DNFs Logged vs. Actual DNFs

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
budgietas
10000 or more caches found

Re: DNFs Logged vs. Actual DNFs

Post by budgietas » 10 May 11 6:08 pm

I had an interesting cache in Queensland recently. The cache required a "tool" (and I use that term loosely) to retrieve the cache. I knew where the cache was, so planned to return the next day with the appropriate "tool" to retrieve the cache. I did not log a DNF or note - just made a note in my find log the next day about the process that I had gone through.

I thought that was fair to both the site - with useless and uninfromative logs and also for the owner of the cache.

I mainly use DNF for caches that
a) are there but I just can't find :oops:
b) are gone :(

GGau

Post by GGau » 10 May 11 6:54 pm

Thanks for this forum thread. I've just logged my DNFs & a note for my trip to bendigo after reading this. As a novice cacher, I didn't want to clag up the log lists when I'm sure all my DNFs at this stage are due to my inexperience.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 10 May 11 8:51 pm

Gday Ggau! Just remember a Find Log is great for you, but ultimately a DNF Log where appropriate benefits the whole community. They help the cache owner, and other hunters. People will read your log and look at the number of finds next to your name and decide if perhaps it was missed due to inexperience, or if there is more likely a bigger problem. Never be worried about logging a DNF :D

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Post by pjmpjm » 11 May 11 1:57 am

Zalgariath wrote:Gday Ggau! Never be worried about logging a DNF :D
I've noticed that the most experienced and successful geocachers often log the largest numbers of DNFs . . .

landau351
1800 or more caches found

Post by landau351 » 26 May 11 10:15 pm

I recently logged 5 DNFs in a row (May 14) but really, with 400+ finds under my belt, even I think that was a pretty poor show. The issue I found with my DNFs (all due to a REALLY bad day as I did spend at least 30 minutes searching for each before giving it away) was that it caused the CO's of three of them to go check up pretty much straight away. They each confirmed the caches were still in place via email and it made me feel somewhat embarrassed to have caused a fuss. I shall be far more careful in future (both searching and recording DNF's). So if you have a higher find count I would suggest adding a DNF only if you have made a REALLY-REALLY good look. If you suspect it's just a bad day (like mine), then perhaps a note instead, to avoid alarming a CO unnecessarily. Either that or be real clear that you think the cache is likely to still be in place.
- David

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 27 May 11 9:57 am

landau351 wrote:So if you have a higher find count I would suggest adding a DNF only if you have made a REALLY-REALLY good look. If you suspect it's just a bad day (like mine), then perhaps a note instead, to avoid alarming a CO unnecessarily. Either that or be real clear that you think the cache is likely to still be in place.
- David
I disagree entirely. If you cannot find a cache, then you should post a DNF. Simple. A DNF does not mean that the cache is not there, it means that YOU did not FIND it. No matter what the circumstances. A DNF Is a Did Not Find. And if you did not find the cache, off day or not, then you should post a DNF. Anything else and you are lying to yourself. If you did not look I would place a note.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 27 May 11 10:51 am

Hoojar wrote:
landau351 wrote:So if you have a higher find count I would suggest adding a DNF only if you have made a REALLY-REALLY good look. If you suspect it's just a bad day (like mine), then perhaps a note instead, to avoid alarming a CO unnecessarily. Either that or be real clear that you think the cache is likely to still be in place.
- David
I disagree entirely. If you cannot find a cache, then you should post a DNF. Simple. A DNF does not mean that the cache is not there, it means that YOU did not FIND it. No matter what the circumstances. A DNF Is a Did Not Find. And if you did not find the cache, off day or not, then you should post a DNF. Anything else and you are lying to yourself. If you did not look I would place a note.
I agree with Hoojar. Your DNF log is purely a reflection of your experience with the cache - if the CO got upset then he/she was being too precious.

My experience has generally been the opposite. I've had a CO email me with suggestions/directions after I recorded 4 DNFs.

pjmpjm
Twitter: Booroobin

Post by pjmpjm » 27 May 11 3:20 pm

Tuena wrote:I agree with Hoojar. Your DNF log is purely a reflection of your experience with the cache - if the CO got upset then he/she was being too precious. My experience has generally been the opposite. I've had a CO email me with suggestions/directions after I recorded 4 DNFs.
Yes, I also agree with Tuena and Hoojar.

The CO will know his/her cache fairly well and will usually be able to judge when one or more DNFs point to a muggled hide. It's easy for all of us to miss a cache on an 'off' day. But more than 3-4 DNFs in a row can mean trouble . . .

I continue to believe that we need to strongly encourage more logging of DNFs. Otherwise, the feedback about caches isn't getting out. And it's all part of the fun of geocaching.

As I wrote earlier, look at the 'stats' available here at GCA -- and you'll find that the most experienced geocachers often post the largest percentage of DNFs.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 27 May 11 6:44 pm

As a CO I will take more notice of DNF logs from a couple of experienced cachers than from a couple of people with very few finds between them as well.

landau351

Post by landau351 » 29 May 11 2:10 pm

As a CO I will take more notice of DNF logs from a couple of experienced cachers than from a couple of people with very few finds between them as well.
This was what I was meaning. None of the CO's were 'upset' at all. It was my DNF that caused them to go check and then email me, even though I didn't actually ask that they consider these caches missing. Nor had there been a run of DNF's, on any of the caches prior to my search but some of these were in high muggle areas, so they must have assumed, that my single DNF meant it was actually gone. I have since located four of them by being more careful and using my geo-sense better. The last of the 5 I have not yet re-attempted.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 21 October 11 10:26 pm

Have a look at this cache and see if you notice a trend.
http://coord.info/GC29TFR
There hadn't been a DNF on this cache until we, and another team on the same day - we met them - logged DNFs. 43 finds in 13 months with a find every few weeks. Then in August our two DNFs and one by Marcus Vitruvius a few days later.
Since then, absolutely nothing. I did place a NM log on it but nothing's happened. I also PMed the CO a few weeks ago but nothing again. Never mind the inaction by the CO, I just wonder how many DNFs there have been. Or do people look it up and see the DNFs and not bother with it?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 October 11 9:26 am

I use option b.
If I see a bunch of DNF's I don't attempt it.

RebornCyclist
1850 or more caches found
1850 or more caches found

Post by RebornCyclist » 22 October 11 10:32 am

DNFs also seem to feed each other - people seem to give up quicker if the previous log or two were unsuccessful.
But it's still worth logging a DNF, because it gives the owner and other searchers feedback about how hard it may be to find.

The Empire
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by The Empire » 23 October 11 12:08 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I use option b.
If I see a bunch of DNF's I don't attempt it.
+1

If the cache page indicates that it's a relatively simple hide (ie mint tin under a bench or sistema under a tree) and there are 3 or 4 DNFs within the last few weeks, I won't bother searching. On the other hand, if the cache page indicates it's great camo and there are a few DNFs then I'll give it a crack.

budgietas

Post by budgietas » 23 October 11 4:59 pm

RebornCyclist wrote:DNFs also seem to feed each other - people seem to give up quicker if the previous log or two were unsuccessful.
But it's still worth logging a DNF, because it gives the owner and other searchers feedback about how hard it may be to find.
Totally agree