When is a cache "buried"

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: When is a cache "buried"

Post by Richary » 29 October 10 9:02 pm

Philipp wrote:Example for need maintenance: A fake sprinkler-head in a public park
That's not against the guidelines as nobody has dug a hole, just pushed the bottom of something into the soil. Which is surely less intrusive than moving a pile of rocks to cover something. As for real sprinklers being destroyed, it has always been pretty obvious to me from a light tug that no - that's a real one. The fakes move easier.

grahamf72
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by grahamf72 » 29 October 10 9:27 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Let's not go getting too precious on a few cache areas that get some foot stomping, some logs overturned or the grasses bent to find a cache, mkay? Australia is a pretty resilient place and will recover despite what man does to it.
Couldn't agree more. While I don't condone wanton destruction, and agree with the principles of "tread lightly", the little bit of damage done by cachers, bushwalkers, mountain-bike riders, even 4WDers, is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I've seen caches where people have complained about a 10m "geotrail" that has formed in the scrub. Meanwhile, not far away will be a mosaic of kangaroo pads that are hundreds of metres long, where the ground cover has been totally obliterated.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 29 October 10 9:29 pm

C@W said it all a couple of posts back !! this is my version !! FFS quit the whinging, go do some caching and not be sit at home being keyboard hero's with nothing else to think about !!!!!! as this crap is quickly becoming quiet bloody boring !!!!!!! in other short words "get a bloody life" fire proof suit on !! bring it on !!!!

Frogglin
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found
Twitter: Frogglin

Post by Frogglin » 29 October 10 10:18 pm

I can agree with "bloody cachers making bloody tracks" being misguided or outright wrong - If you wander my paddock you will find dozens of animal tracks, so in my opinion (valid or invalid as it may be, you be the judge!) cacher tracks seem to generally follow the path of least resistance - no one is going to go bushwacking through to place a cache when there's a track - no matter how small - 2 feet away.

What does need to be taken into consideration - though I wish it didn't - is the Up In Arms mentality.

Example - in the main street of my town, a 4 foot branch was dropped from a tree onto the bonnet of a car. No damage was done to the car, but there's a very vocal group of people demanding all trees be removed from the main street because clearly it's only a matter of minutes until someone is hit by a falling tree. Meanwhile my parents, who have lived here for 40 years, cannot remember another incident of a tree dropping a branch.

"All very well frog, where are you going with this?" Shut up and I'll tell you. It doesn't take many people to kick up a stink about anything. Someone witnesses a cacher digging up a cache and that could well be bad news for the activity.

Which is why I come back to my earlier comment - digging a hole to place a cache probably no big deal (Unless you're digging a BIG hole over the water mains, don't do that). 20 cachers digging to FIND a cache, could be an issue if seen or witnessed by the "wrong" person. A cache you can lift out of a hole, log and replace is infinitely better than a cache you have to dig for, if the thing MUST be buried at all.

10 points to anyone who read this whole post :D

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 29 October 10 10:49 pm

Richary wrote:That's not against the guidelines as nobody has dug a hole, just pushed the bottom of something into the soil. Which is surely less intrusive than moving a pile of rocks to cover something. As for real sprinklers being destroyed, it has always been pretty obvious to me from a light tug that no - that's a real one. The fakes move easier.
Well I saw some damaged real sprinkler-heads close to caches ... you might be good at spotting the right one others are not.
Anyway - I don't think a sprinkler-head is in line with the guidelines since it is a "pointy object" hence if you go this way it would be ok to ram something into the ground or use explosives. You didn't dig. That can't be the intention of the guidelines.

@Frogglin: I got 10 points :mrgreen:

Frogglin
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found
Twitter: Frogglin

Post by Frogglin » 29 October 10 11:16 pm

You may redeem those points at any time, with any value over 26000 points for your choice of smiley. Hooray!

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 30 October 10 7:56 am

Mr Router wrote:C@W said it all a couple of posts back !! this is my version !! FFS quit the whinging, go do some caching and not be sit at home being keyboard hero's with nothing else to think about !!!!!! as this crap is quickly becoming quiet bloody boring !!!!!!! in other short words "get a bloody life" fire proof suit on !! bring it on !!!!
Okay, Mr Router, you've got your fire proof suit on, and in response, I've got my tongue firmly in my cheek, okay? :mrgreen:

If you don't like people whinging on the forums rather than going out caching what are you doing posting on the forums whinging about people whinging when you could be out caching instead? :mrgreen:

As for the keyboard hero bit, I'll add some fuel.
* Only one exclamation mark is required after each sentence
* The proceeding word before exclamation mark does not require a space before the exclamation mark
* Any word following an exclamation mark should be capitalised
* "Not sit at home", rather than "not be sit at home"
* Heroes is spelled with an e and there is certainly not supposed to be an apostrophe in there
* "Quite" not "quiet"

That's it, I'm done. First I'm going to do a bit more whinging elsewhere on the forums, then I'm going to go out and find some caches, think of something else to think about, and get a bloody life :mrgreen:

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 30 October 10 8:08 am

I was agreeing with your post C@W, not taking the micky out of you ! there are many others here that should "get a bloody life" but hey who cares about my opinion anyway, that has been made clear before.
and hey i was not whinging, just stating the obvious :!:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 30 October 10 8:19 am

Mr Router wrote:I was agreeing with your post C@W, not taking the micky out of you ! there are many others here that should "get a bloody life" but hey who cares about my opinion anyway, that has been made clear before.
It wasnt c@w you were replying to, I've done the same thing a few times with Team Wibble and Rogerw3 with their pathtag avatars. :lol:

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 30 October 10 8:23 am

:oops:

Team Wibble

Post by Team Wibble » 30 October 10 11:27 am

CraigRat wrote:
Mr Router wrote:I was agreeing with your post C@W, not taking the micky out of you ! there are many others here that should "get a bloody life" but hey who cares about my opinion anyway, that has been made clear before.
It wasnt c@w you were replying to, I've done the same thing a few times with Team Wibble and Rogerw3 with their pathtag avatars. :lol:
=D> =D> =D> =D>
I found this even more hilarious, given that I'm pretty sure Mr Router thinks I'm one of those "others here who should get a bloody life"

I'm also one of those people who is not of the opinion that Mr Router has the right to insist that the only reason people "don't care about his opinion" because he's "only speaking the truth", because there is a difference between stating an opinion and "telling the truth" (whatever that means) and trolling and generally making ad hominen attacks and being unreasonable.

I also suspect that Mr Router completely missed the tongue in cheek nature of my previous post, as obvious as I tried to make it.

Since my last post, I have thought about other things, gone and found a cache, helped send off two Scouts on a 22,000km bike journey, and now in the spirit of this thread, I'm going to go and eat worms (Mr Wibble is attempting to make some jelly ones)

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 30 October 10 7:30 pm

Team Wibble wrote: ad hominen
Impressive! I had to look it up...

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 31 October 10 11:13 am

Team Wibble wrote:I'm also one of those people who is not of the opinion that Mr Router has the right to insist that the only reason people "don't care about his opinion" because he's "only speaking the truth", because there is a difference between stating an opinion and "telling the truth" (whatever that means) and trolling and generally making ad hominen attacks and being unreasonable.
My answer (and antidote to hypertension) to those you regularly resort to ad hominem attacks is the "less hominem" option:
This post was made by Mr Router who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 31 October 10 11:45 am

Papa Bear_Left wrote: My answer (and antidote to hypertension) to those you regularly resort to ad hominem attacks is the "less hominem" option:
This post was made by Mr Router who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
How do I do that! Please instruct.