GeGnome Project - Photos and fun

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Re: GeGnome Project -- Gnomes Needed in Clwydd

Post by pjmpjm » 04 August 11 1:23 am

rogerw3 wrote::gnome :cry: I feel very neglected since all the Gnomes have left Clwydd with only poor little 'SYNAMG' left in hospital and he will soon be well enough to leave. What will we do? :gnomette :(
Hmmmm. The old 'empty nest' syndrome. Very understandable. :-k

I think the local Sydney gnome aficionados should start depositing surplus gnomes at Clwydd -- or at least around Lithgow!

Wouldn't you be surprised to wake up one morning and find a congregation on your doorstep?

But I guess it's a long drive . . .

Yet you never know . . .

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found

Re: GeGnome Project -- Gnomes Needed in Clwydd

Post by SamCarter » 04 August 11 10:10 am

pjmpjm wrote:
rogerw3 wrote::gnome :cry: I feel very neglected since all the Gnomes have left Clwydd with only poor little 'SYNAMG' left in hospital and he will soon be well enough to leave. What will we do? :gnomette :(
Hmmmm. The old 'empty nest' syndrome. Very understandable. :-k

I think the local Sydney gnome aficionados should start depositing surplus gnomes at Clwydd -- or at least around Lithgow!
Good grief. There REALLY IS a place called Clwydd. I thought it was a made up gnomey place. All the other states are totally Clwyddless. Even Wales itself is totally Clwyddless (although it does have a Clwyd county, which is clearly only half the place Clwydd is, despite the fact that the Welsh Clwyd contains the wonderfully named town of Yr Wyddgrug otherwise known as Mold)

pjmpjm

Re: GeGnome Project -- Pronounciation Needed in Clwydd

Post by pjmpjm » 05 August 11 2:23 am

SamCarter wrote: Good grief. There REALLY IS a place called Clwydd. I thought it was a made up gnomey place. All the other states are totally Clwyddless. Even Wales itself is totally Clwyddless (although it does have a Clwyd county, which is clearly only half the place Clwydd is, despite the fact that the Welsh Clwyd contains the wonderfully named town of Yr Wyddgrug otherwise known as Mold)
This could bring us back again to the excellent topic of 'how to pronounce Clwydd.' Always lots of fun.

(Remember that the second 'D' is always silent, hence the spelling in Wales. And we always roll our Ws.)

SamCarter

Re: GeGnome Project -- Pronounciation Needed in Clwydd

Post by SamCarter » 05 August 11 10:47 am

pjmpjm wrote:
SamCarter wrote: Good grief. There REALLY IS a place called Clwydd. I thought it was a made up gnomey place. All the other states are totally Clwyddless. Even Wales itself is totally Clwyddless (although it does have a Clwyd county, which is clearly only half the place Clwydd is, despite the fact that the Welsh Clwyd contains the wonderfully named town of Yr Wyddgrug otherwise known as Mold)
This could bring us back again to the excellent topic of 'how to pronounce Clwydd.' Always lots of fun.

(Remember that the second 'D' is always silent, hence the spelling in Wales. And we always roll our Ws.)
But do the Clwyddians pronounce it as the Welsh would? I thought the w was an "oo" as in good (the glacial term "cwm", so useful for Scrabble, is Welsh), so I'm not entirely sure how to "roll" that! The y is more a short i. This is confirmed by Wikipedia, which gives the pronunication of Clwyd (one d) in Wales as -- very roughly, based on my interpretation of the phonetics -- "klooid" (rhyming with "fluid").

The double d is where we might run into difficulties. In Welsh, the double d is essentially "th" (meaning the second "d" would NOT be silent, but that the double letter is a single consonant). For example, the mountain known to the English as Snowdon is Yr Wyddfa ("ihr withva", roughly). So the Welsh would, I guess, pronounce Clwydd as "klooith".

Wikipedia lets me down completely on the Australian pronunciation of Clwydd (and even fails to give ANY information about such a gnome haven (trying to get back on topic, sort of!)).

So, how DO the Clwyddians pronounce Clwydd?

