Small versus Regular

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Small versus Regular

Post by Aushiker » 15 October 04 10:25 am

Hi

I notice gc.com has now introduced a "small" cache size which sits between micro and regular. GC.com describe it as "holds logbook and small items."

As the regular size refers to a container I am not familiar with, "Rubbermaid," I am interested in what froum members would consider a small container is versus a regular container, e.g. is a container say between 500 mils and 1 litre a small container? Would a 1.5 litre container be regular? Does it need to be bigger to be a regular cache?

Guidance?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 15 October 04 10:43 am

I think we all know what a micro is. But, it would be nice if they defined the size better on the gc site and said the capacity like above 500mls to 1.5ltrs or their imperial equiv.

Isnt rubbermaid like tupperware?

Having said that above, sand on track would need it's own category, something like.... 20 foot shipping container.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 15 October 04 11:09 am

Webguy wrote:Isnt rubbermaid like tupperware?
<p>
Seems to be, but that isn't very helpful on gc.com's part as Rubbermaid make a range of sizes, like other plastic container manufacturers. Still comes back to some sort of size range as you suggest.
<p>
Andrew
<p>

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 15 October 04 11:15 am

I'm all for stipulating the size of the container in the description. Nothing worse than getting there and it's too small for anything you have.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 15 October 04 11:18 am

I'm treating anything that will hold a logbook of some sort but won't hold any swaps of, say, golf ball size as a micro.
So, I'd class a 35mm film canister or a Berocca tube as one of these.

A 400ml container is about where I'd start considering it a Small, since you can fit typical smallish swaps or most travel bugs in it.

Regular, for me, starts at about 1l and large is one of the bigger ammo cans and above.

I was pleased to see this new category, as there's a lot of 400ml containers around Christchurch caches (fits into the base of a cabbage tree or flax bush well) and I'm looking forward to being able to sort them out without relying on the cache-placer to list the size in the description.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 15 October 04 11:22 am

Webguy wrote:I'm all for stipulating the size of the container in the description. Nothing worse than getting there and it's too small for anything you have.
<P>
Agree Webguy. That is the approach that I am now taking.
<p>
Andrew

dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dcr » 15 October 04 11:33 am

I have a 20 litre Rubbermaid brand toolbox, so if we were to take this as the basis of a regular ... ;) I think 0.5 litres to 0.1 litres capacity, so that it can contain swaps, is a good range for "small".

cheers Darren :)

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 15 October 04 11:41 am

Shape also plays a big part, cylinders, flat rectangles etc.

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 15 October 04 12:17 pm

G'day,
<p>
I'm glad they've included the new category, because it now accounts for the smaller containers that are larger then film canisters. Previously, I've found 200mL Sistema containers described as micro (they're bigger than that) or regular (I end up looking for something much larger).
<p>
Here's my take on it, using clip-top Sistema containers for size reference:
<p>
Micro - film canisters, Berocca tubes, and anything that will fit in Mix76's mouth :shock: <br>
Small - 200mL Sistema container (some may call this micro too); 400mL Sistema container<br>
Regular - 1L, 1.2L, or 2L Sistema container<br>
Large - 5L or 7L Sistema container, or anything larger<br>
<p>
I suppose if you don't know what a Sistema container is, the above list won't mean much to you, so here are the dimensions in mm:
<p>
200mL: 120 x 90 x 40<br>
400mL: 120 x 90 x 80<br>
1L: 170 x 110 x 80<br>
1.2L: 150 x 150 x 80<br>
2L: 230 x 180 x 80<br>
5L: 260 x 240 x 120<br>
7L: 350 x 230 x 130
<p>
SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC MODE: ON
<p>
Here is a picture of the 200mL container.
<p>
<p>
I like these containers because they are relatively inexpensive, come in a good range of sizes, and have a rubber gasket in the lid that makes them very water resistant. I've come across only one that had a small amount of water in it. They are available at K Mart, Big W, and Bunnings (that I know of). Prices vary, so if you're buying a lot of them, check it out first.
<p>
They are made in New Zealand, so you'll be supporting our Kiwi cousins. This in itself makes it worthwhile using them. 8)
<p>
By the way, I don't have any vested interest in Sistema.
<p>
SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC MODE: OFF
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak
Last edited by dak's Emu Mob on 15 October 04 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 15 October 04 12:26 pm

Haven't you guys heard.....

Size doesn't matter :)

Official from Cleo Magazine.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 15 October 04 1:54 pm

I've always read "Rubbermaid Container" as "Lunchbox"

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 15 October 04 2:32 pm

All Cached Up wrote:I've always read "Rubbermaid Container" as "Lunchbox"
I've always read it as "the packing the blow-up doll with the little frilly apron came in" :oops:

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Re: Small versus Regular

Post by EcoTeam » 16 October 04 4:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

I notice gc.com has now introduced a "small" cache size which sits between micro and regular. GC.com describe it as "holds logbook and small items."

As the regular size refers to a container I am not familiar with, "Rubbermaid," I am interested in what froum members would consider a small container is versus a regular container, e.g. is a container say between 500 mils and 1 litre a small container? Would a 1.5 litre container be regular? Does it need to be bigger to be a regular cache?

Guidance?

Thanks in advance
Andrew
Rubbermaid make eveyrthing from small tupperware/sistema type plastic containers to large industrial quality mobile storage units and trolleys. So that name on it's own means nothing. BTW, Rubbermaid stuff is nice!

This new category has always been long overdue, ever since day one.

I'd say that small is 1L or under. 1L and above is a decent size and can fit many items, so it's definitely a "Regular". "Large" I'd put at >5L.
Micro is of course micro, a film canister or Berroca tablet tube.
I'd say that it's basically not possible to get a regular sealed plastic lid rectangular container that is a micro, so these now become "Small" type.

EcoDave :)

juzmac

Post by juzmac » 16 October 04 11:44 pm

dak's Emu Mob wrote: I like these containers because they are relatively inexpensive, come in a good range of sizes, and have a rubber gasket in the lid that makes them very water resistant. I've come across only one that had a small amount of water in it. They are available at K Mart, Big W, and Bunnings (that I know of). Prices vary, so if you're buying a lot of them, check it out first.
<p>
I've also found Sistema's to be very good but the best prices we've found have either been at Safeway or The Warehouse (which also happens to be a good place to pick up well priced swaps as well!!!) :wink:

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 17 October 04 5:43 am

juzmac wrote:
dak's Emu Mob wrote: I like these containers because they are relatively inexpensive, come in a good range of sizes, and have a rubber gasket in the lid that makes them very water resistant. I've come across only one that had a small amount of water in it. They are available at K Mart, Big W, and Bunnings (that I know of). Prices vary, so if you're buying a lot of them, check it out first.
<p>
I've also found Sistema's to be very good but the best prices we've found have either been at Safeway or The Warehouse (which also happens to be a good place to pick up well priced swaps as well!!!) :wink:
While gratified at the prospect of a geocaching-container-led boost to our trans-Tasman trade position, I must say that I'm annoyed that the availability of the "Lock 'n Lock" containers (the ones with the locking bar on all four sides) seems to've dried up here.
They used to be available from The Warehouse (major local Kmart/Target equivalent) and Plastic Box shops, but no longer.

The Sistema's a good, but they're just not as waterproof. I've entrusted my precious Palm, phone and wallet to a Lock 'n Lock, while using it as a flotation device, whereas a Sistema would leak in the same circumstances.

I may need to take a larger suitcase with me when I'm in Adelaide in December...