What model GPS should we upgrade to?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Re: What model GPS should we upgrade to?

Post by Yurt » 10 February 11 3:34 pm

caughtatwork wrote:What model is it?
Oops! I gave every other detail!

60CSx.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 February 11 4:07 pm

This is what google tells me:

1) put the gps in "USB Mass Storage" mode menu|menu|select setup|enter|select interface|enter|select USB Mass storage|enter after that the gps should show up like an external drive on your computer
2) locate and copy the .img file to your hard drive for later use, delete the .img file in the gps and replace it with the one you want to use. Make sure you name it the same as the file in the gps to start with. On my unit it is called gmapsupp.img

I would COPY the .img file from your GPS to your PC just in case this doesn't work and you need to put it back.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know whether this will work, or not!

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 10 February 11 4:26 pm

While everyone is talking about this, what do you think the best value-for-money in-car gps is that you can load caches onto and also take out in the field to follow an arrow to the general vicinity of GZ? I have a friend who is keen on going this way for a number of reasons and I'm not sure which ones work well and would aslo be in the $200 price range (bit of a big ask maybe)

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 10 February 11 4:54 pm

caughtatwork wrote:This is what google tells me:

1) put the gps in "USB Mass Storage" mode menu|menu|select setup|enter|select interface|enter|select USB Mass storage|enter after that the gps should show up like an external drive on your computer
2) locate and copy the .img file to your hard drive for later use, delete the .img file in the gps and replace it with the one you want to use. Make sure you name it the same as the file in the gps to start with. On my unit it is called gmapsupp.img

I would COPY the .img file from your GPS to your PC just in case this doesn't work and you need to put it back.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know whether this will work, or not!
Thanks, the wonder of "search is your friend" - should have managed that myself but I appreciate the direction!
When it came up on the computer as Drive E there was nothing on it, nothing to move or replace which is odd but I think it was looking at the blank micro-SD card I'd put in a while back but not used. I copied the files across but no change. I'm going to have to research this some more. I can't find another drive at this stage.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 10 February 11 5:14 pm

When i plug mine in, it comes up as Garmin Oregon (F:) for the gps and Removeable Disk (G:) for the SD card. And each of them then have a directory called "Garmin" which is where I have put the maps. Yes, i know this isn't the same gps as yours but I would hope yours eventually comes up like this too somehow.

Not much help i guess. sorry :(

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 10 February 11 5:15 pm

blossom* wrote:When i plug mine in, it comes up as Garmin Oregon (F:) for the gps and Removeable Disk (G:) for the SD card. And each of them then have a directory called "Garmin" which is where I have put the maps. Yes, i know this isn't the same gps as yours but I would hope yours eventually comes up like this too somehow.

Not much help i guess. sorry :(
What choices do you have on the gps for the "Interface Mode" ?

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 10 February 11 5:24 pm

blossom* wrote:While everyone is talking about this, what do you think the best value-for-money in-car gps is that you can load caches onto and also take out in the field to follow an arrow to the general vicinity of GZ? I have a friend who is keen on going this way for a number of reasons and I'm not sure which ones work well and would aslo be in the $200 price range (bit of a big ask maybe)
Hi. A nuvi 500 'crossover' unit is about US$300.

It might be a whole different learning curve though, compared to a handheld. :)

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 10 February 11 6:03 pm

Yurt, If you have Basecamp installed on PC, and Garmin-compatible maps installed on PC (viewable via Basecamp), maps can be also transferred to the 60CSx from there.

If connected to PC in Mass Storage mode with the 60CSx turned on, double-click on My computer > double-click Removable Disc (E:) (or whatever) > ...
You should see a folder called Garmin.

Boagsratz
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Boagsratz » 10 February 11 6:13 pm

I don't think I have turned my GPS on since I bought an HTC desire phone...anywhere I am, I open the c;geo app, and I am away, as soon as I find it I can log it on the spot... Can also store caches off line if you are going somewhere that you dont expect to be getting 3g...
I have compared it for accuracy with a friend's handheld, and it was spot on... however, he went and bought a phone like mine the next week

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 10 February 11 6:52 pm

PesceVerde wrote:Yurt, If you have Basecamp installed on PC, and Garmin-compatible maps installed on PC (viewable via Basecamp), maps can be also transferred to the 60CSx from there.