NB Please take my explanations of Welsh with several large grains of salt. I am not a native speaker; I barely know any words; the only thing I can claim is that my grandfather was a Morgan (and this makes no useful contribution to this particular situation anyway!). I travelled around Wales for a week 20 years ago, and was proud of being able to say the "ll" sound ... until I got on a bus and attempted show off. I asked to go to Llandudno, which I pronounced "LlandUdno" (nice gutteral Ll (sort of a khl without much k, and a short u as in up), and the driver looked at me in disdain [-( and said "Llandoodno". Not the remotest hint of a compliment for my awesomely impressive Ll; mountains of manure cast upon me with a look just for messing up the vowel. ] :-#

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: GeGnome Project - Photos and fun

Post by rogerw3 » 05 August 11 11:14 am

:gnome :lol:

In the end, this discussion is moot as the only thing that matters is how do the Gnomes pronounce it, and on that they are strangely quiet. It would seem that there is a deep meaning in keeping this a secret. Gnomes as we all know are a very private bunch and not prone to divulge secrets to non Gnomes such as we mere Humans.

So we will have to content ourselves (we Humans) in guessing and suffer the withering looks of contempts the Gnomes will give us as we attempt to say the magic word Clwydd.

I always thought it was pronounced 'Klooith" but all the locals just say 'Clyde" to the enormous amusement of all the gnomes present. I have a suspicion that "Clyde" means something rude in Gnomish.

:gnome :lol:

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 05 August 11 11:35 am

I pronounce it as "clyde" as well.
Mainly because i used to have a cat called clyde.
Now that's just got me thinking. My name IS welsh, therefore, i should of totally called my cat "Clwydd"
...yeah nah. :)

Renroc
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Renroc » 05 August 11 11:17 pm

Hello fellow gnome nappers and friends.
My poor little Jiggly Jones has been at his current location S36° 49.917' E143° 53.240' for far too long. If he doesn't move soon he will no longer be able to jiggle. He is near Laancorie not too far from Bendigo. I would love it if someone could go and find him and move him somewhere north please.

pjmpjm

Re: GeGnome Project - Fun with Clwydd

Post by pjmpjm » 06 August 11 8:26 pm

bubbles_baby123 wrote:I pronounce it as "clyde" as well. Mainly because i used to have a cat called clyde. Now that's just got me thinking. My name IS welsh, therefore, i should of totally called my cat "Clwydd" ...yeah nah. :)
I won't attempt to put into words just how I've heard the gnomes pronounce this famous name . . .

You really have to hear it for yourself. But imagine a native frog with a very bad case of laryngitis . . . :^o

Like rogerw3, I suspect that the word has double or triple meanings . . . :-k

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 07 August 11 4:45 pm

Pity this one wasn't used in the race.

Or this one:

The things you find on Amazon...

SamWalkers
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by SamWalkers » 10 August 11 3:35 pm

Yurt wrote:Pity this one wasn't used in the race.
Gnome Planking!
It is dangerous and should be discouraged. [-X

Bronnie_1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 10 August 11 4:20 pm

SamWalkers wrote: Gnome Planking!
It is dangerous and should be discouraged. [-X
I wish i read this earlier.
GeoPirate's been at it again.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

#-o

pjmpjm

Re: GeGnome Project - Photos and Dozing Gnomes

Post by pjmpjm » 10 August 11 5:35 pm

bubbles_baby123 wrote: I wish i read this earlier. GeoPirate's been at it again.-o
Are you sure he's not just having a good old doze? :D :gnome :gnomette

(Great photos.)

Bronnie_1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 18 August 11 8:18 pm

Is it wrong or sad that i'm making new stay-at-home versions of GeoLady and GeoScout?? To whomever's got them, please dont let them know. I imagine if they ever turn up home, and find these bigger versions of themself in my front lawn, they'd be a little upset.

(pics coming eventually)

pjmpjm

Re: GeGnome Project -- Bigger and Better Home Gnomes

Post by pjmpjm » 18 August 11 11:50 pm

bubbles_baby123 wrote:Is it wrong or sad that i'm making new stay-at-home versions of GeoLady and GeoScout?? To whomever's got them, please dont let them know. I imagine if they ever turn up home, and find these bigger versions of themself in my front lawn, they'd be a little upset. (pics coming eventually)
Looking forward to those pics. Neither wrong nor sad, but suitably obsessive. :gnomette :gnome

pjmpjm

Re: GeGnome Project - Photo from Blue Mountains

Post by pjmpjm » 26 August 11 1:43 pm