Yet another Newbie

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
KnitnTel

Yet another Newbie

Post by KnitnTel » 12 February 11 12:54 pm

Hi all
the name is Terry and Ive recently found out about Geocaching

Im interested enough to take out a Basic membership. Im not investing in a GPS yet. Im going to take up the challange with my Iphone and a couple of GPS apps

Have looked up some local caches and when I have a few hours free Ill see if I can find them.

Now I know Im going to cop a heap of flack for using the iphone but its cost effective for me, but if anyone has any tips on using the iphone Im all ears.

Wish me luck !

caughtatwork

Re: Yet another Newbie

Post by caughtatwork » 12 February 11 1:21 pm

Finding with an iPhone is fine, hiding with an iPhone, well ...

More than enough caches up your way to warrant a Premium Membership at geocaching.com
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc1dm9p.gmap

Of course, try a few without paying first and see if you enjoy it, or you become obsessed :-)

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Re: Yet another Newbie

Post by mundoo » 12 February 11 3:29 pm

KnitnTel wrote:Hi all
the name is Terry and Ive recently found out about Geocaching

Im interested enough to take out a Basic membership. Im not investing in a GPS yet. Im going to take up the challange with my Iphone and a couple of GPS apps

Have looked up some local caches and when I have a few hours free Ill see if I can find them.

Now I know Im going to cop a heap of flack for using the iphone but its cost effective for me, but if anyone has any tips on using the iphone Im all ears.

Wish me luck !
Quite a few of us use an iPhone. Just be aware they usually have a large area of search and if you are using a non-telstra carrier you will lose service often and so the GPS doesn't update well (if at all). You do learn to develop your geo-sense quickly because the iPhone is not accurate enough to pinpoint a particular bush/tree etc.