Big Matt is an idiot - Your help required

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
winterdragon
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Re: Big Matt is an idiot - Your help required

Post by winterdragon » 20 April 11 2:59 pm

Calypso62 wrote:2. Immerse phone in a bucket of fresh water for a couple of hours
I'd just suggest using de-ionised water in preference to tap water, to minimise the introduction of any more impurities into the device (as they'll be left behind when the water evaporates).

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 21 April 11 3:51 am

winterdragon wrote:I'd just suggest using de-ionised water in preference to tap water
Oh, but that's expensive, isn't it? You know the saying: "Distilled waters run steep." :-"

Calypso62

Post by Calypso62 » 22 April 11 5:06 pm

The idea to dip the device into fresh water was to try to negate the effects of the salt water as soon as possible. As my camera was basically cactus anyway whatever I did was going to be a bonus. As I had a bucket and a tap nearby, that's what I used. As I said, the camera lasted another two years before it packed it in. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

But like life.... there's no guarantees!!!

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 22 April 11 7:49 pm

Philipp wrote:I know this advise is too late for you but maybe not for the next one dropping a phone into a puddle: You can link most phones with a google mail account - incl. contacts - It saved me once from losing all of them.

Cheers - hope the recovery works out
I just discovered that I can export my contacts from HTC Desire to the SD Card, from whence I can copy it to my computer.
It's in VCF format. Probably a good idea to do this occasionally. I haven't figured out the gmail approach yet.
Since I retired, I've been using Google Calendar which is quite adequate, and this links automagically with the Desire calendar so I do have a google account.

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 22 April 11 8:54 pm

gmj3191 wrote: I haven't figured out the gmail approach yet.
Should work with your Android phone. Editing the contacts on the computer is also way more convenient.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 25 April 11 10:58 am

Philipp wrote:
gmj3191 wrote: I haven't figured out the gmail approach yet.
Should work with your Android phone. Editing the contacts on the computer is also way more convenient.
Yes it was easy. I'm loving my Android phone. I got it on eBay very cheaply from someone who got it when they were given a work phone, but wanted to keep using the phone they already had.

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by TeamAstro » 10 May 11 11:13 pm

Umm, Matt, did you get my text message when I was in Newy? You never answered. :roll: :roll:
BTW Huff Duff - top cache.
Have you tried the phone under warm clear skies? :-k

red tag
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by red tag » 12 May 11 8:12 pm

HAHA :D ... Its been ages since I've visited the forum and when I saw 'Big Matt is an idiot' well of course I couldn't wait to check out why. 8)
bummer.... I thought a good laugh was to follow but Ive done much the same thing. :roll: ....only my brand new iphone4 went into the toilet and my attempt to grab it just pushed it down further :cry: .... luckily 24 hrs in a sealed bag of rice saved it .... apparently the fresh water (not salt water) makes it a possibility (if you could call toilet water 'fresh') ... way to go Matt!! .. welcome to the Idiot Club.....
PS: Ive sent a message sent to your new phone... no excuse not to hear from you now :D