Filtering caches based on attributes.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Filtering caches based on attributes.

Post by Richary » 22 October 10 12:57 am

I'm not quite sure how it will end up. I remember years ago people commenting that sooner or later all the "good spots" would be taken and newbies wanting to place something would have to settle for less exciting places.

If I go to gc and do a search on caches in California, it returns 84,771 records. That's just crazy, and how do you sort the good ones from the crap? Short of doing Zytherans technique of only getting high D/T ones. But a 1/1 can take you to a really nice spot if you are somewhere different.

What's your unfound 10km radius there - permanently above 100 I would guess. And geocaching in Australia WILL go the same way as more people join the hobby, and want to contribute by giving something back. Not realising they are actually making the hobby worse by putting out crap hides in boring places. It needs to be stated in BIG LETTERS somewhere that don't put out a cache unless you would really enjoy finding it. The current situation in the USA will cause big problems for Groundspeak as newcomers join the hobby and realise everything they are finding is rubbish. And then leave.

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Re: Shenanigans...

Post by Zytheran » 22 October 10 12:09 pm

Richary wrote:I'm not quite sure how it will end up. I remember years ago people commenting that sooner or later all the "good spots" would be taken and newbies wanting to place something would have to settle for less exciting places.

If I go to gc and do a search on caches in California, it returns 84,771 records. That's just crazy, and how do you sort the good ones from the crap? Short of doing Zytherans technique of only getting high D/T ones. But a 1/1 can take you to a really nice spot if you are somewhere different.
One issue I have raised on numerous occasions is the pathetic tagging and filtering GC support.
Here's my perfect caching day.
Step 1: Do a search for traditional caches with the 'dangerous area' attribute, a terrain of 4 or 4.5, any difficulty and that have a finder feedback rating of 3 star or more.
Step 2: Find them.

The problem is Step 1. GC are so friggin retarded I can't do this sort of search on their site.

An another step 1 might be "Do search for multi-caches, with the dog and child attribute, stroller friendly, terrain of 1.5 or 2"

or "Do a search for Unknown caches not by Zytheran, with the history tag set, takes less than 1 hour and is close to the hotel I am staying in when traveling"

I'm sure we would all like to able to search for the caches we want , now that there are so many however GC are incapable and unwilling to improve the searching IMHO. They just promote numbers. GCA add some of this functionality and GSAK can add some of the rest.

PS Can we search for attributes in GSAK yet?

Burton's
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by Burton's » 22 October 10 12:16 pm

Hi Z, yes you can search in gsak by attributes. Last tab in filter.

Cheers Lee

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 22 October 10 2:02 pm

Zytheran wrote:... and that have a finder feedback rating of 3 star or more...
Working on that... :mrgreen:

With the recent improvements to seeing recommended caches on GCA I'm in the process of updating my GCA Recommended GSAK Macro (works for both GC & GCA caches).

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Re: Filtering caches based on attributes.

Post by setsujoku » 22 October 10 3:48 pm

Have split this discussion out from the original thread so that others will see it, and so that the original stays somewhere near it's original discussion.