Trig points - a general discussion

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
pjw

Re: Trig points - a general discussion

Post by pjw » 28 April 11 9:42 pm

Tankengine wrote:OK, so there have been a number of ideas tossed around as to what does, and does not constitute a trig… But no definitive criteria… So maybe some criteria can be set?

Now, I’m by no means an authority on trigs (although I have found about 70, of which I have originally published around 20), so here are my thoughts… Maybe this list can be amended as required?

What should be considered a trig:
1. Trigs must be listed as a proper trig in a government website.
2. ADDITIONALLY – at GZ there must be either:
- a recognisable trig at that location, be it a quad beacon, rock pile, trig pole, steeple etc, or
- significant/recognisable remains of what is listed above. (ie bent poles, concrete platform showing where a quad beacon was once attached, rock pile without the marker pole, etc

Additionally:
What should NOT be considered a trig:
Even if listed as a proper trig on a government website (Those sites contain known errors – they even admit it), the following should NOT be accepted:
1. A lone bolt or unnamed stub,
2. A yellow (or other colour) survey pole (even if accompanied by a stub),

What I am in two minds about, as to whether it should be allowed:
- A bronze stub accompanied by a plate showing the name of the trig? (Any suggestions)

Following an email I sent to the ACT Planning and Land Authority concerning their on-line reporting form not working, and a query re the validity of the 'Gungahlin' Trig I received the following reply:

"Thankyou for your feedback on the problems with the Survey Mark Status Form. I will arrange to have the form fixed. We are keen to hear from members of the public on the status of any trigs, etc that have been found, so in the interim, you can email me directly with the details of any survey marks that require maintenance if you wish.

Gungahlin Trig is indeed a trig station. It appears in the publication titled “Trigonometrical Survey of New South Wales, Register of Stations” that was published by the NSW Department of Lands in 1895. The ground mark is of vital importance to surveyors and it is part of the major survey control network in the ACT. Originally, a pole and stone cairn was erected over the ground mark. Examples of this type of beacon are Palmer, Gudgenby and McDonald trigs. While looking impressive, the problem with a pole and cairn is that it is difficult and time consuming if a surveyor needs to access the ground mark.

As Canberra was established, new trigs were placed and many of the existing cairns were dismantled. Some of them had “second class beacons” erected over the ground mark. Surviving examples of these are Pialligo, Duntroon and Bulls Head trigs. Other trigs had “first class beacons” erected over the mark, however I believe the only surviving first class beacon is at Poppet Trig.

As development proceeded in the 1960s and 1970s, the first and second class beacons were replaced by steel quadrapods. If you visit Franklin or Stranger trigs fro example, the nearby pile of rocks is the result of the original cairn being dismantled. McDonald is a bit different, as the original McDonald Trig rock cairn is still there, and a nearby eccentric survey mark known as “McDonald Ecce” was constructed with a quadrapod over the new ground mark.

Some trigs, such as Gungahlin and Weetangera trigs, had their cairn and/or beacon removed but a newer quadrapod was never erected. These marks often have some concrete witness posts protecting the ground mark.

Then there are the NSW (eg: Bald Trig) and Natmap trigs (eg: NM/C/106), which are concrete pillars…" (End Quote)

Not only is it now beyond doubt that the Gungahlin Trig IS a Trig, the really funny bit is the argument against me listing the stone cairn at 'McDonald' because it would appear the stone cairn is THE McDonald Trig and the quadripod previously referred to as the McDonald trig by my detractors is an 'eccenctric survey mark'. Bahahahaha!!!! Moral of the story: If you're going to bag what others are doing, do your homework!!!

Now that I've nearly stopped laughing, I'd certainly encourage trig-gers to utilise the on-line form on the ACTPLA website (once it's fixed) to help them update their records as they have confirmed they would like the public to do so. There is also a similar form on the NSW Lands Department website so I'd encourage everyone to do likewise there as well. The GC community could become the saviour of the Trigs!!!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 April 11 11:02 pm

pjw wrote:The GC[A] community could become the saviour of the Trigs!!!
\:D/
Now that would be something nice to offer back to the various state and territory governments.

Kerry

Post by Kerry » 29 April 11 7:53 am

Not only is it now beyond doubt that the Gungahlin Trig IS a Trig, the really funny bit is the argument against me listing the stone cairn at 'McDonald' because it would appear the stone cairn is THE McDonald Trig and the quadripod previously referred to as the McDonald trig by my detractors is an 'eccenctric survey mark'.
Exactly and this has been raised and mentioned before in this post re ecce's etc. Maybe there is still some misunderstanding of exactly what constitutes a Trig station?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 29 April 11 10:25 am

Generic and standard Caches pages are for everything.
If you want something more specific to your needs, set up a My Query, EXCLUDE TrigPoints and run the output to the screen.
Tada.

canary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by canary » 29 April 11 9:31 pm

pjmpjm wrote:One idea might be -- if we think a particular trig ought to be archived, then we canvas the opinion of other trig enthusiasts via this Forum. If done in a friendly and polite way, this approach might avoid problems.
So how about these:

