Open Caching

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Re: Open Caching

Post by bshwckr » 12 November 10 8:11 pm

[quote=

(I'm not an advocate for all-caches-on-one-site even if it was this one).[/quote]

hmmm I have an idea! Geogle (court case pending)

bshwckr
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 12 November 10 8:19 pm

bshwckr wrote:
(I'm not an advocate for all-caches-on-one-site even if it was this one).[/quote wrote:
hmmm I have an idea! Geogle (court case pending)
Damn. Just checked the domain registration. Too late!!!!

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 12 November 10 11:02 pm

I do like having all caches on one site and adhering to the same set of standards and requirements.
It's good just having one place to check and having all your stats consistent and in one place.
A group of us discussed this at an ad hoc "event" at a FTF fest a few months ago, and most of those there didn't bother about GCA caches for this reason.
If a third site comes into play as well, it will get even messier than it is now.
It reminds me of the old days at Mt Buller with the Orange Lift company and the Blue Lift company.
Combining them made a monopoly but really opened up the mountain to everybody.
Don't even get me started on the Beasley plan leading to the Optus and Telstra dual cable roll-out debacle.
Of course we're just talking about a game/activity/pastime here and there are much more important areas to worry about the applicability of free speech and open markets etc.,
but to me, this is just going to make a simple and fun thing more complicated.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 13 November 10 3:08 pm

Yeah I wouldnt be a fan of another commercial Listing Site in Oz... GC is great for the Numbers and GCA for the variety and community it provides. They work together because they are different in what they provide. A third player would have to have something much better then a "Chirp" to possibly justify existing on a commercial scale.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 November 10 11:49 am

http://www.opencaching.com/
As free and open as
the great outdoors...
Wonder what they're reading to update the front page with this sentiment?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 14 November 10 12:01 pm

I like the slogan, we should appropriate it :lol:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 14 November 10 3:04 pm

http://www.geocaching-dessau.de/wp/?p=558 (in german)

Seems it was open to logins a short while back.

Finders are able to rate terrain/difficulty for themselves, plus a few other ratings.

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 14 November 10 3:24 pm

Courtesy of Google Translate

German to English translation
[Update!] Great excitement in the German and international geocaching blog scene. For a few hours, on Monday evening from about 20 GMT Clock Garmin's new platform http://www.opencaching.com online. Shortly after 23 clock then the nightmare was over and the page no longer accessible. What could be seen in the short time seemed all right, it was already cached registrations and publications possible and the basic functions already seemed to be working perfectly. The import of their own discoveries and their own caches as GPX files was already possible.

The fast shutdown of the site suggests that there is someone with the release of a little action premature. However, it is assumed that the page will be available again soon. Then surely accompanied by a large media contingent and promotional activities.

Long-term caches may recall that once belonged to the domain http://www.opencaching.com Opencaching project. She was even the first domain of the project. After various disputes and lack of tangible results, the interest dwindled to an alternative platform, thus leaving the domain owner contract - intentionally or unintentionally - coast again. 2004, then fell to a domain domaingrabbers the chance and use the secure domain. It should be by September 2010 show the domain to take a new owner could. Garmin acquired the domain for an undisclosed amount. The last known desired retail price of the former owner but was $ 10,000.

The Garmin plans to pursue its own platform, has been speculated in various circles for months. A few weeks ago I heard this "rumor" for the first time, though, we could muster little tangible information.

Start the Garmin would be a platform, but is ultimately less surprising than it seems at first glance. Already after the Wherigo-flop and Ground peaks shift to the recommendation of other GPSr had the suspicion that might be the relationship between Garmin and Groundspeak not the very best. Thus, prior to 4 weeks from the Garmin GPS "GPS Devices Featured" area located on geocaching.com. At least since the removal of Groundspeak logos from Garmin devices (with the publication of the last firmware update) and the purchase of the domain opencaching.com should all signs point to confrontation.
From Google Translate:
Groundspeak for the situation but it could be far more precarious than for Garmin. We can not afford Garmin and Garmin users to 'interfere' in any way - Garmin, however - as the market leader in mobile GPS devices - has sufficient market power and sufficient budget to press their own platform in the market " . 'This is certainly the biggest difference between Opencaching.com and free projects like Opencaching.de (and the other country pages).
Whether it be enough to eventually peak at Ground depends on market position significantly from scratch, not least of which sums Garmin is willing to invest. Also how to user requests received will not be undecidable.

Ultimately, one can see the positives of a strong new competitor - the diversification may also have negative effects, at the latest when more and more caches will debut exclusively on one platform.

Let us hope and surprise that in the course of today provide further information.

Another little oddity on the side: Apparently prepared Garmin previously thought to be the launch before a competing site. Already in the press release for the GARMIN GPS Festival 2009 will be promoted a year later bought their own page.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 14 November 10 3:40 pm

I'll wait and see what evolves, but my gut feeling is this'll impact GCA more than it will impact GC.

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 14 November 10 4:05 pm

CraigRat wrote:I'll wait and see what evolves, but my gut feeling is this'll impact GCA more than it will impact GC.
In what way?

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 14 November 10 4:09 pm

Cached wrote:
CraigRat wrote:I'll wait and see what evolves, but my gut feeling is this'll impact GCA more than it will impact GC.
In what way?
very obvious really :-#

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 15 November 10 7:36 am

I'm guess Garmin whats some control over this game in order to better market there H/W, probably for the worse ,eg quantity over quality or perhaps have some ALR for Garmin devices.
Or perhaps just simple 'world dominance', either way they would need to successfully engage joe public..
or if your less cynically mided, perhaps they are just sponsoring another site?

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 15 November 10 10:42 am

gmj3191 wrote:I do like having all caches on one site and adhering to the same set of standards and requirements.
It's good just having one place to check and having all your stats consistent and in one place.
A group of us discussed this at an ad hoc "event" at a FTF fest a few months ago, and most of those there didn't bother about GCA caches for this reason.
My reasons for not having ever attempted a GCA cache (there is one 30m from my office) boil down to these exact reasons too.

Cached

Post by Cached » 15 November 10 1:27 pm

That's why I like GCA. All my stats, in one place, regardless of "where" I cache.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 November 10 1:35 pm

Let's keep on topic, which is opencaching.com, not the differences between GC and GCA, thanks.