What model GPS should we upgrade to?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: What model GPS should we upgrade to?

Post by maccamob » 13 February 11 1:33 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I have a protective screen on mine and it's fine.
So do we on our O450, and our works well too.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 13 February 11 2:26 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I have a protective screen on mine and it's fine.
I use a protective screen too, and it works well.
Look, the visibility thing is not a big deal. The 60 CSx screen is brilliant and much better than anything else vis wise.
If this is a concern to you, perhaps you should be looking at a GPSMap 62 ST. If your eyesight is a bit wonky, you'd better
check to see if you can read the cache details on a 62 as the font must be fairly small.

I just took my Oregon and my old 60CSx outside in the back yard and tried to take a photo and as far as clarity goes, there is no doubt the 60 wins hands down, but
it's the functionality where the Oregon leaps ahead. It's easier to carry, holds more data, has a useful camera, and after using it for 6 months I greatly prefer it.

If all you want to do is navigate to a waypoint use 60 CSx or a simple etrex. If you want to cache with reckless abandon, spontaneously, photograph anything unusual, read the detail on the cache listings, go for the 550. You'll soon forget the visibility difference. And if that is an issue for you, get a 62 ST.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 13 February 11 3:39 pm

I did a search of Zagg screens after my entry & they are available for Oregons & Magellans which is a relief.

My comments reflected my experiences with the Oregons I saw yesterday & were for the benefit of the author, having no idea of his or her age. That's why I qualified my comments by mentioning my age etc.

The comments by GMJ3191 appear to be aimed at me so I'll address two points raised.

Visibility is not a big issue - it is.

Easier to carry - surely you jest.

I am having problems with my 60CSx hence my research to find a replacement. I decided to share my experiences. Oregons are not suited to my eyesight. Will the 610 & 62s be suited - I'll find out first hand.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 13 February 11 11:21 pm

Tuena wrote:I did a search of Zagg screens after my entry & they are available for Oregons & Magellans which is a relief.

The comments by GMJ3191 appear to be aimed at me so I'll address two points raised.

Visibility is not a big issue - it is.

Easier to carry - surely you jest.

I am having problems with my 60CSx hence my research to find a replacement. I decided to share my experiences. Oregons are not suited to my eyesight. Will the 610 & 62s be suited - I'll find out first hand.
I went through the same process. I've had central retinal vein occlusions in both eyes, and my left eye is now useless for detail.
As I said, there's no doubt the 60s are clearer, but in the field, I don't have a problem.
But if you're concerned don't be. It sounds like the 62ST will be perfect for you.

About size, the Oregons are a similar width, and about 40% shorter, but have a bigger screen. They do seem easier to carry.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 23 February 11 12:41 pm

I had an opportunity to include an HTC Desire running C:geo in the visibility test.
Here is the result.

To be fair, you can always shade these things and move them around to improve visibility.
However, the 60 CSx clearly is the most visible, followed by the Oregon with the Desire a distant third. From what I've seen, the iPhone is about the same as the Desire.
In the shade however, the gap between them diminishes greatly, and the greater functionality of the Oregon and the phones comes into play.
In fact in my case, the Oregon was a lot less reflective than the other two, possibly due to the screen protector.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 23 February 11 4:54 pm

blossom* wrote:While everyone is talking about this, what do you think the best value-for-money in-car gps is that you can load caches onto and also take out in the field to follow an arrow to the general vicinity of GZ? I have a friend who is keen on going this way for a number of reasons and I'm not sure which ones work well and would aslo be in the $200 price range (bit of a big ask maybe)
The Garminasus A50 from Dick Smith for $199 with Android 2.1 and lifetime maps updates. Awesome value and a good accurate GPS. Locked to optus though, but with a TPG (runs on the Optus network) $1 SIM it is a fantastic unit for the money. Comes with the car cradle charger. Just load up GeoHunter copy down your GPX and yuo are away.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 23 February 11 5:02 pm

So I have been researching this now too. At the moment I am thinking of the Magellan eXplorist 610. For the money you really can't beat it. Johnny Appleseed GPS have it for $625 which include AusTopo for eXplorist. As a comparison the 450t, which includes topo maps, is $685 and from what I can tell the topo maps on the eXplorist are far more detailed, including more tracks and names of rivers and streams etc. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have spoken to ja-gps about the unit and the AusTopo Streets and Tracks maps ($260) have more detail still. They also have a 7-day return policy as long as the unit is as new (be sure to check the fine print, I haven't). So if you don't have the luxury of having a store that stocks the units locally you can always order one, play with it in the yard and outdoors in the sunlight etc and if you don't like it, return it. This is what I will be doing. If I decide to keep the explorist I'll probably then buy the extra $149 for the spoken turn-by-turn navigation maps.

My main use for this will be geocaching especially in the bush, so the maps are most important to me.