Trig points - a general discussion

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Kerry

Re: Trig points - a general discussion

Post by Kerry » 06 March 11 10:21 am

Most EDM calibration bases will be pillar type monuments with fixed insrtument mounting points so as to provide a straight distance calibration not influenced by other factors such as individual tripod setting, plummet adjustment etc

Typically there will be generally at least 7 stations (or more) and these will generally not be in a straight line but offset from each other so there is no obstruction and clear line of sight between any two stations.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Trig Photos -- What's Good Enough?

Post by pjmpjm » 19 March 11 11:13 am

I've been corresponding with some fellow trig aficionados and lately we've been discussing the photos required for the log of a trig.

What's good enough for the log?

Some of us turn ourselves inside out to get a decent picture of the vanes or whatever is left of a dismantled trigpoint.

We don't like to take long distance photos either, but want to get as close as possible.

When the vanes are on top of a reservoir there are sometimes special problems in getting a good view.

What do others think?

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 19 March 11 3:12 pm

Generally I just abide by the requirements viz: you will need to include a picture of the trig point, along with your GPS receiver and (preferably) yourself. I don't bother with the latter.

If the trig is just a pile of rocks I look for any metal vanes or posts lying about & try to include them in the photograph.

Trigs on private property are fair game if they are a couple of hundred metres away - no shots of dots on far distant hills.

My logs reflect my experiences on the day.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Re: Trig Photos -- What's Good Enough?

Post by Yurt » 24 March 11 5:59 pm

pjmpjm wrote:I've been corresponding with some fellow trig aficionados and lately we've been discussing the photos required for the log of a trig.

What's good enough for the log?

Some of us turn ourselves inside out to get a decent picture of the vanes or whatever is left of a dismantled trigpoint.

We don't like to take long distance photos either, but want to get as close as possible.

When the vanes are on top of a reservoir there are sometimes special problems in getting a good view.

What do others think?
There's a few I published recently and logged - I try very hard to get a shot of the vanes on a water tower trig. If I can't get them in shot then I wouldn't claim a find. I managed it okay with some effort and coming from different angles but I note that a recent finder appears to have taken distant shots from the car where you can only just make out the water tank with no sign of the trig at all.

Again we can say "play this game however you like blah blah blah" but really!

walw
1300 or more caches found

Post by walw » 25 March 11 9:19 am

I've started chasing trigs a few months ago, and the watertanks are definitely a bit of a grey area for me. Typically I've gotten as close as I can and taken a pic in front of the tank (and yes, done from the car in some!), but as these are generally featureless, this might not be the best way to go. The trigs are easy to spot from a distance (and photograph), but I thought the goal was getting as close as possible, not necessarily the pic of the trig itself. Other trigs are easy from this perspective, but the Watertank ones are problematic.

It's probably overkill, but am I better off taking a pic on the approach to get the trig and then a closer picture at the tank?
cheers,
Wal

walw

Post by walw » 25 March 11 9:21 am

Sorry, just thought of another question that's been nagging me about trigs too...If the trig in the pic is the goal, how critical is it to get myself or proof of myself (eg GPS) into the pic?

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 25 March 11 5:29 pm

Discussions on distance generally mention a maximum distance of 200 metres but this is not set in stone. Trigs I've found on water tanks generally are as close as I can legally get & I do my best to remember the GPSr. So I have part of my GPSr, the tank & the trig in the picture. As I am a sole cacher I don't worry about including myself.

The requirement mentioned in the original release states in part: 'you will need to include a picture of the trig point, along with your GPS receiver and (preferably) yourself.'

You could include a couple of photos - approaching & closer I suppose. I'd just submit the photo which best matches the requirement.

pjmpjm

Photos When Logging Trigs

Post by pjmpjm » 25 March 11 8:51 pm

walw wrote:I've started chasing trigs a few months ago, and the watertanks are definitely a bit of a grey area for me. Typically I've gotten as close as I can and taken a pic in front of the tank (and yes, done from the car in some!), but as these are generally featureless, this might not be the best way to go. The trigs are easy to spot from a distance (and photograph), but I thought the goal was getting as close as possible, not necessarily the pic of the trig itself. Other trigs are easy from this perspective, but the Watertank ones are problematic. It's probably overkill, but am I better off taking a pic on the approach to get the trig and then a closer picture at the tank? cheers, Wal
Great to see another geocacher chasing trigs!

My interpretation of the GCA trigpoint logging protocol is that you get as close up a photo of the trig itself as possible with at least your GPSr in the same photo.

Reservoirs are often a challenge. Sometimes the only way you can get any kind of photo of the 'vanes' of the trig, is to take your picture some distance off.

But I don't think taking photo of the reservoir tank itself is the way to go. It would be better to get the trig vanes in the picture, however distant.

