"Sent from my mobile device"

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Re: "Sent from my mobile device"

Post by Yurt » 17 October 10 7:49 pm

Gowza wrote:The latter two could be a glitch but the first one isn't the same as the second and third! A grammar pedant like you should have noticed! :mrgreen:

I'd say it was in aid of changing the date... I'd delete them if they were all identical, but in this case probably worth an email.
I did notice but couldn't be bothered explaining it!

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 17 October 10 9:51 pm

Here's something I'm thinking about adding to the cache description.
When logging your find on line, your feedback will be extremely useful - so please add something about your Geocaching experience in your log, even just the condition of the container would help. Logs that are blank, or only contain the words "sent from my mobile device" will be deleted.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 October 10 10:00 pm

I'm not trying to poke the bear, but I don't think GC would consider that an adequate reason to delete a log and requiring them to write anything other than what you want, on threat of deletion, might be considered an "additional logging requirement" and might bring down the wrath of the reviewers (now how's that for a run on sentence), although I would support you if you did it.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 17 October 10 10:50 pm

While I haven't had any yet on my caches, I think I would be tempted to delete on the basis the log shows no indication they have actually found it. GC may consider it an ALR but then it is up to the person to go through the appeals process, it would be far easier and quicker for them to actually write a log for the find which I would let stand.

At the same time I deleted I would be emailing the finder indicating the log was deleted because they hadn't actually given any indication they had found it.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 18 October 10 7:11 am

Richary wrote:While I haven't had any yet on my caches, I think I would be tempted to delete on the basis the log shows no indication they have actually found it. GC may consider it an ALR but then it is up to the person to go through the appeals process, it would be far easier and quicker for them to actually write a log for the find which I would let stand.
I think that the actual 'Found it' log type would be sufficient for them to argue that they told you they found it. (Taking the Devils Advocate position of course........)
Richary wrote:At the same time I deleted I would be emailing the finder indicating the log was deleted because they hadn't actually given any indication they had found it.
We are adding this to GCA logs at the moment. If you reject a log for some reason (didn't meet ALR requirements/gave away position etc) then the person gets fired an email and gets a chance to fix up the offending log.
Should go live sometime this month if the real world leaves me alone for a bit.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 18 October 10 8:19 am

Richary wrote:While I haven't had any yet on my caches, I think I would be tempted to delete on the basis the log shows no indication they have actually found it...
Could that not be said of virtually all cache logs? :? The online logging has no verification of the cacher ever being at GZ, therefore we need to rely on the physical log to verify any claim.

It would be nice to see some guidance given somewhere (depends on the platform used to log the cache) to encourage better logs, however IMO we need to be understanding and positively encourage this practice rather than take the punishment approach.

mm

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 18 October 10 9:15 am

Map Monkey wrote:
Richary wrote:While I haven't had any yet on my caches, I think I would be tempted to delete on the basis the log shows no indication they have actually found it...
Could that not be said of virtually all cache logs? :? The online logging has no verification of the cacher ever being at GZ, therefore we need to rely on the physical log to verify any claim.
I'd say that most logs, even TFTC, indicate that a find is being claimed. If the log said "purple monkey dishwasher" then you could argue that no claim for a find is made and it could have been a slip of the keyboard (a big one mind you!). What I'm saying is that "sent from my mobile device" doesn't indicate any INTENT to log a cache and could have been caused by an accidental keystroke or two.

But yes I think a warning email and then deletion within a set time is fair enough. But then that's just my worthless opinion.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 October 10 9:26 am

That would be called an ALR and Groudspeaks Zombie Reviewer Hit Squad* would come down on you for deleting legitimate logs.

*Not their real name.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 18 October 10 1:01 pm

Thoe one thing I find odd about all this is that is the text GC decided to put in as default. You'd have thought 'Thanks for the Cache' or somethign would have been better....

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 18 October 10 4:16 pm

CraigRat wrote:Thoe one thing I find odd about all this is that is the text GC decided to put in as default. You'd have thought 'Thanks for the Cache' or somethign would have been better....
Yes. After selecting the log type it should open the message window by default rather than having to then select the message 'option' as a secondary step. You can log a find completely skipping the message step and it does not display or indicate in any way that there will be a 'default' log if you skip the message step.

To those proposing deleting finds, the sequence of selecting "Log Type" and "Found it!" and then "Post As Log" is not something that would likely be done by accident.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 18 October 10 6:07 pm

CraigRat wrote:Thoe one thing I find odd about all this is that is the text GC decided to put in as default. You'd have thought 'Thanks for the Cache' or somethign would have been better....
I think it's really designed to be a footer message rather than a default log text.
You see similar things at the bottom of emails sent from Blackberry's and other PDAs.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 19 October 10 1:18 pm

I tried the iPhone app with some city caches when I replaced the container for HH12 http://coord.info/GC1KN8E last week.
For this one http://coord.info/GCXDDN I posted a found log and a photo. I wrote a short log and added the photo and sent the lot (so I thought). When I checked later I saw a log containing "Sent from my mobile device." and the photo on the cache listing and the app had placed the log text I had written under the pending tab.
I edited the log later to add some text.

For http://coord.info/GCMVFK again a log with a photo, it posted the log and hung trying to post the photo. The only way out was to reboot the iPhone. It added the photo a after I got home and resent the logs, at that time it also sent the text for the log on http://coord.info/GCXDDN as a new log - subsequently deleted by myself.

At http://coord.info/GCKKTY I dispensed with a photo. The text log was uploaded ok.

McKee Clan
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by McKee Clan » 19 October 10 5:29 pm

we have done this a couple of times by accident but always went home and edited our logs, we now always submit as field notes and go home to put the logs in as the iphone puts the logs in on the wrong day.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 19 October 10 6:29 pm

McKee Clan wrote:we have done this a couple of times by accident but always went home and edited our logs, we now always submit as field notes and go home to put the logs in as the iphone puts the logs in on the wrong day.
That could be a time zone issue

SamWalkers
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by SamWalkers » 24 October 10 10:56 pm

Yurt wrote:I'm seeing this log show up everywhere lately. Mainly on caches on my watchlist.
I do feel a little the same way about 'TFTC' but at least that's more than "sent from my mobile device" which doesn't even indicate they found the cache.
I think I have a solution.

Send them an email that just reads...
FHAYMD

If they ask what that means tell them...
Fascinated to hear about your mobile device.