Cemetery Caching ?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Re: Cemetery Caching ?

Post by fluffyfish » 05 December 10 8:13 pm

I've done cemetery caching in Wisconsin and put a couple in the Wollongong area. As I read in the USA caches is to alert cachers that the cache is not in a grave and you don't need to interfere with any part of the cemetery. That being said there are still heaps of places to hide them and it is good to bring people to these places IMHO.

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 09 December 10 12:38 am

Apart from the fact that they're currently grandfathered, virtual caches seem to be a reasonable compromise in that you can take people to the place you want them to see without potientially disrespectful hides, or people scrambling around on graves searching. I did a virtual in a cemetry in New Orleans (GCGFHX) a few weeks ago while there for a conference. I had an interesting walk around after grabbing the required info.

I guess some folks probably don't regard Virtuals as genuine caching experiences, but they took me to some places in New Orleans I never would have gone otherwise and taught me a heap of interesting history of the place, which for me is a big part of what it's all about.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 09 December 10 12:43 am

juc_cacher wrote:Apart from the fact that they're currently grandfathered, virtual caches seem to be a reasonable compromise in that you can take people to the place you want them to see without potientially disrespectful hides, or people scrambling around on graves searching. I did a virtual in a cemetry in New Orleans (GCGFHX) a few weeks ago while there for a conference. I had an interesting walk around after grabbing the required info.

I guess some folks probably don't regard Virtuals as genuine caching experiences, but they took me to some places in New Orleans I never would have gone otherwise and taught me a heap of interesting history of the place, which for me is a big part of what it's all about.
They arnt Grandfathered here! \:D/

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 09 December 10 12:55 am

Zalgariath wrote:
juc_cacher wrote:Apart from the fact that they're currently grandfathered, virtual caches seem to be a reasonable compromise in that you can take people to the place you want them to see without potientially disrespectful hides, or people scrambling around on graves searching. I did a virtual in a cemetry in New Orleans (GCGFHX) a few weeks ago while there for a conference. I had an interesting walk around after grabbing the required info.

They arnt Grandfathered here! \:D/
Ah...now that I didn't know ! :lol: Interesting.....

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 09 December 10 1:31 am

juc_cacher wrote:Ah...now that I didn't know ! :lol: Interesting.....
GCA has a lot of different cache types GC.com doesnt... its one of the best things about being here! Check out the Wiki for more but really take a look at Moveables... particularly the GeGnome Project...

SORRY! Back on topic...hiding Gnomes in Grave Yards... :twisted:

bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 09 December 10 7:01 am

I really enjoyed this one and so did the 5 muggles I was travelling with at the time.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt=

aussiepuschaks

Post by aussiepuschaks » 09 December 10 1:23 pm

And the symbol for a virtual cache is of course, quite relevant to a cemetery. I agree with the historic nature of cemetery caches and have wandered many to pick up clues for multis, where the container is just outside or in a non burial area. Cemetery caches are some of my favorites due to the historic content.