Multiple Logs on Caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Multiple Logs on Caches

Post by Alansee » 19 June 11 4:19 pm

On a related topic I raised the issue of being able to log the same cache multiple times. That topic became a discussion on Challenge caches, so I have re-raised it here.

The instance quoted is a cache where, once you have found it, you can log it as a find, once for every State (in the US) for which you have found 1,000 caches. ie. If you have found 1,000 caches in each of, say, 5 states (not that hard!) then you can log the Challenge cache 5 times.

My immediate concern is being able to log multiple times for one find. (I exclude the grandfathered caches such as The Crackerjack, which need to be found in a new location each year.)

The almost inevitable evolution of this, is that it doesn't take too long for a series of caches to be set up, which feed off each other. For instance, a number of caches, which can be logged simply by logging other caches. In the extreme, you could have 100 caches, which could be logged again each time you logged 100 caches! You could sit there all day re-logging the same caches time and time again.

Surely it has to be 1 log per cache find?

Any comments?

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: Multiple Logs on Caches

Post by Laighside Legends » 19 June 11 5:47 pm

I completely agree with you - I have never found the same cache twice and that goes for locationless and movables as well.

I know of a few cachers that have racked up hundreds of finds by just finding a few locationless caches many times. I don't think that is right but each to there own I guess... :D

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 19 June 11 7:15 pm

I agree with regards locationless caches, but I think multiple finds on a moveable cache is fair enough. Each time you find it its somewhere new so its not revisiting a hide. I have also heard the argument "yes but you know what you are looking for" so what? how many 500ml sistemas are out in the world? or film canisters or bison tubes. So I think moveables are made for multiple finds, and can provide its own fun in the chase and hunt

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 19 June 11 7:37 pm

I fell multiples on movables is ok.

It's not like you are returning to the same spot (usually)

I have no problems with cache owners finding their movables either.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 19 June 11 10:19 pm

Apart from moveables I don't generally log caches multiple times, I have on some locationless ones. Occasionally it makes sense. But usually once found it's off the radar for me, even though the hider will allow multiple finds.

That's all off topic to the original post. The challenge caches set up could be rigged if they slip through the moderators to allow them to feed off each other. They don't seem quite the same as the ones we have on GCA that require you to find a certain number of different cache types in a day to claim, as these are claimable multiple times.

Personally I don't agree with them, but that's my feelings and we all cache in our own way.

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 20 June 11 1:21 pm

Alansee wrote:On a related topic I raised the issue of being able to log the same cache multiple times. That topic became a discussion on Challenge caches, so I have re-raised it here.

The instance quoted is a cache where, once you have found it, you can log it as a find, once for every State (in the US) for which you have found 1,000 caches. ie. If you have found 1,000 caches in each of, say, 5 states (not that hard!) then you can log the Challenge cache 5 times.

My immediate concern is being able to log multiple times for one find. (I exclude the grandfathered caches such as The Crackerjack, which need to be found in a new location each year.)

The almost inevitable evolution of this, is that it doesn't take too long for a series of caches to be set up, which feed off each other. For instance, a number of caches, which can be logged simply by logging other caches. In the extreme, you could have 100 caches, which could be logged again each time you logged 100 caches! You could sit there all day re-logging the same caches time and time again.

Surely it has to be 1 log per cache find?

Any comments?
I dont know which cache you are referring to, but you cite finding 1000 per US State - in which case I assume its a GC cache. So wouldnt it be in breach of the guidelines in relation to Additional Logging Requirements (ALRs)? Post an SBA on it!

Other than that, I basically agree with Richary et al

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 20 June 11 1:26 pm

Ah, Ive just seen the other thread and now see that apparently challenge caches are exempt from the ALR guideline. :roll:

But I still think its contrary to the spirit of the game

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 20 June 11 1:40 pm

Bewilderbeest wrote:But I still think its contrary to the spirit of the game
You are not the only one thinking this way.

For the multiple logs: If it can be logged more than once, place more than one caches. That would solve the problem.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 20 June 11 4:56 pm

Anyone who finds 1000 caches anywhere deserves an extra smiley in my book! :mrgreen:

Funny though when you consider you can spend many many hours solving a diabolical difficulty 5 mystery cache (speaking from experience on recently finding "one shy of enigmatic") and the smiley is worth the same (in purely numerical terms) as a lame drive-by Eclipse tin.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 20 June 11 6:48 pm

Yurt wrote: Funny though when you consider you can spend many many hours solving a diabolical difficulty 5 mystery cache (speaking from experience on recently finding "one shy of enigmatic") and the smiley is worth the same (in purely numerical terms) as a lame drive-by Eclipse tin.
All smileys are equal but some smileys are more equal than others.

(with apologies to George Orwell)

SamWalkers
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by SamWalkers » 20 June 11 7:56 pm

SamCarter wrote: All smileys are equal but some smileys are more equal than others.

(with apologies to George Orwell)
Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory logs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
ibid

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 21 June 11 12:52 am

Said it before, say it again... One Cache Listing, One Find, One Smiley... with the only exception being moveables. Locationless / Waymarks are a different kettle of fish which I only log once personally... and we wont get into that now.

All GS caches and most GCA with the aformentioned exceptions should lock out the "Found It" Log once a cacher has found it once. I like Creative Challenge Caches, but just like any cache type they can be abused.

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 23 June 11 1:13 am

What about event caches :?:
I came across a US cacher with a few thousand finds on event caches (at a rate of more than 1 day since caching started :shock: ) - at any event which placed caches in a field to find, they'd log an event attend for each temporary container they found that day - even though most wouldn't be able to be published due to the 160m rule.
Cheers 8)

Richary

Post by Richary » 23 June 11 8:52 pm

Well that one should be fixed by the event lister - unless they consider that fair game in the USA.