TB advice

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
confusedcious
Twitter: Heatherconf

TB advice

Post by confusedcious » 31 March 11 5:30 pm

Hi, just wanted to seek advice from some more experienced cachers.

I recently discovered a TB in a cache in SA - its previous log had been two months prior in Tasmania when it was dropped into a cache there. I logged that I had discovered it, assuming this was the right thing to do, but later recieved an email from the cacher who had placed it in the cache - they sounded quite annoyed that I hadn't waited until they logged it in - and when I revisited the TB page they'd put in a note and dated it two days prior to my discovery of the TB.

Did I do the right thing or should I do something different here?

confusedcious
Twitter: Heatherconf

Re: TB advice

Post by confusedcious » 31 March 11 5:51 pm

Issue seems to be resolved, other cacher didn't realise that it hadn't been logged out of the Tasmanian cache. So all is well :)

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 31 March 11 9:42 pm

It's not uncommon to find a TB that hasn't been logged into the cache where you find it. Sometimes this is becasue the cacher is travelling and hasn't yet been able to log it. You can look to see if this is the likely reason by checking on the cachers recent logs if you can work out who last picked up the TB. Give it a bit of time and see if they catch up on their logs, if not, send a message to them.

Otherwise, it might be becasue logging it has been forgotten or done incorrectly. In this case, send a friendly message to the cacher involved to see what's happening.

If you can't work out who last picked up the TB, wait a few days and if nothing happens, just log it with a comment about not knowing who last dropped it in.

:D

E_ZIG_A

Post by E_ZIG_A » 09 April 11 10:08 pm

Ok, I think I am a bit confused here so I'll describe my situation and seek your feedback as to whether I did the right thing or not.... I found a TB in a cache just last week, took it home and logged it from my computer. As I was doing this I noticed that this particular TB did not appear in the inventory of the cache I had found, which I guess means the person who dropped it in that cache (and they logged finding the cache by the way) did not log the TB as dropped in to that cache; ie. it was still sitting in their inventory. Soooo, did I "steal" the TB out of their inventory by logging this before they had a chance to "drop" the TB into the cache? I noticed that on the TB's log page I couldn't say that I grabbed it from the actual cache I found it, but rather just had to log it as "grabbed".... my bad? or the other geocachers bad for not finishing off their logging? :?:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 April 11 11:47 pm

We've all found ourselves in that situation. If the other cacher has logged it as found then a quick email asking them to drop the TB in the cache would be the best. If they haven't, and it is obvious that the cache you found it in hasn't been found for a while by that cacher then I have just grabbed it in the past, logged it into the cache I found it in, then taken it again. That way it gets the correct mileage up.