Steganography tools

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found

Steganography tools

Post by Happy Chappies » 04 July 11 4:13 pm

Hi all,

I've just entered the world of steganography (kicking and screaming I might add!) due to a few fiendish puzzle caches down this way which have peaked my interest.... (Damn curiosity getting ahead of my general capability and IQ levels!)

So I'm wondering what tools people have used out there in terms of decoding steganography puzzles... I've been playing with lots of free downloads and online tools but none are helping me do what I want to. (Which of course may mean there's no 'easy way' to decode and I'm wasting my time in hopeful vain)

Cheers

Eddie

caughtatwork

Re: Steganography tools

Post by caughtatwork » 04 July 11 4:18 pm

There are many and varied.
Generally the puzzle will indicate which one and what key (thingy) you need.
Which ones?*

*Not that I'm going to give an answer, just sticky beaking.

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 04 July 11 4:22 pm

caughtatwork wrote:There are many and varied.
Generally the puzzle will indicate which one and what key (thingy) you need.
Which ones?*

*Not that I'm going to give an answer, just sticky beaking.
Let's just say that a certain Mr B. Bear is causing me the grief right now.... Not sure if it's the same approach in the few I'm looking at (The Diabolical series and Stego (dash) cache) but I'm intrigued by the lot of them....

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 July 11 4:30 pm

Right.
Done them both.
Easy, peasy :-)
Actually one is easy, the other I'm not sure is that easy as I think there is a logic leap you need to make (or be persistent).

PrincessDiala
2300 or more caches found
2300 or more caches found

Post by PrincessDiala » 04 July 11 6:04 pm

When I first discovered steganography, I had the owner help me out - I'd never even heard of it before! (Think learning about it when you'd found <100 caches. Still newbie right!)
And then I found out about BB cache in the middle of the bay, and just flat out asked him what the software he used to crypt it as I didn't want to download every possible program available on the net and risk my PC. I did however try a few online things firstly....

I've found that owners are not THAT mean, if at least you've shown some innitative to solve it first.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 04 July 11 11:17 pm

Pesky! wrote:hey C@W has anyone told you that if you stare at your pathtag design long enough it starts to look like a big nosed buck tooth face with a moustache?
sorry not meaning to insult, but i just caught the image out of the corner of my eye,and thought, hey What a big nose he has!
sorry..
we now return you to your regular programmed geocaching forum.
There is a pathtag by Z that contains multiple puzzles on it for multiple caches! Now that's one way to really make you think. :D

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found

Post by Captain Terror » 04 July 11 11:37 pm

Ooh, I've always wondered how to do an image steganograph. Not so easy without something like photoshop.

lemmykc
2500 or more caches found

Post by lemmykc » 05 July 11 9:41 pm

iSteg for mac looks pretty good if you have a mac..........

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 10 July 11 10:34 pm

Actually it can be done with Notepad. PNGs have the capacity for a comment in the image which doesn't do anything to change the actualy image.

lemmykc

Post by lemmykc » 10 July 11 10:45 pm

norkmeister wrote:Actually it can be done with Notepad. PNGs have the capacity for a comment in the image which doesn't do anything to change the actualy image.
Most of the puzzles are BMPs, can you still use Notepad for BMPs? If so, can you explain it please?! I am sure we are all interested :lol: :D

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 11 July 11 11:44 pm

lemmykc wrote:
norkmeister wrote:Actually it can be done with Notepad. PNGs have the capacity for a comment in the image which doesn't do anything to change the actualy image.
Most of the puzzles are BMPs, can you still use Notepad for BMPs? If so, can you explain it please?! I am sure we are all interested :lol: :D
Don't know about embedding text in BMPs. Here is a png with an embedded political message. Knock yourself out.

rudi63
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by rudi63 » 15 July 11 10:31 am

I got interested in this after reading a Tom Clancy Novel. I placed a cache (GC2MK3B) using this techniquie. I tried the notepad combination method, which worked on my PC but for some reason after uploading the images to GC, dragging them back did not allow me to get the txt file out of the image. I found a simple program on the net, JPHSwin, which worked well, and the cache was born. :mrgreen:

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 15 July 11 7:33 pm

rudi63 wrote:I got interested in this after reading a Tom Clancy Novel. I placed a cache (GC2MK3B) using this techniquie. I tried the notepad combination method, which worked on my PC but for some reason after uploading the images to GC, dragging them back did not allow me to get the txt file out of the image. I found a simple program on the net, JPHSwin, which worked well, and the cache was born. :mrgreen:
It's probably because if the image is:
1: Not a JPG
2: Wider than 600 pixels
3: Bigger than 120k

The image will be converted and the embedded secret will be lost.