Continuous cachers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
chatmanais
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Continuous cachers

Post by chatmanais » 27 January 11 3:11 am

I dont think the subject heading is exactly how i want to put it. But does anyone have a rough idea or wish to estimate the number of cachers who appear in 'the game', even join the forum, proclaiming their excitement and undying love for their newly found hobby, only to disappear back into muggle land before reaching any significant milestone? (ie not even 50 or 100 finds). I personally know a couple myself and it seems some of the caches i have been logging lately are owned by people who havent logged onto the site in 6 months (or more) but still own several caches which are regularly found, and maintained, by the caching community at large. Would C@W or any of the site admins/mods etc know these figures by new accounts opened versus accounts still active? Thoughts?

caughtatwork

Re: Continuous cachers

Post by caughtatwork » 27 January 11 8:47 am

We don't show names as there are too many.

For Australian based* cachers, this graph shows the numbers of finds.
http://geocaching.com.au/stats/cachers/ ... nd_profile

Seems most people drop off with < 100 finds, then 200.

* Where a cacher has a cache find in Australia and we don't think they're from OS.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 27 January 11 9:10 am

I still get a laugh when I come across a log like:
"My first ever cache!!!!! W00t! This is such great fun!!!! I'm going to find every last one of them in Australia!!!!
25 March 2007 caching_rocks (1 found)

Renroc
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Renroc » 27 January 11 9:29 am

So looking at the graph... if you have found over 1900 caches you are in the top 100ish in Australia!!!!! =D> Well done to all those people. I am in the second bottom bar :) but will slowly and gradually work my way higher... Not saying I will every be up there with the big number people but I will keep going for a while yet.

chatmanais
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by chatmanais » 27 January 11 11:00 am

Checked out some of the other graphs on there... notably 'cachers by finds in a single day' Someone has 400 finds... that can't be possible surely... 1 find every 3.6 minutes for 24 hours straight. With caches needing to be at least 160m apart (granted they are finds on GC as well) They'd need to travel at least 64km to achieve this feat and somehow open, sign log, etc all within a matter of secs... what the? Am I reading this wrong and is it other cachers making 400 finds on their owned caches? Sometimes i get those 2 mixed up. But still seems highly unlikely

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 January 11 11:31 am

chatmanais wrote:Checked out some of the other graphs on there... notably 'cachers by finds in a single day' Someone has 400 finds... that can't be possible surely... 1 find every 3.6 minutes for 24 hours straight. With caches needing to be at least 160m apart (granted they are finds on GC as well) They'd need to travel at least 64km to achieve this feat and somehow open, sign log, etc all within a matter of secs... what the? Am I reading this wrong and is it other cachers making 400 finds on their owned caches? Sometimes i get those 2 mixed up. But still seems highly unlikely
http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/Marchwood/finds
Look at July 2010.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 27 January 11 11:43 am

caughtatwork wrote:
chatmanais wrote:Checked out some of the other graphs on there... notably 'cachers by finds in a single day' Someone has 400 finds... that can't be possible surely... 1 find every 3.6 minutes for 24 hours straight. With caches needing to be at least 160m apart (granted they are finds on GC as well) They'd need to travel at least 64km to achieve this feat and somehow open, sign log, etc all within a matter of secs... what the? Am I reading this wrong and is it other cachers making 400 finds on their owned caches? Sometimes i get those 2 mixed up. But still seems highly unlikely
http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/Marchwood/finds
Look at July 2010.
Why do all the USA finds show up as 'archived'?

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 27 January 11 11:44 am

People CAN find a lot of caches in a day with a LOT of planning and hard work and a team. I'm not sure about 400 - I'm sure someone will set me straight on the record...

Wendy

s_mc500
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by s_mc500 » 27 January 11 12:11 pm

I'm new to this game and have only found 13 including a few gnomes, there's some nearby to me that I haven't gone to get yet, but after finding local ones not sure I'd seek too many more out. See how we go, if I happen to travel somewhere and there's a cache nearby then I might seek it out but depends on what I'm up to.

chatmanais
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by chatmanais » 27 January 11 12:32 pm

Yurt wrote: Why do all the USA finds show up as 'archived'?
So the owners dont delete the log?? Maybe they actually were all done in the same month but they were just all logged on the same day and couldnt be bothered changing the date?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 January 11 12:36 pm

chatmanais wrote:
Yurt wrote: Why do all the USA finds show up as 'archived'?
So the owners dont delete the log?? Maybe they actually were all done in the same month but they were just all logged on the same day and couldnt be bothered changing the date?
The show ara archived at GCA because we don't get a regular feed so they "age off". i.e. No regular feeds, the database assumes they're archived so no longer in the feed.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 27 January 11 1:47 pm

I reckon a % of those who only have one or two finds are a case of someone deciding on a better caching name not long after starting. So the original name gets left behind with the first few finds and the new name has them all.

My logic tells me this is probably not uncommon. But also, I did this myself! Well, in fact I deleted the logs under my original name (Lynnda) so there are none found but still. The process is there.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

How Long Can You Geocache?

Post by pjmpjm » 27 January 11 9:46 pm

Yes, it's a question of will power, I guess, or what I've heard called 'the long will.'

It's easy to do difficult things for a few days or even a few weeks, but after a few months the novelty wears off. Geocaching is indeed a lot of fun, but mixed in with it are lots of hard yakka, long walks in the rain, a few dozen leeches, and some near falls off slippery cliffs!

The other side of the geocaching equation deals with those for whom the word 'obsession' is perhaps an unkind characterisation . . .

But that's a topic that's been dealt with here in other threads . . .

caughtatwork

Re: How Long Can You Geocache?

Post by caughtatwork » 27 January 11 10:03 pm

pjmpjm wrote:Yes, it's a question of will power, I guess, or what I've heard called 'the long will.'

It's easy to do difficult things for a few days or even a few weeks, but after a few months the novelty wears off. Geocaching is indeed a lot of fun, but mixed in with it are lots of hard yakka, long walks in the rain, a few dozen leeches, and some near falls off slippery cliffs!

The other side of the geocaching equation deals with those for whom the word 'obsession' is perhaps an unkind characterisation . . .

But that's a topic that's been dealt with here in other threads . . .
Says he ...

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 28 January 11 8:18 am

To answer the other question of how is it possible to do so many caches in a day (I asked the same thing when I started and saw a person with huge finds...) The Answer is "Power Trails" often. This has been covered before, check out http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... =2&t=15036 and http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... =2&t=15084 for more info