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp5724
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp5725
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp5723

I will archive the first two tomorrow unless someome disagrees.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 29 April 11 10:11 pm

I'd give the bullet to all three. The cement slab reminds me of the base of an old incinerator I had in the backyard. It should at least look like a trig or there should be the remains of a trig close by or the metal plug business or even a SSM near the base perhaps. Something.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

To Archive or Not To Archive

Post by pjmpjm » 29 April 11 10:37 pm

canary wrote:
So how about these:

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp5724
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp5725
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp5723

I will archive the first two tomorrow unless someome disagrees.
I've left my comments in notes for each one.

pjw

Post by pjw » 02 May 11 8:57 am

I'd certainly encourage trig DNF's to be reported to the relevant state body as the research I've done would suggest they're more interested in the trigs we can't find than the ones we can as I believe there is a genuine need and intent on their behalf to maintain them. I've briefly perused some directives from the Surveyor General to that effect.

pjmpjm

Trig DNFs

Post by pjmpjm » 02 May 11 2:10 pm

pjw wrote:I'd certainly encourage trig DNFs to be reported to the relevant state body as the research I've done would suggest they're more interested in the trigs we can't find than the ones we can as I believe there is a genuine need and intent on their behalf to maintain them. I've briefly perused some directives from the Surveyor General to that effect.
So far, rogerw3 and I have been able to find physical evidence of the newly 're-discovered' trigs -- some in quite good shape, actually -- but there are many, many more to track down.

So-called 'Sunset' near Wentworth Falls (Blue Mountains) was an exception to this rule. There was nothing to be seen far, far down into the cliff-face bushes.

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that government instrumentalities are still interested in trigs, even to the extent of maintaining them. I'd got the idea that trigs were all completely obsolete and were being left to . . . well, decay in place.

Thanks for the feedback.

pjmpjm

Setting Up Queries -- Separate Trigs & Traditionals

Post by pjmpjm » 02 May 11 2:28 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Generic and standard Caches pages are for everything. If you want something more specific to your needs, set up a My Query, EXCLUDE TrigPoints and run the output to the screen. Tada.
Once I finally learned how to do this, a few months ago, it solved all my problems.

Now I have separate queries for everything!

Extremely useful. Thanks again.

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by GammaPiSigma » 02 May 11 3:40 pm

I've archived TP5773 as it is inside the Holsworthy Military Base.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 03 May 11 7:12 pm

Wow a lot of discussion since I was last in here.

Yes it is a bit of a hazy area as to what is a trig and what isn't. The original download of data from Geoscience seems to have the seal of approval although some of these are now just survey marks.
I did find a couple of survey or permanent marker hatches which actually had the trig name inside them. Funnily enough they were the first two unlisted trigs we looked for having found them on old parish maps. We thought this was very exciting and wondered how many other must be out there. Since then we've looked at probably twenty or so sites which used to have trigs around our area of Sydney and have only found the odd survey mark or permanent marker hatch and none of them have had the name of the trig on them.

I think we've got a couple that are a bit on the dodgy side but I think if there's a physical trig there - at least the plinth in the case of the early 70s trigs, not just a base or a bolt then it's a trig. If there's a permanent marker there then I'm leaning towards it being a trig especially if it still appears on topo maps. At the weekend we found 'French' in Frenchs Forest which had been archived. We found a PM there and I unarchived it as it appears on the topo maps of the area. It's a bit of a grey one but I prefer this to things like radio masts which are considered trigs but have no real features. Some of the church spire ones are in the same class but they are quite interesting so I'm happy enough with those.

The best part is spotting them on the old maps and then trying to get coords and finding them. A huge buzz for us, better than geocaching. I can generally only work out coords to about 50 metres so there can be a bit of a search in the bush. Have been disappointed many times but the finds make it worth it. It's great to rediscover these lost places. Some of them haven't been visited for years. We had a 400 metre bushbash to find Ryland trig at the weekend. It was great to find the old cairn in the thick bush!

I'm amazed at how the original trig builders even got to the places they are. The stuff they had to haul in. Even the old stone ones were a lot of work. The stone appears to be shaped to large Besser brick sized blocks - that sort of thing isn't just lying around so they had to chip those out of the sandstone. Then there's the later versions with the concrete plinths and the vanes, did they carry all that in and build them on site? Would be a fascinating story to hear how they did it.

The geoboy has all but lost interest in finding dull Eclipse mint tins in dull places but I can get him out the door in seconds if there's a new trig to find!

pjmpjm

The Thrill of the Trig Hunt

Post by pjmpjm » 03 May 11 9:21 pm

Yurt wrote: A huge buzz for us, better than geocaching.
I know what you mean!

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 07 May 11 10:00 am

I found this a while back but forgot to post it. There used to be a GC Locationless for trigs by The 2 Dogs.
Plenty listed here (327) but only coords usually and no info. Still would be interesting to see how many aren't logged in the database.
#51 Great Southern Land: (5) That's the Trig
Archived now of course.