Launching Australia's "OZ MEGA ADVENTURE"

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Re: Launching Australia's "OZ MEGA ADVENTURE"

Post by andiamo » 17 December 10 10:49 pm

Given that NZ announced their intention to hold a mega event first, we will most likely support them - probably not possible to attend both within a short time of each other.

The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found

Post by The Coffee's » 18 December 10 12:40 am

As part of the committee I welcome your thoughts and you are welcome to ring me on 0401 496649 anytime (after morning coffee 10am and before bedtime coffee 11pm) to discuss your concerns.

I would like to address written comments from the other unnecessary tread as follows:

We decided after much discussion to make it different from Wagga Wagga and travelling around visiting some excellent locations that “if not for geocaching Mega I would never have visited” will be fun, exciting and completely different to any other previous event.
The competition is not compulsory but well worth entering and hopefully fun for all the family, and starting the competition by noon will not require anyone to having to rush.

If the attending numbers are not there by April 2011 we will have to make a final decision on the event, and between now and then we welcome ideas and suggestions but please offer an alternative solution to your posts.

Please have a look at the external links and see why this area deserves to be the host of the next Mega event.
Yes we could stay in one spot but this is designed to showcase spectacular locations and meeting other geocachers whilst stopping at cache locations is something we all do and log. Add the enjoyment of catching up later in the day to discuss the days adventures will make it just that bit extra special.

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 18 December 10 12:49 am

andiamo wrote:Given that NZ announced their intention to hold a mega event first, we will most likely support them - probably not possible to attend both within a short time of each other.
but have they secured a location, committee, sponsors and full details. I am not against anyone running any event but it seemed thereposts were general ideas of a potential event. It would be good to rotate between Aus and NZ. We are ready to go all ours require is the numbers. Maybe we all could get together and have a Asia Pacific ANZAC Mega geocaching conference event and aim for 50,000 people on an island somewhere

Tartansnake

Post by Tartansnake » 18 December 10 1:57 am

Look like it’ll be good although a bit disappointed it’s in the same state as this years.
Would be nice to see the mega event move around the country.

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by mtbikeroz » 18 December 10 6:02 am

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote:As part of the committee I welcome your thoughts and you are welcome to ring me on 0401 496649 anytime (after morning coffee 10am and before bedtime coffee 11pm) to discuss your concerns.

I would like to address written comments from the other unnecessary tread as follows:

We decided after much discussion to make it different from Wagga Wagga and travelling around visiting some excellent locations that “if not for geocaching Mega I would never have visited” will be fun, exciting and completely different to any other previous event.
The competition is not compulsory but well worth entering and hopefully fun for all the family, and starting the competition by noon will not require anyone to having to rush.

If the attending numbers are not there by April 2011 we will have to make a final decision on the event, and between now and then we welcome ideas and suggestions but please offer an alternative solution to your posts.

Please have a look at the external links and see why this area deserves to be the host of the next Mega event.
Yes we could stay in one spot but this is designed to showcase spectacular locations and meeting other geocachers whilst stopping at cache locations is something we all do and log. Add the enjoyment of catching up later in the day to discuss the days adventures will make it just that bit extra special.

Having been to all the locations proposed, and all inbetweeen, yes, great locations indeed, well worth the trip. (also, be prepared, it is not unknown for snow at Laurel Hill camp even in April, basically, it could be cold, so be prepared, but be prepared generally for nice days, cool nights)

Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 18 December 10 6:34 am

andiamo wrote:Given that NZ announced their intention to hold a mega event first, we will most likely support them - probably not possible to attend both within a short time of each other.

We agree, and if we have to decide which one to go to we will be off to NZ, even if they are a year apart we won't be able to afford to do both

oldfella
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 18 December 10 7:25 am

Congratulations on this idea. My personal thoughts are you held this too close to your chest for too long and even after NZ showed an interest there was still no hint that easter 2012 was essentially taken. My preference is for NZ as i have attended Australias firs MEGA and would love to atend NZ's first MEGA. Hopiong that it is still on. Even though easter 2012 is still a long way off my application for leave for 2012 is due in by 30/04/11 and I can not say I will not be attending the OZ EVENT but it will be a long drive for us to be away from home for just a week. I will give it to you that your plan was well executed but those who are on the planning committee were just doing what the committee for the first OZ Event must have done and that was to ask for numbers before they semi committed to sites etc.

