anyone using map & compass not GPS?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Op Ivy
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

anyone using map & compass not GPS?

Post by Op Ivy » 14 April 11 12:44 pm

I just found out about geocaching recently and would like to get involved but don't have and can't afford (any time soon) a GPS unit. I'm wondering if anyone here uses a map and compass to find caches? Mainly wondering if its a realistic option. And if so, wondering where I can learn to use a compass and get suitable maps.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found

Re: anyone using map & compass not GPS?

Post by Happy Chappies » 14 April 11 1:12 pm

I'm not sure about map and compass, but with a fair number of caches you can get away with using a tool like google maps. In many instances it's close enough to get you in the general vicinity (provided there's some decent landmarks around) and then just might require a more detailed search.

I've forgotten who it is or where the thread is, but there's a cacher on these forums who has knocked up 1000 finds with no gps.... He might be a good person to chat to about the how-to.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 14 April 11 2:19 pm

I found there was nothing more frustrating that trying to geocache without a GPSr and after a fruitless day of it we went and paid $135 for an Etrex H and found the same five caches with relative ease.

Of course two years later and plenty of experience with Google Maps, Google Earth and Nearmap under the belt and I could probably give it a go more successfully but why bother? The legendary GPS-free cacher is Bob from Elsewhere as I recall. He would have a completely different take on this!

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 14 April 11 2:30 pm

I did my first 20 or so without a GPS, mainly using google maps together with full use of the description and past logs as well. You can do it, but its a much slower, more laborious process than with a GPS.

Op Ivy
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by Op Ivy » 17 April 11 11:02 am

Thanks for the replies.

Happy Chappies - thanks for the google maps suggestion - wasn't sure it would get me close enough but probably worth a try.

Thanks for sharing your experience Yurt... I have been trying to think of a way to come up with the $$$ but I'm a student and need to put most of my resources towards study costs. Still thinking on it though... I've noticed no one's selling the yellow etrex in classifieds or ebay but will keep an eye out (that is with the exception of 1 on ebay at the moment but timings not good for me). I guess that must mean that its a really good unit seeing as no one seems to be parting with them...

Pesky thanks for your reply. Have started watching the youtube video and it looks really good (will be back to it in a moment). I didn't realise topo maps are so expensive although I'd only be in SE Qld area. I guess I can see that maps are limited for geocaching - maybe better to stick to google maps until I find a way to get an etrex. But I'm also wanting to get into orienteering so the info you've put up about maps is still interesting to me.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 17 April 11 6:26 pm

Rays Outdoors currently have the Etrex H for $99, which is cheaper than new ones on eBay.

As for using google maps, use them off this site which is accurate as opposed to the ones on gc.com - they deliberately place the dots slightly off to force people to use a GPS (and hopefully pay for premium membership). Unless they have changed that policy recently.

kennythe1st

Post by kennythe1st » 17 April 11 7:53 pm

Gidday Op Ivy

Yurt mentioned Nearmap. http://www.nearmap.com I recommend using their aerial photography (the best available imnsho) after you have located the cache rough position on say GCA's Google map. The photo will often help in deciding the best approach and perhaps even narrow down the location based on the description.

If you do get into orienteering then a strategy would be to focus on caches that are on an orienteering mapped areas. For example we were at an orienteering event yesterday that had 3 caches on the mapped area. The detail of an orienteering map can be even more valuable than a map+photo.

Another strategy is to select caches that make it easier to find using just maps and photos. Caches alongside roads and tracks for example. Recently when visiting Auckland, A+ and I each thought the other had brought a GPSr. Nevertheless on a bush walk that had caches along the track, we got all but one. Simply used Google map (including terrain so we could tell how the cache was situated in respect of ups and downs), aerial photos and the cache desciptions.

Have fun caching and orienteering ](*,) And maybe try rogaining :idea:

Regards, Kenny

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 18 April 11 9:26 am

Richary wrote:As for using google maps, use them off this site which is accurate as opposed to the ones on gc.com - they deliberately place the dots slightly off to force people to use a GPS (and hopefully pay for premium membership). Unless they have changed that policy recently.
Really?! In five years of caching I have never noticed that to be the case! Upon what do you base this?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 April 11 10:07 am

Google Maps are the same.
Google Earth, the co-ordinates are futzed at GC to avoid people using the kml files to pinpoint a cache without being a member.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 18 April 11 11:18 am

Hoojar wrote:
Richary wrote:As for using google maps, use them off this site which is accurate as opposed to the ones on gc.com - they deliberately place the dots slightly off to force people to use a GPS (and hopefully pay for premium membership). Unless they have changed that policy recently.
Really?! In five years of caching I have never noticed that to be the case! Upon what do you base this?
caughtatwork wrote:Google Maps are the same.
Google Earth, the co-ordinates are futzed at GC to avoid people using the kml files to pinpoint a cache without being a member.
Ahh, hence the fact that I have never noticed, as I very, very rarely run the Google Earth KML file. In fact the only time that I do use Google Earth is to see the NSW NPWS Estate Data overly and compare that to the GCA (not GC) KML file :-)

Richary

Post by Richary » 18 April 11 7:10 pm

I seem to recall from the old days that as you zoomed in on the GC maps the cache would jump around a bit. That may not be the case now, or it may be just my memory ](*,)

pjw

Post by pjw » 18 April 11 9:35 pm

As someone who does nothing other than trig points I use maps heavily to identify my targets an in planning my route. Once you get beyond the suburbs and into the wild country nothing beats a map for planning you route and looking at options. I'm a very firm believer that all of these tools are supplementary rather than alternatives. The best, safest navigation comes from using a combination of map, compass and gps. My gps has an electronic compass but I'm not totally confident in it's accuracy but the technology continues to get better and better. Don't abandon your maps.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 18 April 11 11:16 pm

Don't abandon your maps.
My oldest Topo was issued in 1984. High quality robust paper means it & others issued in the 80s are still in reasonable condition. Collector's pieces perhaps?

Op Ivy
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by Op Ivy » 20 April 11 4:12 pm

Regarding google earth - what are the kml files? Will you be on target if you manually enter the co-ordinates? I'd like to have a go at finding a cache or two on the weekend.

Kenny - thanks for the suggestion on using orienteering maps. There's a couple of orienteering events on after Easter that I'm hoping to participate in - the website says you can just turn up with nothing and borrow a compass, get help with how to use it etc so think I'll give that a try. I only know the general location of the events so when I see what areas the maps cover I'll be able to check for caches in the areas too. I looked up rogaining too - sounds like fun... but how do you find a team?