If I have a friend with me, I sometimes manage to get myself in the photo with the trig. But most of the time it's just my Oregon 300 and a couple of fingers!

Good luck with your trig quest. Please don't hesitate to ask more questions here in the Forum. We're always happy to talk about our trigs!

oz lurker
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by oz lurker » 25 March 11 11:40 pm

My problem with the photo reqs is that I use my oregon 550 for the camera - so guess who isn't going to be in the shot and neither is my GPS!!!

However, I try to leave the exif info intact (except that if I'm posting piccies in logs for puzzle or multi caches etc as well, I occasionally batch strip the exif info from all the photo's of the day forgetting I have trigs in there as well - doh!) - which I am hoping satisfies most requirements.

If possible, I do attempt to have my shadow in the shot as well, but that doesn't always work.

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 26 March 11 12:12 am

I have a few points/questions

Are we or are we not supposed to, upon finding new trig, name it for a new listing under Geocaching Australia cos I have seen many people doing it under their own names....?
Also..., if sometimes, I have forgotten my Gps, (having Dads one but not mine or other such Problems) I try to just get my Shoe/foot in the pic, is that still ok?
I do that with Survey mark pics too sometimes. (then go back later forgetting my Camera for a proper shot but WITH my gps...grrr)

Dad & I discovered 2 more Trig points in Tazzie that surprisingly no-one else had found.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 26 March 11 10:19 am

When I add a new trig my name comes up as the owner so I then edit it to show GCA as the owner. I always log it as a find so it is obvious who actually listed it.

I'd have problems physically getting my foot or shoe into the picture so I'd just go for my hand instead........ :wink:

pjmpjm

Trigpoint Photos with Fingerprints

Post by pjmpjm » 26 March 11 5:19 pm

oz lurker wrote:My problem with the photo reqs is that I use my oregon 550 for the camera - so guess who isn't going to be in the shot and neither is my GPS!!! However, I try to leave the exif info intact (except that if I'm posting piccies in logs for puzzle or multi caches etc as well, I occasionally batch strip the exif info from all the photo's of the day forgetting I have trigs in there as well - doh!) - which I am hoping satisfies most requirements. If possible, I do attempt to have my shadow in the shot as well, but that doesn't always work.
I've often wondered what I would do if I spotted a trig when travelling without my GPSr. (Although in fact I always have at least one GPSr with me when I travel.)

My idea is to hold my hand to the side of the photo, showing my fingerprints!

This sounds rather silly, now that I write it on the Forum, but I had thought it might be sufficient proof that 'pjmpjm was there' for the trig log!
Last edited by pjmpjm on 26 March 11 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pjmpjm

Who Owns the Trig?

Post by pjmpjm » 26 March 11 5:23 pm

MtnLioness wrote:I have a few points/questions Are we or are we not supposed to, upon finding new trig, name it for a new listing under Geocaching Australia cos I have seen many people doing it under their own names....? Also..., if sometimes, I have forgotten my Gps, (having Dads one but not mine or other such Problems) I try to just get my Shoe/foot in the pic, is that still ok? I do that with Survey mark pics too sometimes. (then go back later forgetting my Camera for a proper shot but WITH my gps...grrr)
Dad & I discovered 2 more Trig points in Tazzie that surprisingly no-one else had found.
When I first started finding 'new' trigs and publishing them, I found that rogerw3 always publishes them under the GCA banner, and so I've done the same thing.

Sounds like a good idea and tends to mean that 'GCA' is always very high on the 'hiders' stats listing!

I believe that there are a great many trigs out there -- some not so remote at all -- that still haven't been published here at GCA.

As for logging a trig without a GPSr handy, I guess you also had my same idea about simply holding up your hand at the side of the photo . . .

(Sure would be easier than holding up your foot!)

pjmpjm

Body Parts and Trig Photos

Post by pjmpjm » 26 March 11 5:25 pm

Tuena wrote:When I add a new trig my name comes up as the owner so I then edit it to show GCA as the owner. I always log it as a find so it is obvious who actually listed it. I'd have problems physically getting my foot or shoe into the picture so I'd just go for my hand instead........ :wink:
Perhaps we could be awarded an extra smilie for the trig if we managed to get our backsides in the photo . . .

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Re: Body Parts and Trig Photos

Post by blossom* » 26 March 11 7:46 pm

pjmpjm wrote:
Tuena wrote:When I add a new trig my name comes up as the owner so I then edit it to show GCA as the owner. I always log it as a find so it is obvious who actually listed it. I'd have problems physically getting my foot or shoe into the picture so I'd just go for my hand instead........ :wink:
Perhaps we could be awarded an extra smilie for the trig if we managed to get our backsides in the photo . . .
I always think my handbag is a pretty good identifying proof that I was there! 8)