If connected to PC in Mass Storage mode with the 60CSx turned on, double-click on My computer > double-click Removable Disc (E:) (or whatever) > ...
You should see a folder called Garmin.
Did Basecamp come with the GPS? I have to check what I've got.

I don't get any folders when I click the drive. I know I'm just clicking the empty micro-SD card because when I took it out I don't get anything at all when I connect. All that appears on the E drive are the img files I copied in, it doesn't know what to do with them in that format I guess.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 10 February 11 7:42 pm

GJMMelb wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:
I upgraded to an Oregon 550 last year. This has a totally different interface and operating philosophy which takes a while to get on top of, especially if you use it for other uses and not just geocaching. The caching features seem to dominate it's operation and it takes a while to get used to switching profiles and customising them.
For caching however they are tops, and the camera is very handy as well. You can store pretty much the whole cache listing except for graphics, for up to 5,000 caches.
You really need to use it with GSAK to get the best out of it.
Hi gmj3191,
just wondering what the screen on the Oregon 550 is like to read in bright sunlight etc
Thanks - GJMMelb
This might help, although I think it's better in the flesh.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GPSCity#p/s ... RHi9V6h7Og

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 10 February 11 10:14 pm

I'm looking to upgrade as my 60 CSx has problems turning on or off despite being relatively new.

I'm looking at the Magellan 610, the Garmin Oregon 450t & Map62s with Garmin topo.

After my experience, I'd aim for the top end of either company. They all have their pros & cons but it's the most recent technology or at least it is for the Magellan & the 62s. I purchased the 60 CSx after extensive study & because I had the good fortune to see (or not see) the screen of an Oregon 300. That doesn't appear to be as big a problem as in the past, assuming the 450t has undergone the same changes as the 550. The 62s has the clearest screen of the three being similar to the 60CSx. All have paperless caching. Feature wise the Magellan is streets ahead.

Johnny Appleseed have good deals on the Magellan & the 62s (package). I'll travel up & have a look first hand, incl. in the Sun.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 10 February 11 10:45 pm

Yurt wrote: ... Did Basecamp come with the GPS? I have to check what I've got.

I don't get any folders when I click the drive. I know I'm just clicking the empty micro-SD card because when I took it out I don't get anything at all when I connect. All that appears on the E drive are the img files I copied in, it doesn't know what to do with them in that format I guess.
=In Mass Storage mode, try creating a folder in drive E: called Garmin and put the gmapsupp.img file in the newly created Garmin folder.

=My 60CSx came boxed with the Mapsource Trip and Waypoint Manager CD which is good, but Basecamp is good also with the 62S. Still have a liking for the 60CSx. 8)
I usually use Basecamp now for Track, Waypoint, and Map management. It's a free download for PC or Mac, from the Garmin website.
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/onthetrail/basecamp

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 13 February 11 11:29 am

Attended a geocaching event yesterday & had a look at a variety of Oregons. Information on the 300 screens was virtually impossible to see despite it being a heavily overcast day.

A friend has a 550 < 12 months old & although it was better than the 300s, it was still very difficult to see information on the screens. I tilted it this way & that without much improvement. As a comparison I held my 60CSx next to her 550 & she was amazed at the clarity of my receiver. She asked whether I had the backlight turned on - no.

The higher the resolution of the screens the more difficult they are to see in the open. The order of resolution of the ones I'm researching are the Oregon, Magellan & 62s. The Oregons are now off my list.

BTW I wear glasses for short sightedness & am in my late 50s. My binoculars are 17x50 & not something I carry around as a matter of course.

I would suggest you purchase any new (touch screen) GPSr from a store so that you can view them outdoors or attend an event & do as I did.

The other thing I noticed with the Oregons was the condition of the screens. Assume they wont operate with a protective screen such as Zagg & they have suffered accordingly with deep scratches & worse.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 February 11 12:17 pm

I have a protective screen on mine and it's fine.