Finding seemingly archived caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found

Finding seemingly archived caches

Post by MtnLioness » 02 July 11 10:04 pm

I tried trawling through the search mode to find the thread I am sure I read once with someone giving the link on how to find an archived cache but I simply cannot find it so am making another thread in it's stead.

I am sure I found a cache at the Brisbane DFO but now cannot find it.
I am wanting to cache the Harbourtown in Adelaide and have been knocked back for not obtaining the Adelaide Airport Authority for permission.
I want to use the Brisbane cache I am sure I found as a help for my argument.
Can someone help? #-o

caughtatwork

Re: Finding seemingly archived caches

Post by caughtatwork » 02 July 11 10:22 pm

http://geocaching.com.au/caches/archived/au/qld/
Click on the Google Maps link.
Zoom in to the Brisbane DFO region and see if it comes up.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 02 July 11 10:24 pm

You used to be able to search for archived caches but not sure that you can any more. Best bet may be to post a rough coordinate to see if someone has it in their database.

That said I'm fairly sure that from past experience a prior placed cache forms no precedence for any other cache but I can't seem to find that in the guidelines.

Would it by chance be this one? http://coord.info/GC112NR

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 02 July 11 10:26 pm

Remember though: With GC caches it says 'THERE IS NO PRECEDENT' with regards to disputes. Just because one was approved somewhere else because of a reason it doesn't mean the approvers have to take that in consideration for your cache if they don't want to.

Good luck!

Edit:Dammit Matt, you beat me to it.

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 02 July 11 10:59 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:You used to be able to search for archived caches but not sure that you can any more. Best bet may be to post a rough coordinate to see if someone has it in their database.

That said I'm fairly sure that from past experience a prior placed cache forms no precedence for any other cache but I can't seem to find that in the guidelines.

Would it by chance be this one? http://coord.info/GC112NR
YES!!
Thank you!
That's it! (I think......)
But..... For some reason I have not "found" it.
You have... is it a nano in the metal hinge that holds up a pole support for the overhang? (that's what I remember but I can't figure out who I would have been with for the find as Dad doesn't have a log there either!)

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 02 July 11 11:07 pm

Ok, I am a dope, it is this one - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC1173X
A Canberra one!
Im just wondering......

There are a good half dozen caches ON AIRPORT property in Caboolture, Brisbane and Canberra alone that I have found.
I seriously doubt they have each gotten Airport Authority approval to place their caches.... why then do I have to?

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 02 July 11 11:43 pm

The Canberra one doesn't look to be on airport property.

Thinking back it isn't, it is just a shopping area.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 03 July 11 12:13 am

MtnLioness wrote:Ok, I am a dope, it is this one - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC1173X
A Canberra one!
Im just wondering......

There are a good half dozen caches ON AIRPORT property in Caboolture, Brisbane and Canberra alone that I have found.
I seriously doubt they have each gotten Airport Authority approval to place their caches.... why then do I have to?
Well the one you mention was placed in 2007. Back then the "rules" about placements on private property/airports probably weren't as strongly enforced. I suspect if you tried to place a physical cache inside the airport terminal it would have been obvious to the reviewers who would have knocked it back. Putting it in a publicly accessible area back then would be less likely to cause questions.

Nowadays things seem to be a bit more locked down, and if the reviewer has indicated it needs permission, then it needs permission as far as GC is concerned. There isn't much you can do about it - old caches are not a precedent for new hides. You have two choices. Seek permission, or list it on GCA instead (the 2nd option is only appropriate if in your opinion it is in a safe place that won't cause suspicion as people search).

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by mtbikeroz » 03 July 11 8:20 am

Big Matt and Shell wrote:The Canberra one doesn't look to be on airport property.

Thinking back it isn't, it is just a shopping area.
The Canberra one IS on airport land, controlled by "The Canberra Airport Authority". It used to be all fenced off as one big airport, runway etc, but now it is still airport authority land, but a shopping centre, fenced off separately from the airport stuff.

It is much to the annoyance of the ACT Govt, as they have absolutely no say on developments etc on this land as the airport land (airport authority land) is under Federal govt juridstiction. It's funny to watch various ACT Govt leaders, planners, ministers complain........

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 03 July 11 12:05 pm

If you do manage to manage to find active caches placed on major Airport property, feel free to place a Needs Archived log on them so Ministro can check to see if there's any communication about permission hidden away. (Although I usually either ask the owner to mention it specifically or add it to my Published note, there might be some where this didn't happen.)

Don't get confused between the geocaching.com guidelines and reviewer system and the Common Law basis for English law...

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 05 July 11 12:10 pm

Not sure I wanna dob them in but I'm just a bit miffed that they got away with it and I ....... can't [-( #-o

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 08 July 11 9:56 am

No, I just wanted to include SA in the group of DFO/Harbourtown caches.

Everywhere else has one at a DFO and adelaide doesn't.
Thought I'd include us. :( :?
(And the cache is brilliant too...... :evil: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) )

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 08 July 11 10:18 am

MtnLioness wrote:No, I just wanted to include SA in the group of DFO/Harbourtown caches.

Everywhere else has one at a DFO and adelaide doesn't.
Thought I'd include us. :( :?
(And the cache is brilliant too...... :evil: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) )
Isn't the simple solution just to ask for permission and supply it to your friendly reviewer? It couldn't hurt. (could it?)

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 08 July 11 2:21 pm

Yeah.... Not too sure how the scenario of me waltzing into the airport and asking to see the boss to gain permission to place a suspicious container on their land for a fun game will go down!

*sigh*
:|