'Finding' Archived Caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Rubik
Posts: 310
Joined: 24 October 05 2:47 pm
Location: Shepparton

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by Team Rubik » 07 June 11 8:39 am

Philipp wrote:so now we got the UMP on: What would happen if we replace the cache and it still complies with all guidelines? Could it emerge out of the archive?
I researched this question a few years ago. The original APE caches were specially designed containerss, I was informed that if an original container is reinstated (and it still complied with all the guidelines) then the cache would be unarchived. The only remaining original container not already serving as a cache is at Groundspeak HQ.

User avatar
Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found
Posts: 961
Joined: 19 May 04 12:08 am
Location: Adelaide, Newton

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by Zytheran » 07 June 11 6:54 pm

As there's a new Planet of the Apes movie out in a few months is there anything to stop Groundspeak reinstating them with clones of the original container?
Considering that most of us with lots of caches already do this activity each weekend, just to keep the hobby ticking along...
So are so many people new to geocaching now it would be nice if they got to learn a bit about some of things that happened in the early days? (Even if it was for all the wrong reasons.)
Didn't they do this with the original first cache?

User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16299
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by caughtatwork » 07 June 11 7:22 pm

$

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Posts: 591
Joined: 24 January 10 3:08 pm
Twitter: derfuzzel
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Contact:

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by Philipp » 07 June 11 10:53 pm

Team Rubik wrote:The original APE caches were specially designed containerss, I was informed that if an original container is reinstated (and it still complied with all the guidelines) then the cache would be unarchived. The only remaining original container not already serving as a cache is at Groundspeak HQ.
Doesn't look that much special (that's the Melbourne one):

Image

Team Rubik
Posts: 310
Joined: 24 October 05 2:47 pm
Location: Shepparton

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by Team Rubik » 09 June 11 8:48 am

Sorry, I wrote hurriedly on my way to work, I meant to say the containers had a special design on them. A spray painted APE logo or some such thing. All the research came off the gc.com forums and talking to a couple of finders, feel free to trawl through it all again in case I missed something.

budgietas
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found
Posts: 550
Joined: 25 January 10 9:35 pm
Location: Lenah Valley

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by budgietas » 13 June 11 6:19 pm

Hi

I found a cache recently that had been archived for about six months. The cache was archived as it needed a new log book as the cache was wet and the log book was mouldy. No response to the needs maintenance log led to it being archived by GC.com.

I was in the area and it was showing on my list of solved puzzles, and thought - gee it's probably still there as geo rubbish. So I went to the GZ and there it was sitting out in the open. Since the owner had not been maintaining and by the looks was going to leave it there I collected and brought it home. I logged the caches as a find, but the owner deleted my log today. I did clean the cache and offer to return it to the owner in the log.

What should I do?

budgietas
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found
Posts: 550
Joined: 25 January 10 9:35 pm
Location: Lenah Valley

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by budgietas » 13 June 11 6:22 pm

My Log

http://coord.info/GL5TA6J4

Cache is GC1BBH2

User avatar
Ministro
Posts: 60
Joined: 25 July 11 9:43 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by Ministro » 13 June 11 6:49 pm

Funnily enough I was only reading this the other day while swimming through the guidelines.

http://support.groundspeak.com/index.ph ... age&id=204
If you are a geocacher and you believe that your log was deleted in error, you will have politely emailed the cache owner requesting that the log be reinstated. If you require further assistance, please email contact@geocaching.com.

budgietas
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found
Posts: 550
Joined: 25 January 10 9:35 pm
Location: Lenah Valley

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by budgietas » 13 June 11 6:57 pm

I have emailed the cache owner, basically asking why it was deleted

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Posts: 591
Joined: 24 January 10 3:08 pm
Twitter: derfuzzel
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Contact:

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by Philipp » 13 June 11 7:04 pm

Team Rubik wrote:Sorry, I wrote hurriedly on my way to work, I meant to say the containers had a special design on them. A spray painted APE logo or some such thing. All the research came off the gc.com forums and talking to a couple of finders, feel free to trawl through it all again in case I missed something.
So here is the answer from Groundspeak:
The Ape caches were the container. Once the original container is gone the cache is archived. Since there is no way to get another original ape container the cache can not me resurrected. You can however, place a regular cache at the location to celebrate the old ape cache. It would be listed as a normal cache and not an Ape cache.
I think Groundspeak just doesn't want to resurrect the APE caches. One reason might be that there could be some irrational reactions of some cachers and they just want to avoid that.

User avatar
Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 487
Joined: 26 May 08 6:04 pm
Location: The Gong

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by Hoojar » 14 June 11 9:50 am

budgietas wrote:Hi

I found a cache recently that had been archived for about six months.
I understand that your situation was different as the cache in question was archived by a reviewer, not an owner, but I thought I would provide this perspective...

I am never a fan of people resurrecting archived caches. I mean, just how desperate are you for another smiley?

My partner, Chip, archived one of her caches in Byron Bay (and collected the container). We live in Wollongong and the person that she had nominated to maintain the cache was no longer able to. Months and months later (maybe a year) someone went to the location, hid a container, claimed a find, and requested that she re-enact the listing. She deleted the log, and with good reason I believe. In my opinion you cannot be replacing containers when people have archived a cache! To add insult to injury, the person who claimed the find has now left litter (a new cache) in the location.

User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16299
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by caughtatwork » 14 June 11 10:25 am

Mission 9 Project Ape cache missing
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 7427de4bdd
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... b348d8b914
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=276016

This is maintained by Moun10Bike who is a Groundspeak lackey. It will be interesting to see if the cache goes on to be archived (I expect so) or whether, as it's part of the "triad" whether it gets replaced.

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Posts: 591
Joined: 24 January 10 3:08 pm
Twitter: derfuzzel
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Contact:

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by Philipp » 14 June 11 2:10 pm

It got archived - anything else would have been a contradiction ... bummer

budgietas
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found
Posts: 550
Joined: 25 January 10 9:35 pm
Location: Lenah Valley

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by budgietas » 14 June 11 2:36 pm

Hoojar wrote: I understand that your situation was different as the cache in question was archived by a reviewer, not an owner, but I thought I would provide this perspective...

I am never a fan of people resurrecting archived caches. I mean, just how desperate are you for another smiley?

My partner, Chip, archived one of her caches in Byron Bay (and collected the container). We live in Wollongong and the person that she had nominated to maintain the cache was no longer able to. Months and months later (maybe a year) someone went to the location, hid a container, claimed a find, and requested that she re-enact the listing. She deleted the log, and with good reason I believe. In my opinion you cannot be replacing containers when people have archived a cache! To add insult to injury, the person who claimed the find has now left litter (a new cache) in the location.
Totally understand that situation, but this situation is different. The Cache was only archived because the CO did not replace a wet log book. The cache was always in place, and by leaving it after it was archived made it effectively geo litter. I was and still willing to hand back the cache container, as I brought it out from the GZ.

I thought I was doing a service to the community removing an archived cache.

User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16299
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: 'Finding' Archived Caches

Post by caughtatwork » 14 June 11 2:52 pm

Philipp wrote:It got archived - anything else would have been a contradiction ... bummer
That log got entered just recently.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... 980d82f544

Correct decision, although the fact that it was discussed is a little disconcerting.

Post Reply