The longest GCA power trail in Australia (idea)

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
caughtatwork

The longest GCA power trail in Australia (idea)

Post by caughtatwork » 30 June 11 10:35 pm

As a community, could we work together to create the longest GCA power trail in Australia?

Hundreds of people, hiding a cache or two each, connecting the dots throughout the country so make a trail of caches from here to there. Maybe all hidden along the same latitude or longitude?

Or what a about a major cache series along the lines of the locations as suggested by the song http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ve_Bee ... an_version (although most of these are East coast).

What else could we do as a community to list hundreds of GCA caches that we would be proud of to be the "longest" whatever in Australia?

I'm dangerous when I'm bored.

Black Bunny

Re: The longest GCA power trail in Australia (idea)

Post by Black Bunny » 30 June 11 10:53 pm

And here I was think the Burke & Wills trail may be that......

Perhaps we need an "Explorers Power Trail" series. Do I have any takers to start the Hume & Hovell trail?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 June 11 10:55 pm

Yes and no. A lot of the B&W are virtuals. I was hoping to get a couple of hundred physical caches in a series or trail.

I like the explorers idea. Although like a lot of Australians, I know nothing of any of their trips (like I knew little about B&W until I got involved in the activity).

Where did H&H go?

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 30 June 11 10:59 pm

I don't like the 'powertrail' idea as I like that GCA has higher quality caches listed and I think that a powertrail would kinda wreak this but...
A series of GCA caches hidden by many users and all of a common theme would be an interesting idea :D I'm thinking something like Team Astro's largest solar system/galaxy replica(?) caches (I know I've got that wrong...)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 June 11 11:06 pm

The slight difference between the standard PT and this one would be they are all hidden by different people, so maintenance wouldn't be the same issue and they're not likely to be 161m from each other =D>
There could be 200 caches covering 4,000km of trail. So as you say, a series more than a true PT.

Black Bunny

Post by Black Bunny » 30 June 11 11:08 pm

caughtatwork wrote: I like the explorers idea. Although like a lot of Australians, I know nothing of any of their trips (like I knew little about B&W until I got involved in the activity).

Where did H&H go?
Here is a quick overview

http://www.heritageaustralia.com.au/pdf ... Hovell.pdf

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 30 June 11 11:34 pm

:lol:

Love the idea. always willing to hide a few more GCA caches. Many explorers went through the Blue Mountains, so there are many possibilities from Penrith to Lithgow and beyond.

:twisted:

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 30 June 11 11:46 pm

How about a trail that follows Hwy 1?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_1_%28Australia%29

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 30 June 11 11:48 pm

Black Bunny wrote:
caughtatwork wrote: I like the explorers idea. Although like a lot of Australians, I know nothing of any of their trips (like I knew little about B&W until I got involved in the activity).

Where did H&H go?
Here is a quick overview

http://www.heritageaustralia.com.au/pdf ... Hovell.pdf
Hmmm.. 4 of my GC caches are on or very close to that return journey :lol: (GC2A611, GC28PB9, GC2705N and GC2706J) After this weekend, there will hopefully be one more !

But they're GC caches.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 30 June 11 11:48 pm

As long as it's not an endless line of mint tins ....

Highway 1 rest stops right around Australia with a minimum size of Regular (or small if you must) might be an idea.

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found

Post by Captain Terror » 01 July 11 1:09 am

roundcircle wrote:How about a trail that follows Hwy 1?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_1_%28Australia%29
Exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps even following the National Highways.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_H ... Australia)

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 01 July 11 7:16 am

I lke the idea that whenever one comes across a (whatever it is) there one will find a GA cache - or place one.
Rest areas on highway 1, as already suggested, is one good suggestion. Wherever one crosses a certain line of latitude is another.

Or some enterprising soul could superimpose a picture of the GA logo on a map of Australia, make note of the co-ords, and we could all go and try to put caches on the line.

I'm still thinking, but of course, any of these ideas should, if put into operation, have a themed pathtag to go with them. :-)

Wendy

(Nobody suggest putting a cache on every old gun in the country - that's what nightmares are made of!!)

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 01 July 11 9:31 am

Black Bunny wrote:And here I was think the Burke & Wills trail may be that......

Perhaps we need an "Explorers Power Trail" series. Do I have any takers to start the Hume & Hovell trail?
The issue with the explorers trail is that many points are just not accessable. I recently completed quite a few of the B&W caches in Western NSW and some you just can not get to.

I like the I've been everywhere man idea or the caches along a latitude.

Black Bunny

Post by Black Bunny » 01 July 11 10:01 am

Big Matt and Shell wrote:
The issue with the explorers trail is that many points are just not accessable. I recently completed quite a few of the B&W caches in Western NSW and some you just can not get to.

I like the I've been everywhere man idea or the caches along a latitude.
True modern day replication of the Explorers trails would be difficult, but it is interesting to note that many of the trails blazed do coincide with the current road systems.

A look at the Explorers GA locationless would be a good spot to start. Followed by this list of public monuments to Explorers.

I think a Rest Area or Stop, Revive, Cache Series would be interesting.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 01 July 11 10:31 am

Rather than sticking to the main highways, why not do a power trail which creates/follows a route taking in all those little towns and places that we all ignore on our 110+km/hr blasts from one capital city to another? Would take people off the beaten track, bring a little business to some small, struggling towns, and highlight the life that still exists there.

Perhaps a series of 'The Back Road' caches, linking up the capital cities by alternate routes that don't use highways. I'm sure the many nomads amongst us could easily create some routes which take in those towns....