Is this kosha?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Is this kosha?

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 27 May 11 9:59 pm

So, silly girl she is, 7/8ths that way round our just completed caching trip to the NT, our geodaughter, who has been on many caching adventures with us, starts logging finds under her own name. Now, if only she had done that at the start of our trip, she would have had 327 finds to her name. Anyhow, she has her eye on the Qld record for fastest first 100 finds. Currently stands at 14 days. In the last 3 days, she has 30 finds to her name. Of course, this was whilst travelling with us. Tomorrow, we head back to Gladstone to fix up a few things before I start work again next week. In the couple of days down there, she could make a killing on caches of mine, probably taking 2 days to find the remaining 70 finds. If not mine, then others that we have found in the past together, but logged only under my name.

Is this cheating? Is it kosha? Will she be forever shunned in the caching community as someone who took the easy route to grab a record that would be fairly difficult to break, certainly difficult to break by a complete newbie?

Cheers
Bundy

pjamesk
300 or more found
300 or more found

Re: Is this kosha?

Post by pjamesk » 27 May 11 10:21 pm

well if she has found them then she can log them simple. if she was with you in the past when you found them thatts the date she should log them.

But... if she is finding yours that she saw you place I don't think she could claim the record.

but then again... everyone plays the game differently :?

WazzaAndWenches

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 27 May 11 11:28 pm

I have a similar problem in that our 14yo daughter has logged quite a number of finds under her own name but has been with me when she (meaning me) has found them. She's keen on searching, but only for the first couple of minutes then the fun factor diminishes.
She also has many, many (>250) that she has "found" but not logged online (although they are logged in the cache log books). If she gets out of the car and has even a token look I'm happy to count it as a find. If she sits in the car and yells "write me in to, dad" I wont do it. She's go to put in some effort even if it is very small.

A number of times she has wanted to log some of the caches I have hidden even though she was with me when they were hidden. I won't allow her to do that as I don't consider it a legitimate find.

Am I wrong or too harsh?

As for your question Bundy, I don't think there is a problem with her attempting the 70 finds if she is going to go out and do the work to find all 70. She may know where they were "back then" but they may have suffered a bit of creep and that'll make her work a bit harder. I assume she's old enough to go out on her own across town to find caches. If she is then she can't have a go at the record.

Just my 2 cents (plus a bit extra) worth.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 28 May 11 10:00 am

Yeah, she is 20, so old enough to look after herself. The finds so far have been legitiment. She got out of the car, and it became a bit of a race to find the caches first. Sometimes she won, sometimes I won. In any event, it was as if 2 friends were out caching together, both searching, and both signing once found. For the last couple yesterday, which are actually ones I own, and were not in her GPS, I simply sat in the car, and acted like a GPS, counting down the metres, just like a Garmin 60. She did the searching on her own. And thats the way it would be in Gladstone. She is old enough to look after herself.

Cheers
Bundy

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 28 May 11 10:05 am

WazzaAndWenches wrote:A number of times she has wanted to log some of the caches I have hidden even though she was with me when they were hidden. I won't allow her to do that as I don't consider it a legitimate find.

Am I wrong or too harsh?
I think that's a bit harsh. :| Getting FTF wouldn't be fair. [-X
Bundyrumandcoke wrote:So, silly girl she is, 7/8ths that way round our just completed caching trip to the NT, our geodaughter, who has been on many caching adventures with us, starts logging finds under her own name. Now, if only she had done that at the start of our trip, she would have had 327 finds to her name.
Cheers
Bundy
Lots of other GeoJuniors have started their own accounts and then retrospectively logged the caches they found as part of the family team. :P

There are other GeoJuniors around who's parents are logging caches for them from well before they would be able to do it themselves. (Less than 1yo.) 8)
Bundyrumandcoke wrote: Will she be forever shunned in the caching community as someone who took the easy route to grab a record that would be fairly difficult to break, certainly difficult to break by a complete newbie?

Cheers
Bundy
You could hardly say she's a complete newbie. :shock:
Last edited by roundcircle on 28 May 11 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 28 May 11 10:18 am

Well, I wont let her retrospectively log any caches that we, as a family, have found, because she, as an individual, using her own cache name, hasnt signed the log.

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 28 May 11 4:04 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Well, I wont let her retrospectively log any caches that we, as a family, have found, because she, as an individual, using her own cache name, hasnt signed the log.
Sounds fair enough to me

mtbikeroz

Post by mtbikeroz » 28 May 11 4:43 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Well, I wont let her retrospectively log any caches that we, as a family, have found, because she, as an individual, using her own cache name, hasnt signed the log.

But she was there was she not? :?: :!:

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 28 May 11 11:52 pm

Well, thats one hard part of the deal, which ones was she at, and which ones wasnt she at. She hasnt done all the finds logged under the Bundyrumandcoke name.

Today, on the way from Blackwater to Gladstone, she did some of mine, and some others owned by other cachers along the way. I stayed in the car, she got out and sought the caches out with GPS in hand. Tonight she did a few around Gladstone on her own.

I think. all things being equal, I will let her run with it, finding what she can around town, and log any caches whoever the owner, under her own name.

Cheers
Bundy

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 29 May 11 12:07 am

If she found them, signed the log in the cache whether with you or on her own, it's a find! :D

mtbikeroz

Post by mtbikeroz » 29 May 11 8:21 am

I have had a few of my caches (predominately my interstate ones) where this very thing has happened. A log comes through, sometimes 3 or more years old, where a partner/son/daughter/even a friend logs a find, and they have always placed in their log something like logging under my own name now, found with so and so on "date", liked it so much decided to give it a go with my own name...etc etc.

GREAT.

NO problems for me at all.

She's 20 eh? Don't discourage her, give her a bit of leeway/slack - after all, whats a few finds between FRIENDS?

On this very issue - a very well known caching family here in Canberra (not the choo choo one, but one from the Nth side) had a partner decide she would do things under her own name, and a lot of caches here in Canberra suddenly got a lot of backdated logs. No complaints from anyone here in Canberra - a lovely (crazy) couple!

(PS - she may have only logged as finds ones she actually visited, I don't really know, (don't care either) but the point I'm saying is - Go for it - no problems from me)
(Unlike those bogus trollers who log 100+ finds in a day in several capital cities on the same day - LOL)

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 30 May 11 9:08 am

I am speaking from the other side of the coin as one who had started my own name some time after initially starting caching with my Dad for quite a few years.
I have gone back and claimed many caches that I can prove I was there for as most of them we have photo proof or I can recall the story of our find for that day so I haven't yet had any logs deleted either. I may have found about 100+ from all my interstate trips with Dad but I can prove I was there most of the time, even signing Dads name or finding a FTF for him myself!!

I say let her log ones she can prove she was there for.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 30 May 11 9:18 am

Well, we went out around Gladstone yesterday. I had a nice book te read which I did while she was out and about looking. She got at least 2 DNFs, one on a cache of mine, and one of someone elses. I think I gave her a hint on about 3 finds.

Cheers
Bundy

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 30 May 11 7:23 pm

If she can hold her own in a discussion about the caches, no hints of help from nearby onlookers, I say they are fair game for her to log. Backdating with a note - as mtbikeroz mentions - people are pretty cool with it.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 30 May 11 8:08 pm

20 eh? I reckon you might have trouble stopping her do what she wants round about now! As long as it feels fair to her, then if she does manage the record, she'll feel great about it. That's what counts really :D Good luck!!