NZ MEGA 2012 - an update

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The Spindoctors

Re: NZ MEGA 2012 - an update

Post by The Spindoctors » 02 May 12 8:58 am

Found the photo.

Moneydork
10000 or more caches found

Post by Moneydork » 18 May 12 12:54 am

From my post in the http://gps.org.nz forums

The NZ MEGA Organising Committee encourages anyone to get into the spirit of Pathtags and Geocoins. Designs for both are at your own imagination. These may be swapped within teams throughout the lead up months to NZ MEGA 2012.

The main theme for the NZ MEGA is the yellow eyed penguin.
Other themes that are relevant include the Kiwi, the Royal Albatross, the Silver Fern and the New Zealand Fur Seal.
The Octagon shape and Otago's regional colours Blue & Gold are also relevant, as are links to Dunedin's Scottish heritage.

The NZ MEGA Organising Committee have developed "Geofeet", a yellow eyed penguin mascot for the event, however we would prefer to keep our "Geofeet" artwork aside, for our own official NZ MEGA geocoin and pathtag productions and for other forms of official publication related to the MEGA.

>> Needless to say, Geofeet is the penguin in the photo.

The Empire
3000 or more caches found

Post by The Empire » 19 May 12 12:36 am

No sheep?

Moneydork

Post by Moneydork » 19 May 12 11:17 am

The Empire wrote:No sheep?
Wow - You must be the cleverest Australian there is to come up with that one - how did you come up with something so original.
I know Australians seem to be facinated by NZ sheep, but NZ doesn't have many sheep now - most of the farm land was converted to dairy farms in the 1980s and 1990s and is covered in Dairy cows now.
Fresian Cows and Jersey Cows...

Of course, being a Mexican, you'll already know that there's nothing better than a tight Jersey to keep you warm on a cold winter's morning, won't you!

The Empire

Post by The Empire » 19 May 12 3:02 pm

Soooo... no cows?

Moneydork

Post by Moneydork » 19 May 12 3:15 pm

The Empire wrote:Soooo... no cows?
No - not original enough. BTW - I like your new Earthcache.

The Empire

Post by The Empire » 19 May 12 3:21 pm

Moneydork wrote:
The Empire wrote:Soooo... no cows?
No - not original enough. BTW - I like your new Earthcache.
Thanks!

Really looking forward to the NZ Mega, just gotta get my flights organised! \:D/

squalid
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by squalid » 27 May 12 7:27 pm

Moneydork wrote:
The Empire wrote:No sheep?
Wow - You must be the cleverest Australian there is to come up with that one - how did you come up with something so original.
I know Australians seem to be facinated by NZ sheep, but NZ doesn't have many sheep now - most of the farm land was converted to dairy farms in the 1980s and 1990s and is covered in Dairy cows now.
Fresian Cows and Jersey Cows...

Of course, being a Mexican, you'll already know that there's nothing better than a tight Jersey to keep you warm on a cold winter's morning, won't you!
Well, my pathtag design for the NZ Mega features a sheep, and I'm a Kiwi :D I tried ages ago to find out what the logos would be and couldn't get an official answer so just used my initiative.
Still, I like the Yellow-eyed penguin. Might have to get a tag with that on it too!

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 28 May 12 10:11 pm

I flew into Auckland yesterday for work, and went to the Telecom NZ store at the airport. It turns out my Optus Huawei E180 dongle isn't compatible with the NZ frequencies, so I bought an NZ dongle (or work did anyway). With SIM this comes with 2 GB of data valid for 60 days and cost NZ$79. Whenever someone comes back we will just top it up.

Seems to be working OK here in Auckland with about 6Mbps download speed according to speedtest.net. So that's one option for those that want data during the mega.

FelixII

Post by FelixII » 29 May 12 11:34 pm

any idea if Telstra Wireless internet modem is compatible?

I thought I would either just swap sim in that or input sim into my HTC phone and use phone and computer for internet???? :-k

Richary

Post by Richary » 30 May 12 9:54 pm

FelixII wrote:I thought I would either just swap sim in that or input sim into my HTC phone and use phone and computer for internet???? :-k
You would need to check if the Telecom NZ (or whoever you go with) prepaid plan allows tethering from the phone to the PC or not. Our Optus business plan back in Oz didn't and I had to get it untethered, but still ended up with the PC dongle (I needed my Australian number to still be available on the phone for this trip).

Moneydork

Post by Moneydork » 31 May 12 8:59 pm

I use an iphone and swap sims as I move between the two counties.
Telecom and Telstra both support personal hotspot functionality on the iphone (allowing you to use it as a wifi hotspot for computers to access) - if that helps.

The issue is probably more one of whether the bands used by Telecom are compatable with the dongle that you have in Aussie.

FelixII

Post by FelixII » 01 June 12 1:39 am

:x Grrr After spending the last 1/2 hour on the phone with telstra trying to sort out my prepaid broadband account that expires on the 3rd June I really have no faith that I can get this system to work in NZ :?

We have 2 HTC phones 1 locked to Telstra (Aus) and 1 owned by us (so should be able to do whatever with it?) Then of course the prepaid Telstra mobile broadband which we thought we could just change the sim in??????????????

Why are things just so complicated! Grrr 8-[

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 01 June 12 9:48 am

Air New Zealand have another special on,

$100 off for return flight back

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by mtbikeroz » 22 June 12 9:03 pm

From the MAY Newsletter - "Note that we cannot yet accept international payments, but we should be able to support international payments through PayPal in 2-3 weeks time. If you are intending on paying via PayPal, please do not complete the Registration form until we confirm that we have PayPal arrangements in place – we will be sure to email everyone as soon as it is ready!"

Any News yet?