You say Tomato, I say ..... pronunciation of the word cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bronze

Post by Bronze » 15 October 04 4:44 pm

I'm a 'cay.sher'!
I go geo.cay.shing with other geo.cay.shers.
We find the odd cay.sh here and there and some times we find none.
I prefer multi-cay.shers where some cay.shers prefer traditionals.
I rely on the perversions of the Australian language to get away with calling it cay.shing instead of cash.ing.

Bronze.
Red Ochre Cay.shing.

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 15 October 04 5:13 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:It's "Cash"

see http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=CACHE

the pronunciation key is quite explicit.
<p>
Well, of course, when I saw this I thought "American Dictionary; not the definitive answer. You can't trust pronunciation of English words to non-English speakers!"
<p>
I'm a dictionary/word nut (see GCJNK3). I even have the full Oxford English Dictionary on CD-ROM (23 volumes in hard copy).
<p>
So, I reached for the Australian Oxford Dictionary (no self-respecting pedant would use the Macquarie Dictionary as a definitive reference, although I do have the current version on my book shelf). :roll:
<p>
To my horror (and surprise) I found that ian-and-penny are correct! :shock:
<p>
However, prior to this thread I didn't know anybody who pronounced it that way. I know that Team Landcruiser suggests "cash" on their web page, but I suspect that they snarfed that text from GC.com.
<p>
Even the OED says it's "cash", but that won't stop me from pronouncing it as caysh. I can't justify the decision; call it just a small step in the constant battle to differentiate myself from the Yanks.
<p>
Prejudices aside, I wonder how the pronunciation "caysh" came into being here. I've been pronouncing the word that way before geocaching was even heard of. I remember reading an Agatha Christie novel once where the identity of the murderer hinged on the pronunciation of the word "cache", in other words, on the fact that the Yanks pronounced it differently from the English-speaking world.
<p>
Thanks to ian-and-penny for educating me, but I remain intransigent on the subject. :)
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

Rabbitto

Post by Rabbitto » 15 October 04 5:43 pm

Hounddog wrote:
For instance Mache is pronounced Mashay. So maybe Cache should be pronounced Cashay.
<p>

...or better still pronounce the last part of cache as per the pronounciation of the word "ache". That way everybody would be right because....<p>

<br>
<br>

....wait for it......<p>
<br>
<br>

....we could all have our "cache" and eat it too :lol: :lol: :lol: .

dak's Emu Mob

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 15 October 04 6:18 pm

Rabbitto wrote:{Contents deleted in the interests of humanity.}
<p>
Boom, boom!
<p>
Or is that GROOOOOOAAAAAAAAN!
<p>
:lol: :lol:
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

Effrem

Post by Effrem » 15 October 04 6:38 pm

Maybe we are not money hungry like the seppo's? :lol:

I have been corrected twice (in saying caysh) and both times, I replied "I am not a yank" :roll:

Damnable seppos and thier american language

:evil: :evil: :evil: :wink:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 15 October 04 6:58 pm

I have always refered to a storage of something as a "caysh"... always have, always will...

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 15 October 04 7:29 pm

The results are interesting. I've always found that whenever a cacher from the North Island has dropped in to say g'day when on holidays, I've found myself being very self-conscious and forcing myself to say "Geocashing", no matter how uncomfortable it might sound to me. By the looks of it I need not be so insecure afterall :)
Last edited by Horus on 15 October 04 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dak's Emu Mob

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 15 October 04 7:46 pm

Horus wrote:. . . forcing myself to say "Geocashing" . . .
<p>
The mainlanders probably went away thinking: "Gee! Tasmanians don't have two heads, but they speak strangely."
<p>
:D
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 October 04 10:28 pm

Pesky! wrote:
FTMNCH
Now you have three minutes!

muzza
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by muzza » 16 October 04 11:24 pm

I voted for caysh. Outside of Geocaching, I would pronounce it cash, but being from a computing background, talking about "cash" in a computer is rather confusing. I therefore refer to it as caysh, and hence my decision to call it geocayshing - its just less confusing when explaining it to muggles.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 17 October 04 8:12 am

While I'm in the minority, due of my British origins I cannot help but pronounce it cash. I had never heard it pronounced any other way before I joined the Australian geocayshing community...
It is a cash of arms or a 256Mb cash in a computer, but I quickly learnt that a little plastic box is apparently called a caysh.

As I have just become an Australian citizen, I am desperately trying to pronounce it caysh some of the time... but it's very, very hard to change the habit of a lifetime...

It's definitely not a seppo thing or a pommy thing... I think that the Australians are quite unique in their pronunciation...
Actually, for the word nuts... Cache is actually from french origin and the ending is pronounced the same way as the word for Cow=Vache - i.e. Cash...
an Etymological Dictionary wrote: cache
1797, from Fr. Canadian trappers' slang, "hiding place for stores" (c.1669), from Fr. cacher "conceal," from V.L. *coacticare "store up, collect, compress," from L. coactare "constrain," from coactus pp. of cogere "to collect."
stash (v.)
1797, of unknown origin, perhaps a blend of stow and cache. The noun meaning "hoard, cache" is 1914, from the verb. Slang sense of "personal supply of narcotics" is from 1960s.
Just as a matter of interest - how do they pronounce it in New Zealand??? Bear_Left???

daz1950

Post by daz1950 » 17 October 04 9:02 am

It's cash -
The Macquarie Concise Dictionary. <br>
Caysh sound very American to me.<br>
Cheers, Darrell

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 17 October 04 2:25 pm

leek wrote:Just as a matter of interest - how do they pronounce it in New Zealand??? Bear_Left???
No, "Bear_Left" has a very different sound to "cache"... two syllables, for a start... :P

But seriously:
I've not any of the locals pronounce it other than "cayche", but I haven't spoken to many North Islanders in person to tell if there's a regional variation.
(BTW, people from Auckland are called "Jafas" here. It means "Just Another Aucklander" with the same silent 'F' as in "RTFM" for "Read The Manual". Just so you know.)

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 17 October 04 3:04 pm

Isn't the english language a funny thing?
No wonder it's one of the hardest languages to lurn ... I mean learn :?

For the record, we're cayshers here at Team Stargazer ... because we can :P