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 18 December 10 7:56 am

oldfella wrote:.... but it will be a long drive for us to be away from home for just a week.
Hey oldfella, I had to smile when I read this concern of yours. I really don't think there's anything that says you have to drive straight there and back. :shock:

Surely you could make the mega a feature of an epic geocaching journey. Head off now and go the long way if you can afford the time. \:D/

I look forward to seeing you there and hearing how you went. :D

Fuddley
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 18 December 10 8:03 am

roundcircle wrote:
oldfella wrote:.... but it will be a long drive for us to be away from home for just a week.
Hey oldfella, I had to smile when I read this concern of yours. I really don't think there's anything that says you have to drive straight there and back. :shock:

Surely you could make the mega a feature of an epic geocaching journey. Head off now and go the long way if you can afford the time. \:D/

I look forward to seeing you there and hearing how you went. :D
I can't speak for the "Oldfella" but I know that he followed a similar path to us to the last Megga, and to take a different route this time to get to almost the same place would involve a true epic journey.

roundcircle

Post by roundcircle » 18 December 10 8:18 am

Hmm. I've miss read Oldfella. I thought you were saying the event was too short. :shock:

But now I see your saying it's too far away. :oops:

It was just meant to be a humorous observation.

joffa1970

Post by joffa1970 » 18 December 10 9:05 am

gazmag wrote:Well every one may voice their opinion....... but as for "cached" I wish to differ.

I'm sure there will be plenty of caches to be had and as for the $95.00, well it is too cheep when you consider all that is involved!!

Yes having to pull up stumps after two days may be a problem for some but I'm sure it will be we worth it, and for those having trouble, there will more than enough assistance if the last Mega Event is any indication.

Those traveling from afar know what's involved and I for one am happy to provide transport, as I am sure are many others.

Let's put our support behind the committee and make this a great event as was Wagga!!!!!!!

Any excuse to get out of Melbourne will do me. I missed the Wagga Wagga event and from the photos and talking to others, I am sorry that I did.
I have been on plenty large events and helped with them as well(BV rides, Rogaining, church camps with the family when I was younger etc) they are great and require plenty of organisation, Especially when it is done mostly by volunteers. My family and I support the efforts of all that are taking the time to get this event happening. A huge 'Well Done' so lets get behind these organisers and offer assistance to them where needed.
Does it matter that it is close to the first event? They are taking the time to run this, they choose.

I support NZ if they are planning one as well. My family is thinking of going to Perth in the next year or so for a holiday, maybe a trip to NZ would be better (and probably cheaper).

As gazmag noted 'only $95', that is affordable and well worth a GREAT weekend away.

To the organisers, just ask for assistance and I am sure that the 'greater geocaching community' will get the job done.
There must be every trade, profession, skill set out there. My hand is up if you need help.

red tag
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by red tag » 18 December 10 12:21 pm

Loved Wagga last year \:D/
If it turns out that the NZ event coincides with the Aussie one then I'm afraid I will heading across the Pacific.
BUT if they don't clash then I will be at Gundagai and Tumbarumba with bells on :D
I will be traveling from Tas and it will be just the me

Datruk

Post by Datruk » 18 December 10 12:24 pm

All things considered if I had to choose I would be going to the NZ event as I have travelled the area of the Oz event many times and this would be my first trip to NZ.
However this is not set in stone.
If the NZ event is in October then I would be gladly attending both.

Calypso62

Post by Calypso62 » 18 December 10 12:28 pm

I would love to travel to both the Australian and New Zealand events so hopefully the two committees can sort this out. As for the Oz one, put me down for 2 adults. I'll be coming from Sydney.

The concept of the event sounds a hoot..... can't wait. =D> \:D/ =D>

honeysucker
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by honeysucker » 18 December 10 12:55 pm

Heres a thought that i had, How would the possibilities instead of a country music night but a a Cabaret night with a dinner and social night a DJ person playing a range of music as background music (not so loud that people cant talk) this way everyone can mingle and join in on a large event as i think you indicated the large Marque maybe in place.

This event sounds fantastic the move sound exciting to change locations is a great concept as we all do this on most of our caching travelling events (and before the critics get in i have been camping for 40 odd years and i have a 18yr old who has gone everywhere with us in tents and in a van)