The Future of Caching?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Re: The Future of Caching?

Post by Alansee » 19 June 11 4:10 pm

There are three Challenge caches in Wollongong which require you to have found every cache within 5, 10, and 20 km of your home. A bit hard for those who live in big cities!

However, challenge caches was not at all the point of my original post, so I will open up another post to make my point better, rather than stop this useful discussion..

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 20 June 11 10:07 am

Alansee wrote:There are three Challenge caches in Wollongong which require you to have found every cache within 5, 10, and 20 km of your home. A bit hard for those who live in big cities
And there is a 30km radius cache hidden that I need to get around to putting in the review queue :evil:

I also have the final of my In Extremis series listed as a Challenge cache.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 21 June 11 1:03 am

Hoojar wrote:And there is a 30km radius cache hidden that I need to get around to putting in the review queue :evil:
:shock: From home in Sydney that would be 2,297 caches ... time to move to the outback :P

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 21 June 11 9:45 am

Zalgariath wrote:
Hoojar wrote:And there is a 30km radius cache hidden that I need to get around to putting in the review queue :evil:
:shock: From home in Sydney that would be 2,297 caches ... time to move to the outback :P
I've got 308 caches within 30km of home. All found (obviously).

I've got 452 active caches within 40km of home, if I find the next 19 I'll get out a 40km radius cache, but I can't see that one happening in the short term. A few years back I had my radius out to 50km, but that's an impossibility these days!

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 21 June 11 11:03 am

We covered 10km a long time ago but some nasty caches have crept back in - the Cipher series. The closest to home is Cipher Seven and we have to solve the first six to solve that one.

20km from home is another 350 caches which is probably doable.
30km from home... probably a number like Zalgariath's.

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 21 June 11 11:34 am

Hoojar wrote:
Alansee wrote:There are three Challenge caches in Wollongong which require you to have found every cache within 5, 10, and 20 km of your home. A bit hard for those who live in big cities
And there is a 30km radius cache hidden that I need to get around to putting in the review queue :evil:

I also have the final of my In Extremis series listed as a Challenge cache.
I know this is getting OT, but linking back to the What's your radius? topic, I cant even clear a 3km radius!

Having > 500 caches within a 10 km radius gives plenty of opportunities, but also tends to leave a core of problematic caches: Within 10km radius there are 510 caches (93 unfound: 18.24%).

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 21 June 11 1:46 pm

So have there been any instances of these challenge caches being found and logged without the challenge having been completed? What happens then?

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 21 June 11 3:03 pm

Trigg-A-Nomics wrote:So have there been any instances of these challenge caches being found and logged without the challenge having been completed? What happens then?
I have had two logs on my challenge caches in error. Once the finder realised the error, and changed their log to a note, then changed back once the challenge was completed. Another time I pointed out the error to the finder and they were very embarrassed for overlooking it and retracted their find log. I have also had several notes posted against the caches when people find the cache and then realise that they have not finished the challenge and therefore cannot claim the find. All in all it has been very smooth sailing and does not appear to have ruffled any feathers nor caused any dramas.

Before I placed them I spoke to Riblit about my plans. He then consulted some other GC Reviewers as he had never reviewed a challenge cache before.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 21 June 11 5:14 pm

I still don't quite get this...
Why not just create a locationless cache with the challenge as the logging requirement?
These 10km, 20km, ect.. from home caches are in Wollongong, right? Why can't I complete them from South Australia? If I found every cache within 10km of home I am then eligible to log that cache after I have made the 3 day trip to sign the physical logbook? Is there something special at the GZ for these caches? If not then why should I make the 3 day trip there then?

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 21 June 11 5:19 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:I still don't quite get this...
Why not just create a locationless cache with the challenge as the logging requirement?
These 10km, 20km, ect.. from home caches are in Wollongong, right? Why can't I complete them from South Australia? If I found every cache within 10km of home I am then eligible to log that cache after I have made the 3 day trip to sign the physical logbook? Is there something special at the GZ for these caches? If not then why should I make the 3 day trip there then?
I guess because GC.com doesn't allow locationless caches.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 21 June 11 5:24 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:I still don't quite get this...
Simple answer, I neither hide nor find GCA caches.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 21 June 11 5:45 pm

Does that mean that someone should set a 10km (and/or 20km) from home challenge cache in Adelaide, someone else should do it in Melbourne and so on, so everyone can complete the challenge no matter where they live? If so then what about the caches who regularly travel around Australia (eg. everlasting, maccamob, ect..), they would soon get many finds for one "challenge".
It doesn't seam right to me... :-k

What it comes down to (I think) is are you creating the cache for the challenge or because GZ is a nice/interesting place to visit? If is for the challenge then there isn't a lot of point in having a box at GZ. If it is because of the GZ location then it should be a traditional or a puzzle/multi cache.

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 21 June 11 5:54 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:..., so everyone can complete the challenge no matter where they live?
Yes but you still have to log the physical box in Adelaide even if you "clean" your homezone in Melbourne.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 21 June 11 6:01 pm

What I meant was that someone should set one up in Melbourne so there are many of these all over the country

Philipp
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 22 June 11 1:10 am

Well if someone does that I'll set-up one of those in his front-yard:

Get at least 16 souvenirs in your profile
Find caches on 5 or more of the 7 continents
Cache in 8 or more countries on one continent
Have a found in at least 15 different countries
Find 12 different cache-types