Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16302
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by caughtatwork » 16 November 10 10:14 pm

If you go hide one, I'll make it a cache type at GCA.
Let me know before hand though (oh and make me an icon :-))

User avatar
Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found
Posts: 3087
Joined: 24 March 04 4:32 pm
Location: Launceston, Tasmania
Contact:

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by Cached » 16 November 10 11:02 pm

In truth, the dead drop could be the log book...

User avatar
BigON
1200 or more Caches found
1200 or more Caches found
Posts: 217
Joined: 08 August 05 1:12 am
Location: Gilmore ACT

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by BigON » 16 November 10 11:04 pm

Strange timing as I was only just looking at this one last night.
http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Dead-Drops/

User avatar
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found
Posts: 1749
Joined: 17 August 09 10:44 am
Location: Sydney, NSW

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by Zalgariath » 16 November 10 11:24 pm

caughtatwork wrote:If you go hide one, I'll make it a cache type at GCA.
Let me know before hand though (oh and make me an icon :-))
How about Image or Image ? :D

Damo.
Posts: 2183
Joined: 04 April 04 5:01 pm
Location: Jannali

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by Damo. » 17 November 10 12:58 am

Cached wrote:In truth, the dead drop could be the log book...

Not if it was read-only I wouldn't think. :-k

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Posts: 591
Joined: 24 January 10 3:08 pm
Twitter: derfuzzel
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Contact:

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by Philipp » 17 November 10 6:37 am

Cached wrote:In truth, the dead drop could be the log book...
only on GCA - on geocaching.com these are not allowed. You need a "real" logbook.

User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16302
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by caughtatwork » 17 November 10 7:59 am

Well we are on the GCA site, so I suppose that Cached meant here. The opencaching group have deadrop caches too. Whether they are used as redirectors I'm not sure.

In terms of needing to write to the device, at GCA, you could set them up with a codeword on the device which you then use to log the cache as proof of your visit at the GCA site.

User avatar
Trigg-A-Nomics
Posts: 260
Joined: 18 March 10 10:25 pm
Location: Adelaide SA

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 17 November 10 1:48 pm

caughtatwork wrote:In terms of needing to write to the device, at GCA, you could set them up with a codeword on the device which you then use to log the cache as proof of your visit at the GCA site.
Aha, the infamous 'codeword' cache! Good idea. :-$

I still haven't seen any simple ways to make the dead drop read-only, other than Philipp's idea of a write protected SD card into a USB SD card reader.

Here's one for $6.95, all ready to go!
http://www.oo.com.au/Vodafone_SD_Memory ... 3C1447.cfm

User avatar
Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
Posts: 2573
Joined: 03 April 03 12:28 am
Location: Kalamunda, WA
Contact:

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 17 November 10 4:13 pm

Trigg-A-Nomics wrote:I still haven't seen any simple ways to make the dead drop read-only, other than Philipp's idea of a write protected SD card into a USB SD card reader.
Here's one for $6.95, all ready to go!
http://www.oo.com.au/Vodafone_SD_Memory ... 3C1447.cfm
All you'd have to do is glue the write protect slider in position.

This concept has gone into my "Spy-theme cache" ideas folder, which is starting to look like it might have to be split into two or three sub-caches!

User avatar
calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found
Posts: 591
Joined: 29 October 06 2:51 pm
Location: Kidman Park

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by calumphing_four » 17 November 10 5:32 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
Trigg-A-Nomics wrote:I still haven't seen any simple ways to make the dead drop read-only, other than Philipp's idea of a write protected SD card into a USB SD card reader.
Here's one for $6.95, all ready to go!
http://www.oo.com.au/Vodafone_SD_Memory ... 3C1447.cfm
All you'd have to do is glue the write protect slider in position.

This concept has gone into my "Spy-theme cache" ideas folder, which is starting to look like it might have to be split into two or three sub-caches!
Is write protecting SDs, opposite to how floppy's (and :stabby cassettes) worked?
I remember for floppys you could remove the slider and it became read-only (i.e no need to glue), as the slider was required to seal the hole that made them writeable.
Hmmm - a floppy as the dead-drop :twisted: I guess that would make it a 5 star cache :)

Cheers 8)

User avatar
Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found
Posts: 961
Joined: 19 May 04 12:08 am
Location: Adelaide, Newton

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by Zytheran » 17 November 10 5:50 pm

Trigg-A-Nomics wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:In terms of needing to write to the device, at GCA, you could set them up with a codeword on the device which you then use to log the cache as proof of your visit at the GCA site.
Aha, the infamous 'codeword' cache! Good idea. :-$

I still haven't seen any simple ways to make the dead drop read-only, other than Philipp's idea of a write protected SD card into a USB SD card reader.

Here's one for $6.95, all ready to go!
http://www.oo.com.au/Vodafone_SD_Memory ... 3C1447.cfm
There appears to be some software methods of write protecting the USB's but I don't know how secure they would be. Probably OK for the casual user but no issue for anyone with old school DOS skills.

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Posts: 591
Joined: 24 January 10 3:08 pm
Twitter: derfuzzel
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Contact:

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by Philipp » 17 November 10 5:56 pm

calumphing_four wrote:Is write protecting SDs, opposite to how floppy's (and :stabby cassettes) worked?
I remember for floppys you could remove the slider and it became read-only (i.e no need to glue), as the slider was required to seal the hole that made them writeable.
The position of the slider is "read" by the device and then tells it's on read only. If the device decides "I don't care about read-only" you can actually write on a SD card WITH write-protection switched on.
The chdk firmware for Canon cameras does that e.g.

cheers

User avatar
Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Posts: 2782
Joined: 22 May 05 11:59 am
Location: Bathurst

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by Mr Router » 17 November 10 6:34 pm


Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Posts: 591
Joined: 24 January 10 3:08 pm
Twitter: derfuzzel
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Contact:

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by Philipp » 17 November 10 9:08 pm

Note: This utility will not write any files to your flash drive, it just makes sure your flash drive is write protected in this computer only. So, when you plug the flash drive into another PC, your flash drive may still infacted by viruses. So, the best way to protect your flash drive is to install this application to all computers that you may use.
Not the best English but you get the idea >> not working for a dead-drop

User avatar
Trigg-A-Nomics
Posts: 260
Joined: 18 March 10 10:25 pm
Location: Adelaide SA

Re: Deaddrops (USB). An interesting caching idea.

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 18 November 10 10:10 am

Philipp wrote:The position of the slider is "read" by the device and then tells it's on read only. If the device decides "I don't care about read-only" you can actually write on a SD card WITH write-protection switched on.
Grrrr! What's the point of having an ignorable read-only switch? This confirms what you've said:
http://www.fencepost.net/2010/03/usb-fl ... rotection/

So, back to square one. Would it be possible to hardware hack cheap USB stick to make it write-protected?

Post Reply