The other kind of 'find'.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Re: The other kind of 'find'.

Post by Yurt » 07 February 11 10:10 pm

Some noob cacher actually PUT what appeared to be a stolen (or found) credit card into one of my new caches - they were FTF and managed to also take the clue that was needed to find the final cache in the series. I went to the cache to replace the missing clue and found the card which I dropped in to the bank.

I emailed this joker about it as well as taking the clue AND putting the clue in his log but he never replied. The only time I've deleted someone's log. I told them to repost without the clue in their log but of course they never did. No loss to geocaching I'd say.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 19 March 12 11:52 am

Well, it's been well over a year since my first post that started this thread about a bicycle I'd discovered which I handed in to police... About 9 months ago therefore I assumed it had been claimed by the owners so while a bit disappointed about not having a fun new toy :wink: I comforted myself with the warm feeling that I'd done something decent....

And then this morning I get a phone call from the local cop shop - "Oh, do you want that bike you handed in?"

:D :D :D :D :D

Took them a while - But I'm not complaining too much! Turns out that geocaching was more profitable than I'd ever envisaged! \:D/

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found

Post by Captain Terror » 22 March 12 3:08 am

There is a cache in D'Aguilar Forest up here, just west of Brisbane (several actually, but one in particular). Some months ago a group of cachers went for the 4 hour round hike and upon return to the car, one noticed his phone was missing. Knowing he'd dropped it, doubled back to look but it was never found. Flash forward to last weekend and a group of us went and found the very same cache. On our return trip we were joking about how unlikely the phone would ever turn up, when (as coincidentally as is possible) one of the chaps in the group spotted the phone! Full of water but the data still recoverable, much to the relief of the phone owner. Not exactly an expensive find, but a very, very unlikely one.

jonnosan+2

Post by jonnosan+2 » 22 March 12 8:01 pm

Here's a log describing (with minimal detail) just such an event - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... a4db4936f3

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Stuff You Find While Geocaching

Post by pjmpjm » 23 March 12 12:37 am

The only useful article I've ever found while geocaching was a fairly new spade in a park, just lying on the ground, nearly two years ago. I initially left it there and walked to the car, but then returned after a few minutes and took it with me. I wasn't sure of the protocol for such a 'find' -- probably not particularly valuable -- so didn't even consider dropping it off at a police station. I still have it in my garage, if anyone is missing a spade . . .

And last year I grabbed a $20 note that was literally blowing down a footpath on Leura Mall. I looked all around to see if someone had dropped it or if anyone was nearby, but no-one was in sight. I didn't take that to the police station either . . .

Great topic!

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 23 March 12 9:43 am

I think 'finding' stuff is becoming a bit of a theme with my geocaching. Since the bike-find, I was also up in Canberra earlier this year and was doing Vernon's view (unsuccesfully due to some dodgy ipod-note importing) and at one of the waypoints found a wallet - Just lying on the footpath in full view of the world and still stuffed with cash!! It almost felt like a set-up as it was so out in the open... The wallet had ID so I turned it into the police but I have to admit that it was very hard not to 'misplace' the cash (it was a few hundred dollars)... But then I can imagine how nice it would be if I'd lost my own wallet to have it returned with the cash untouched, so decided it would be the right thing to do.... :cry:

Sigh.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 23 March 12 8:47 pm

Pesky! wrote:I often wonder when yous ee the news articles about "hikers" finding bones or remains, if the "hikers" were geocaching at the time.
like the recent western sydney bones discoverd by hikers.
I'm glad I wasn't the only person to think that when I read that article.

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 23 March 12 9:18 pm

I must be doing the wrong caches, I only find golf balls (I left the ones too close to golf courses ;-) ), marbles, and other "valuable" swag items... [sigh!]

Rainbow Spirit
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Rainbow Spirit » 24 March 12 11:02 pm

I found $25 at a carpark cache once, I assumed it was a 16th to find prize!

Regarding the 'hikers' who found some human bones at Londonderry NSW, the nearest GCA cache is 1.5km away, and GC 2km. I know this because we (SES) were requested to help with an evidence search there.

canary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by canary » 25 March 12 12:03 am

Rainbow Spirit wrote:I found $25 at a carpark cache once, I assumed it was a 16th to find prize!

Regarding the 'hikers' who found some human bones at Londonderry NSW, the nearest GCA cache is 1.5km away, and GC 2km. I know this because we (SES) were requested to help with an evidence search there.
I once found waaaay more than that at a cache as about a Fourth To Find prize.

But, I returned it!

Rainbow Spirit
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Rainbow Spirit » 25 March 12 6:25 am

I think Canary means my wallet!

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 01 April 12 6:12 pm

We found a stolen wallet whilst cache hunting locally. I think it had been there a while and was already sans cache and credit cards. Only a few 'unimportant' cards left. We took it to the police anyway.
Oh and of course the usual assortment of tennis and golf balls. I always mean to give them to people, but they just end up rolling around the car.

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 10 April 12 2:04 pm

Alansee wrote:This one is more what I COULD have found. :shock:

Several years ago I was doing a cache in St Kilda in Melbourne. It involved some research in a Library, and when finished GZ was in a nearby park. My GPS had me over a fence not far from a road bridge, but I thought, hmmmm..... that doesn't quite fit the hint. The hide was soon found in a tree in the park not too far off my GZ.

A month or two later a body was found under the bridge, having been there two years or so. I continue to think that if my calculations had been just that bit wrong........., or I hadn't read the hint ........ :shock: :shock: :shock: 8-[
Obviously the result of two teams competing for the FTF

lemmykc
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by lemmykc » 11 April 12 11:16 am

Rabbitto wrote:
Alansee wrote:This one is more what I COULD have found. :shock:

Several years ago I was doing a cache in St Kilda in Melbourne. It involved some research in a Library, and when finished GZ was in a nearby park. My GPS had me over a fence not far from a road bridge, but I thought, hmmmm..... that doesn't quite fit the hint. The hide was soon found in a tree in the park not too far off my GZ.

A month or two later a body was found under the bridge, having been there two years or so. I continue to think that if my calculations had been just that bit wrong........., or I hadn't read the hint ........ :shock: :shock: :shock: 8-[
Obviously the result of two teams competing for the FTF
Rofl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: