Trig points - a general discussion

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Is it a trig, but?

Post by pjmpjm » 06 September 12 12:55 pm

gmj3191 wrote:The cigarette butt is a nice touch.
Yes, the joys of urban geocaching. But at least there are fewer snakes . . .

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Re: Trig points - a general discussion

Post by GammaPiSigma » 06 September 12 3:08 pm

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Yeah the smoke butt was a special touch. Actually this was probably the tidiest of the lot, you should have seen the rubbish around the others.

The first pdf linked by Big Matt certainly looks like what I found except for the screw down bit on the lid.
rogerw3 wrote:The SS (State Survey) marker you have here is possibly a numbered marker since it is not screwed down and is of an older type, I have come across this type before and they are usually registered as a marker with the lands Dept (no idea what they are called these days since they are now part of the Finance Dpt).
The current survey markers from the RTA (now RMS) are usually not registered with the lands Dpt and the lid screwed down so you cannot open them. They are used by the RTA during road construction or sometime where a road is/was planned.
If you have the coords I can try to find out if they are a numbered Survey Marker for you.
Thanks rogerw3, I thought you may be able to shed some light on the subject. I have checked if these are listed at both http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/ and http://lite.maps.nsw.gov.au/ (BTW: I check all my SSM finds against these sites). But neither of these sites show those particular markers. If you have access to another source and can check them against it that would be great [-o< .

Google Map of marker location on Queen St in Campbelltown: http://goo.gl/maps/G4lCq. The RTA markers can be found at the base of the trees on the left hand side of the road.

Cheers,
Michael.

sharnie's tribe
9500 or more caches found
9500 or more caches found

Post by sharnie's tribe » 08 September 12 9:50 pm

We recently discovered two markers in Campbell Town in Tasmania about 4 metres apart. One says that it is a US Geological Survey Benchmark (elevation above sea level 654.77 feet) and the other says that it is a Geodetic Survey of Tasmania Primary GPS Station #ST1160. They are on either side of a sundial that was built to commerate the transit of Venus across the face of the Sun in 1874 and 2004.

Can anyone enlighten us about them as they are different to the Permanent Survey Marker plugs that we see practically everywhere?

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 08 September 12 11:08 pm

Today I spotted one the same as in the photo in the underground car park of Bunnings Thornleigh (NSW).

Couldn't get coords!!

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found

Post by mtbikeroz » 16 September 12 5:38 pm

Someone (who won't own up - PROBABLY rogerw3) has been publishing under the "Geocaching Australia" ownership, a series of "CORS" recently in the Canberra/ACT/Yass/Braidwood under the TRIG type cache in GCA.

IN FACT, ALL OVER NSW.

1 - who are they.
2 - These things are not really Trigs per se. According to GCA guidelines - http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Trigpoint these things are DEFINATELY not Trigs.

A full list thus far:
http://geocaching.com.au/tags/view/all/cors/

What cooks, and should they be Trigs or archived?

CORS = (CORS Continually Operating Reference Stations) collecting geodetic data from GNSS.

Information regarding CORS including a picture of the receiver can be found on the Land & Property Information site (a NSW Government Service) via http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/surveying/cor ... nformation

And in case that person reads this, if they create a trig for Tidbinbilla CORS, I will archive it immediately, as it is well and truly within NASA's Deep space communication complex in Tidbinbilla - way off limits and on private property.

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 16 September 12 8:30 pm

While I have published some CORS stations they are not all mine, not that it matters anyway.

No need to get all upset, they are recognized by the NSW Land dept as Trig Stations and have been assigned Trig ID Numbers.

These new high tech station are taking over the role of the original trig station although the network is not complete as yet. So far I think there are about 105 in service with more to be established gradually.

Now Trigs seem to have had a contentious history, but if they are not your cup of tea, feel free to ignore them, you can always put them on your ignore list and they will never show up on your map.

mtbikeroz

Post by mtbikeroz » 16 September 12 8:41 pm

I'll find them, not a problem for me. But, according to the GCA guidelines, they are NOT trigs. That's all.

Richary

Post by Richary » 16 September 12 9:22 pm

mtbikeroz wrote:But, according to the GCA guidelines, they are NOT trigs.
According to the Wiki:

Trig Points listed on GCA are, as mentioned above, a structure designed to aid in surveying.

I would look at a CORS (you can't call them CORS stations as the S already stands for station so makes as much sense as ATM Machine) and they are a structure designed to aid in surveying. Even if not via the traditional surveying methods using a theodolite or whatever surveyors used to use.

pjmpjm

Definition of Trig Station

Post by pjmpjm » 16 September 12 10:36 pm

Richary wrote:
mtbikeroz wrote:But, according to the GCA guidelines, they are NOT trigs.
According to the Wiki:

Trig Points listed on GCA are, as mentioned above, a structure designed to aid in surveying.

I would look at a CORS (you can't call them CORS stations as the S already stands for station so makes as much sense as ATM Machine) and they are a structure designed to aid in surveying. Even if not via the traditional surveying methods using a theodolite or whatever surveyors used to use.
I think we've been through all of this previously. If the NSW Department of Lands has assigned an official TS number, then the 'thing' is a Trig Station.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 16 September 12 10:43 pm

I published a few but not Deep Space Nine. It looked....... alien.

mtbikeroz

Post by mtbikeroz » 17 September 12 6:55 am

:D

mtbikeroz

Post by mtbikeroz » 17 September 12 6:58 am

".....a structure designed to aid in surveying".....

Phone towers can be ............(triangulation)
Benchmarks, Survey Markers are used to aid in surveying .....

Where does one stop?????

Anyway, nevermind, as I said above, no problem for me, I'll find it.

BigON
1200 or more Caches found
1200 or more Caches found

Post by BigON » 18 September 12 9:37 pm

The CORS site mentions two? on Stromlo in the ACT, I remember one from the picture (Weird looking thing, pointy thing sticking out of a cylinder) but there's no picture for the other.

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 21 September 12 12:51 am

sharnie's tribe wrote:We recently discovered two markers in Campbell Town in Tasmania about 4 metres apart. One says that it is a US Geological Survey Benchmark (elevation above sea level 654.77 feet) and the other says that it is a Geodetic Survey of Tasmania Primary GPS Station #ST1160. They are on either side of a sundial that was built to commerate the transit of Venus across the face of the Sun in 1874 and 2004.

Can anyone enlighten us about them as they are different to the Permanent Survey Marker plugs that we see practically everywhere?
The GPS one rings a bell, I think there is a locationless especially for these - or perhaps it was a waymark - but do you think I can find it now?... There are geodetic stations listed as GCA trigpoints though - perhaps its worth checking to see if it's listed as one?
Probably some information here: http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/We ... P65GL?open

The US one is unusual, I had no idea they had them over here - I'm no expert. There may be a GC benchmark for it as those only seem to relate to US Geo. ones. There are Australian Height Datum Markers (see http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga4411 ) but it doesn't sound like you've found one of those.

:-$

pjmpjm

rogerw3 Approaches Amazing Trig Total

Post by pjmpjm » 22 September 12 9:22 pm

Has anyone been watching rogerw3 rapidly approaching the magic trig total of 500 logs?

(No one else, anywhere in Australia, has even logged 400.)

We should plan some kind of celebration!