"Computer support" phone scam

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Re: "Computer support" phone scam

Post by Bewilderbeest » 19 April 11 2:22 pm

Alansee wrote:You might try getting a return phone number from them and reporting them although I am not sure who to and if it would make any diff.
I get these calls every couple of weeks - even though Im on the do not call register ](*,) . I assume this is because they are off-shore (that certainly sound like it), which means you arent likely to have much luck finding anyone who has the authority to do anything about them.

I'm not a fan of stringing them along - I think thats a bigger waste of my time than it is of theirs. [-(

Lucy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Lucy » 20 April 11 11:16 am

I get a few of these each month, I generally tell them that I need to move to another phone and put them on hold, and leave them there!

muzza
2500 or more caches found

Post by muzza » 20 April 11 9:16 pm

I just received another call, this time telling me that my computer on the internet gets unwanted files and folders on my hard drive that will corrupt my Operating System. The guy is currently on permanent hold. I wonder how long he will wait!

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 27 April 11 8:06 pm

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 27 April 11 9:33 pm

Pesky! wrote:It would be great to set up a "PC" that we could all refer them too when they call.
make sure the pc has all the Hacking and cracking Phisihng and freaking tools we can get toghether to push viruses and the like into thier network when they connect.
then steal thier identities and use thier credit cards to buy 1000s of pizza and send them to random people.
I've received a few of these calls, and have a ball leading them along with no itnention of even starting up my PC.
I have thought of this... at least the tracing aspect... and back in the day when they were using actual phone lines I could have perhaps set it up. Unfortunately my 'skills' in this area dried up many years ago and now with the calls no doubt being made from virtual lines over VOIP I wouldnt have the know how. I still have some friends who kept up with the phreaking scene... could be fun to see what they could rig ;)

Kerry

Post by Kerry » 28 April 11 8:47 am

Got to laugh at their names, an overseas accent so far left of centre with a name like Adam or Alex showing the call as "overseas" and saying they are calling you from Sydney. BS'ing little pricks

ma77hew

Post by ma77hew » 30 April 11 4:27 pm

I've annoyed a few telemarketers with this technique: http://youtu.be/33BCEPMGggU

I managed to string one along for nearly 7 minutes. On another occasion, I had a supervisor ring back and call me a f...ing a...hole.

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by GammaPiSigma » 01 May 11 10:42 am

After waiting patiently for several months for my call from these scammers it finally came. Only problem was I had to visit the loo in a hurry and never got the chance to see how long I could string them out for. :(

As someone who has used and worked with Windows and Linux based computer systems since 1984 I was really looking forward to see how long I could string them out before they got the sh*ts with me and hung up. Hopefully they will call back someday and help me with my Linux home computer and all the problems I am having with it. :^o

And don't even think about scambaiting these people. They know who you are and have your phone number. The essential ingredient for a good scambait is that the scammers never know your real name and have no way of tracking back to you. :-k