikerbuddy.

We often write lengthy logs that have more about the group we are with or where we came from if the cache itself is just a mint tin under a seat, on a fence or plastic box in a local garden bed.

However you would be amazed at the number of people we have met who know of us and can tell me all about my previous logs.

We often get oh you are the one who doesn't do puzzles, or you have the electric pushbikes, or how did you do 100 caches in a day etc etc.

They might not be the CO's but boy our logs surely get read and remembered and I am sure yours do too!

Keep on logging the way you enjoy logging and the way you as a CO would like to receive logs. That's our 2cents worth. :P :frog

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 06 March 12 6:24 pm

As a CO, one of the things I enjoy is reading about the finder's experiences finding the cache and how they enjoyed it.

That includes why they were in the area at the time and what made them decide to do my cache, anything interesting that may have been happening around the cache area at the time, any adventures or misdadventures during the hunt, cache condition etc etc.

SInce I enjoy reading those things from people finding my cache, I guess I just assume that other CO's will enjoy the same thing and write my logs accordingly.

If I've found a lot of caches in the same run, I might have some copy-n-paste sentences that I put in every log, but I always try to include an individual remark or two about each one.

I usually include what find number it is overall and for the day, but that bit is mainly for me.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 March 12 6:41 pm

juc_cacher: Average of 127 words per log
That's a nice number.

c@w:Average of 96 words per log
I'm slipping, it used to be over 100.

bikerbuddy: Average of 82 words per log
Hmmm, maybe not quite as verbose in the early days.

A random TFTC cacher: Average of 14 words per log
Another random TFTC cacher: Average of 28 words per log

I think the stats speak for themselves. Some are simply not into long logs and unlikely to change their habits.

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 07 March 12 10:57 am

bikerbuddy wrote:Thankyou to everyone who expressed support last week when I posted about my deleted logs. I have received an email from Groundspeak this morning saying that my logs will be restored within the week: "we have asked the cache owner to restore the logs as they do not violate the Terms of Use".
Great to hear it turned out in your favour and that Groundspeak could see the difference between inappropriate and just 'different'...

Mind you, I notice he hasn't restored the log yet.... I'll be watching with interest to see if/when he does.

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 07 March 12 11:32 am

caughtatwork wrote:A random TFTC cacher: Average of 14 words per log
Hoojar's General Statistics wrote:Verbosity Average of 35 words per log
Longest log of 482 words on Its not a bone by Wilbert67
Shortest log of 3 words on Oxford Street by cphoenix
I've cached for six years, hate iPhones, hate smart phone caching, and have over 3,000 finds...

... but I'm only just above these word counts... I guess you'll have to include me from now on in the sweeping negative statements about "iPhone Cachers!"

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 07 March 12 12:03 pm

Hoojar wrote: I've cached for six years, hate iPhones, hate smart phone caching, and have over 3,000 finds...

... but I'm only just above these word counts... I guess you'll have to include me from now on in the sweeping negative statements about "iPhone Cachers!"
Can do .....

s_mc500
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by s_mc500 » 07 March 12 12:50 pm

s_mc500 Verbosity
Average of 28 words per log
Longest log of 110 words
Shortest log of 1 words

hmmm I thought I wrote a bit on my logs, but a bunch of the moving cache (gnomes/frogs) logs have just been quick "found" while in the field so others don't look for it.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 March 12 3:56 pm

Hoojar wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:A random TFTC cacher: Average of 14 words per log
Hoojar's General Statistics wrote:Verbosity Average of 35 words per log
Longest log of 482 words on Its not a bone by Wilbert67
Shortest log of 3 words on Oxford Street by cphoenix
I've cached for six years, hate iPhones, hate smart phone caching, and have over 3,000 finds...

I wouldn't assume that. As I mentioned "Some are simply not into long logs and unlikely to change their habits." If you are not into making long logs, trying to shame you into making longer logs is of no use. Shaming people who use mobile devices to log is not going to change their habits either. It's one of the things we need to accept and simply move on.

lemmykc
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by lemmykc » 07 March 12 5:48 pm

A bit off topic, but how can you measure your average log word count? Before you say GSAK, I don't have or have access to GSAK. So another way please?

oakydog
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by oakydog » 07 March 12 6:07 pm

lemmykc wrote:A bit off topic, but how can you measure your average log word count? Before you say GSAK, I don't have or have access to GSAK. So another way please?
Try here http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/statist ... kc/general

TFTQ