Overnight hikes with caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Have you camped overnight to obtain a cache?

YES
39%
NO
61%

Total votes: 33

jgc3

Overnight hikes with caches

Post by jgc3 » 06 March 11 2:00 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend any overnight camping / long hikes with nearby caches?

One of my favourites which is easy is the GSWW starting in Portland VIC.

Thanks
James

Adrian Mc

Re: Overnight hikes with caches

Post by Adrian Mc » 06 March 11 3:41 pm

Try the Heysen Trail in SA.
Lots of caches along its route, but it may take more than one 'overnight' to complete it.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 06 March 11 9:00 pm

I have found a few caches while I have been overnight caching, including the GOW, Bogong High Plains, Larapinta Track, and other places, but never actually gone out overnight just to get a cache. I am committed, not that committed!

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 06 March 11 9:35 pm

Well sort of! I did camp at the HAVOC Event to grab a cache early the next morning, but you can do "Frying Pan" without having camped... or hiked too far ;) So I guess that's a No, but I would in a heartbeat if I had the time.

The SBI

Post by The SBI » 07 March 11 9:46 am

If you are really keen, a ridge not far enough, and don't bluff around will take about 3-4 (or more) full days hiking to do

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 07 March 11 10:10 am

Thanks to everyone who have replied. Interesting stuff. I have done bits of the Heysen trail.

Would like to get a chance to do
http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/

Anyone out there done parts or all of it.. massive walk and I assume plenty of caches along the way!

Thanks
James

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 07 March 11 11:31 am

jgc3 wrote:Would like to get a chance to do
http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/

Anyone out there done parts or all of it.. massive walk and I assume plenty of caches along the way!
I've walked the Bilbbulmun from Walpole to Albany. Steeba and I did a few caches along the way.

I know several people who have walked the entire track in stages, however I do not know anyone who has walked the entire track in one expedition.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 07 March 11 1:40 pm

The Rat and I walked out and did Lovers Leap We even recorded some video for Geotalk.

We proably could have done it in a day but the overnight stay adds to the adventure, plus I'd hate to get caught out here it gets rather cold...

FarmerFrentzen and I turned some of the longer ACT walks into overnight walks just to save the feet a long day trip where others had ridden part of the track.

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 07 March 11 2:30 pm

Beeripmo Loop has a few caches, most are also accessable by car, although that's not a reason to not do the walk, and it is within striking distance of The Mount.
Probably not as hard as implied, I did it as an overnight during daylight saving, started at 3pm, finished 3pm next day, then went hunting other local caches by car.

In the area, I am sure there must be many overnight walks with caches that could be planned in the Grampians.

The Cathederal Ranges loop is rated as an overnighter in most books. Start at the sugarloaf car park. Follow the range top end to end and return up the valley. I did it in one very hard day and didn't do some of the spur tracks. Several caches, I did the loop pre-caching, but returned just to doA Close Shave. Note the 4* terrain on this is the walking track to the cache and I think it should be 4.5* approaching 5*.

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 07 March 11 5:51 pm

Thanks that sounds interesting. Appreciate the info.. hope to take a trip over there.. cheers
Dik: wrote:Beeripmo Loop has a few caches, most are also accessable by car, although that's not a reason to not do the walk, and it is within striking distance of The Mount.
Probably not as hard as implied, I did it as an overnight during daylight saving, started at 3pm, finished 3pm next day, then went hunting other local caches by car.

In the area, I am sure there must be many overnight walks with caches that could be planned in the Grampians.

The Cathederal Ranges loop is rated as an overnighter in most books. Start at the sugarloaf car park. Follow the range top end to end and return up the valley. I did it in one very hard day and didn't do some of the spur tracks. Several caches, I did the loop pre-caching, but returned just to doA Close Shave. Note the 4* terrain on this is the walking track to the cache and I think it should be 4.5* approaching 5*.