Minimalist Cache Logs -- Opinions Wanted

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Re: Minimalist Cache Logs -- Opinions Wanted

Post by Rigger64 » 07 August 11 2:18 pm

Well i think that it is quite Rude to get a blank log or "Logged from my mobile device" or just "TFTC".
Since getting my new DAKOTA20 i can at least put a field note so when after a busy day of caching it will jog my memory, as to what i thought of the cache.
I do like zal's blank log reply yes i have grabed a copy of it.
As i have been looking through this topic i had one cacher log three of my caches one had a not bad log then the other's had two words. "one down" & Bring Gumboots"
How pour. ](*,)

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 07 August 11 3:01 pm

Another set of pointless logs is:

Heckle: found with Jeckle.

Jeckle: found with Heckle.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 08 August 11 11:00 am

CraigRat wrote:
Laighside Legends wrote:
Zalgariath wrote: All users of the wiki have a page... *somone* has set up a redirect to go to zals page instead of the usual way of gettign to it.

(Here's mine: http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/User:CraigRat)
That *someone* may also be an idiot and didnt know how to use tags properly... and couldnt them figure out how to remove the redirect from the main page once he worked out how to put his page in the correct area and would be appreciative if a higher life form (or faerie) could please fix his embarrassing error :oops:
Last edited by Zalgariath on 08 August 11 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 08 August 11 11:20 am

Zalgariath wrote: ..........would be appreciative if a higher life form (or fairy) could please fix his embarrassing error :oops:
Careful, the faeries don't like being referred to as fairies. Who knows what dark wrath this careless comment could bring down on you ....

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 08 August 11 11:31 am

gmj3191 wrote:
Zalgariath wrote: ..........would be appreciative if a higher life form (or fairy) could please fix his embarrassing error :oops:
Careful, the faeries don't like being referred to as fairies. Who knows what dark wrath this careless comment could bring down on you ....
I have no idea what you are talking about... edit what?! Lies I say! (but would still appreciate the help :P)

s_mc500
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by s_mc500 » 08 August 11 2:54 pm

I like reading logs on caches that I've already found to see other peoples experiences, gets boring when someone does a big cache run in an area and cuts/pastes the same thing on each cache.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 08 August 11 3:27 pm

s_mc500 wrote:I like reading logs on caches that I've already found to see other peoples experiences, gets boring when someone does a big cache run in an area and cuts/pastes the same thing on each cache.
Interested in your logo.
I wouldn't think many cachers would know what it is ....

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 08 August 11 4:12 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
s_mc500 wrote:I like reading logs on caches that I've already found to see other peoples experiences, gets boring when someone does a big cache run in an area and cuts/pastes the same thing on each cache.
Interested in your logo.
Why not?, there is a locationless dedicated to them... :D

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 08 August 11 4:39 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:
Interested in your logo.
Why not?, there is a locationless dedicated to them... :D
Glad they're useful for something then ...

ruralslicker
Location: Churchill Vic 3842 (Latrobe Valley) 160 km east of Melbourne

Post by ruralslicker » 31 January 12 8:58 am

An old thread, but worth a bump.

This thread (and another similar one) made extremely interesting reading for me. I only own a few caches, but I notice some of the recent logs are extremely brief - e.g.: "Found and logged", "Found it", and "Log to follow" (has never happened).

As others have already stated, I'm assuming this minimalist trend is because of the total dependence on smartphones for geocaching.

I'm now seriously considering adding to my existing cache descriptions something along the lines of the following suggestion:
ian-and-penny wrote:I put the following at the bottom of each cache page. And ruthlessly police it.
When logging your find on line,your feedback will be extremely useful - so please add something about your Geocaching experience in your log, even just the condition of the container would help. Logs that are blank, or only contain the words "sent from my mobile device" will be deleted.

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 31 January 12 1:28 pm

ALR? :-"

squalid
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by squalid » 01 February 12 12:02 pm

I appreciate as much as anyone, a nice log about one of my caches. And, I am disappointed by the occasional log which says something like 'found' and nothing else. ](*,) I wouldn't delete it though.
To me writing the logs is a big part of geocaching and I just hope that most of us cachers realise that.

gajinoz
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by gajinoz » 01 February 12 1:11 pm

Glad I found this thread, I was sort of wondering about logs. I was never really sure just how much stuff I should write in the log when I record it on the website so I kept mine short and to the point. Seems people want a bit of a story so I won't be worried about rabbitting on a bit next time I find a cache. Don't worry, I'll keep it to less than 10 pages ..... :)

Slightly more seriously, when I hide my first one, (in the next day or two), I hope people leave some sort of comment on what they think of it and maybe a suggestion if they think it could be better or suchlike.

As for the logs in the cache itself, so far I've just put my name and date, I assumed that this is all that was required.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 01 February 12 3:46 pm

gajinoz wrote:Glad I found this thread, I was sort of wondering about logs. I was never really sure just how much stuff I should write in the log when I record it on the website so I kept mine short and to the point. Seems people want a bit of a story so I won't be worried about rabbitting on a bit next time I find a cache. Don't worry, I'll keep it to less than 10 pages ..... :)

Slightly more seriously, when I hide my first one, (in the next day or two), I hope people leave some sort of comment on what they think of it and maybe a suggestion if they think it could be better or suchlike.

As for the logs in the cache itself, so far I've just put my name and date, I assumed that this is all that was required.
Write as much as you like! But put in paragraph breaks if you can. I often enjoy a long log as long as it's not one massive block of text. In the paper log it's become a signature and date thing for most. A few years ago when we started we wrote more but with more micros etc the habit of signing and going set in.
However when you hike through the bush for an hour or more you tend to write a fair bit more in the logbook, this will always entertain other finders as well.

Most experienced cachers will give constructive criticism to new hiders so don't worry. Without the noobs the sport would decline.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Cache Logs -- More is Better -- Paragraphs are Great

Post by pjmpjm » 01 February 12 4:36 pm

Yurt wrote: Write as much as you like! But put in paragraph breaks if you can. I often enjoy a long log as long as it's not one massive block of text.
We ex English teachers thank you for reminding everyone of this simple but extremely useful technique!

And all cache owners (COs) love to hear more rather than less in logs from finders.