Welcome to the Easter 2012 Oz Mega Event

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found

Re: Welcome to the Easter 2012 Oz Mega Event

Post by The Coffee's » 03 June 11 11:44 am

Team Pathfinder wrote:I like the idea of editing hides - will make up some cards to go into our caches. Log books which clearly shows the Oz Mega coming soon. =D>
<p>
Excellent suggestion!, if you design a card could you send a cop to me so I can add it to my caches. Regards Mr.Coffee

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 03 June 11 4:35 pm

Hoojar wrote: I seem to recall that following the last Mega Event we were told that future Mega Event would be listed as Mega Events immediately as 'we' had already proven that we had the numbers to support such a claim. I am positive that I read that on the forums somewhere in the wash-up after the last one?
That was our recollection also - it seems to be the case for other countries!

the farmers 5
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 03 June 11 7:03 pm

andiamo wrote:
Hoojar wrote: I seem to recall that following the last Mega Event we were told that future Mega Event would be listed as Mega Events immediately as 'we' had already proven that we had the numbers to support such a claim. I am positive that I read that on the forums somewhere in the wash-up after the last one?
That was our recollection also - it seems to be the case for other countries!
Within a week of OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA finishing, i emailed our good friend who works at Groundspeak and asked her a few questions.
If we held another MEGA within 2 years at Wagga Wagga, would it be listed straight away as a MEGA , with the icon in the balloon near the heading.
She replied that its not guaranteed but probaly. :D

What if we held it elsewhere in Australia.?
You would have to go through the processes again.

So, we have jumped a giant leap forward by getting it published in the first week of June which they approved.
( This is 5 months ahead of our October release last time, so plenty of time to streamline).
The GC page has been locked and we cant work on it at present because the system states the date is 6 months ahead of actual event date. But groundspeak are fixing that over next few days.)

The next step is to get that MEGA icon in the balloon. Most MEGA's in the world only get it after the event when log books etc are checked that 500 plus did actually attend.
We were fortunate at Wagga in that we were one of only 2 events ever in the world that were given the MEGA ICON in advance prior to it actually being on.

What Groundspeak will be watching is "will Attends ". , Not registrations.,as they cant see them.
Last time once we got well past 600 people it was upgraded . More than likely that might happen again. That occurred in February last time ,so could be earlier this time.It is not guaranteed , but probable. :D :D

The other MEGA's that get instant MEGA status when listed are at the same location each year.
There are plenty of rules for MEGA's, one of which they must be a Gold Sponsor, cant say no. Must be listed with the logo prominately and high up in any lists.
Also a royality fee of 20% goes to them if you use their logo on merchandise to sell.

Keep the will attends rolling,
Thankfully,
Greg
President

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 08 June 11 10:23 am

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote:
Team Pathfinder wrote:I like the idea of editing hides - will make up some cards to go into our caches. Log books which clearly shows the Oz Mega coming soon. =D>
<p>
Excellent suggestion!, if you design a card could you send a cop to me so I can add it to my caches. Regards Mr.Coffee
Sure will. Working on it right now :D

Oz Mega Committee
Location: Committee for OZ MEGA geocaching mega events around Australia.We are a non profit incorporated assoc

Post by Oz Mega Committee » 14 June 11 9:38 pm

This will be the Committee's final post here on this topic.
As promised, we will start a new topic next week that feature mainly weekly updates. :)

At this stage after 12 days since the event was published, we have about 95 teams posted "Will Attends".

About one half of the 74 powered sites have been requested.So, if you have a caching friend who you know are coming and want a powered site, best send them a text or email and let them know to post a "Will Attend " , as the sites will be snapped up within a few weeks.
We are also trying to get it listed on the weekly notification email as a mega. That wont happen until its upgraded to 'Mega Status ".
That wont happen until we get over 500 people in the Will Attends of which we have approximately 250 at present.
We have placed the event within New Zealand's own geocaching site and the British section of the GC forum. Thats why the flag counter for those two countries are now climbing. It was unusual to see a British team place a bookmark list on the OZ MEGA page of British caches ??

If teams are not aware yet you can find OZ MEGA ALBURY WODONGA at the top of the NSW section or/ GC2Q4JF.

The Committee thanks all teams from far and wide for their keen intents to date. :)
Thankfully,
Greg.