Wagga Wagga under floods.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
the farmers 5
4500 or more caches found
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Wagga Wagga under floods.

Post by the farmers 5 » 16 October 10 6:24 pm

Many attendees of the OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA will recognize these locations. Especially if you stayed in the Wagga Beach Caravan Park, attended the Pathtag meeting at the beach or completed the OZMEGOPOLY game. This is the location where you had to answer the question about Charles Sturt on the wall.With all the recent heavy rains in the Riverina this week, the Murrumbidgee just kept rising today non stop at a furious rate.

The first photo was taken today around 4 pm as 24 cabins were relocated to the Tourist Information Centre car park.

The second photo below,shows the Caravan park in the right of the picture , the Charles Sturt wall behind the building and the Murrumbigee is in the background running right to left ,although hard to see once it went over the banks.

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found

Re: Wagga Wagga under floods.

Post by Team Pathfinder » 16 October 10 8:03 pm

Wow! Thanks for posting those photos. We heard about the Caravan park being flooded on the ABC this morning but was thinking a lot less water than that, had in mind more just the riverflat area.

I guess a few caches have gone missing around the Riverina and across all the flood areas come to that. We will have to make a HUGE repair kit for those we might come across that as still in place but soggy.

How are you guys going? Hopefully not flooded out yourselves?

We are currently near Gladstone and making our way back in your direction but not rushing as everywhere south of here seems to be affected by the recent rain. Maybe we should have stayed even longer in FNQ :)

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 16 October 10 8:14 pm

Saw it on the news tonight, was thinking a few of the caches I found that weekend are now on their way to the Murray. Hope all the cachers there are above danger levels.

the farmers 5
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 17 October 10 5:14 pm

More pictures of Wagga and the region.
First one is the entrance to the Wagga Beach Caravan Park today.

The second picture below is about 300m upstream from the Caravan Park today. Back in January, you could walk across ankle deep water to the other side of the Murrumbidgee.
The third picture below , is in the area today. This should put a halt to any FTF chasers for a few days at least !

The fourth picture below is the North Wagga flats area taken from the Hampton Bridge.

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 17 October 10 5:22 pm

Incredible - If I remember rightly, when we drove into the park there was quite a downward slope so the river there is quite deep. Somehow I dont think we will be able to be parking the van there real soon.

Thanks for the great photos :) - shouldnt you be doing something else right now thought???

Hiding more caches to replace those that have been washed away. LOL. Only kidding, stay safe and dry :)

the farmers 5

Post by the farmers 5 » 17 October 10 5:42 pm

Team Pathfinder wrote:Incredible - If I remember rightly, when we drove into the park there was quite a downward slope so the river there is quite deep. Somehow I dont think we will be able to be parking the van there real soon.

Thanks for the great photos :) - shouldnt you be doing something else right now thought???

Hiding more caches to replace those that have been washed away. LOL. Only kidding, stay safe and dry :)
Yeah, its all incredible after 15 years or so of drought to see dams go from 6 % to 100 %. You could walk across the Murrumbidgee in January. All the caching teams dont live in low areas ,except baby and Mrs gopher at The Rock. A few caches have been disabled . A few have been taken off line . Although if you are a good swimmer ,
they are all yours for the taking. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I own the "Epic Journey " cache at the beach and its final GZ spot is always good. :D :D

The picture below was taken today at Lockhart in the main street. We didnt take this photo, but it doesn.t look good. But the team of horses and cart in the background is probaly the only clever one. Obviously a cacher desperate to get to a FTF . :shock:

Looking forward to your next visit to Wagga, been plenty more caches placed since then MEGA .

Last edited by the farmers 5 on 18 October 10 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the farmers 5

Post by the farmers 5 » 18 October 10 5:29 pm

Some more photo's of the weekend floods in the region.

The two photo's are both of the main street of Adelong on Saturday.

baby&Mrs gopher

Post by baby&Mrs gopher » 18 October 10 7:52 pm

baby&Mrs gopher Love a Sunburnt Country a Land of Sweeping Planes of Rugged Mountain Ranges of Drought (too long to remember) and Flooding Rains (3 days ago) and if your into amature Radio we did actually sign VK2KUZ/VK2MKJ Maritime Mobile on Friday afternoon after the first lot of local flood water went through. :!: Sorry to those that will not be able to access a lot of our caches untill we get the chance to repair them

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 18 October 10 8:00 pm

Amazing photos - thanks Greg. We stayed at Wagga Beach, so we assume our cabin was one of those moved. It was overlooking the river then. The photo looking through the arch really brings home the level of the flood.

Team Ladava
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Team Ladava » 18 October 10 8:35 pm

The Rock approximately 20 minutes south of Wagga where baby&Mrs gopher live suffered severe flood damage last weekend.
They evacuated around 1am on Saturday morning along with most of the town and the residents from the Aged Care facility.
I am told approximately 50% of the houses and business suffered flood damage to various degrees. Two houses were judged unrepairable. Baby&Mrs gopher count themselves as fortunate suffering only wet carpets in one room and some structural damage to the foundations.

See the photo taken in daylight after the water had receded some centimetres.

Naturally Geocaching ‘took a back seat’ for the weekend.

After a marathon cleanup, dealing with insurance representatives etc. and considerable sleep depravation sitting up in a stranger’s lounge room, imagine receiving the following log on one of their caches –

Log Date: 10/16/2010
>> The recent flooding has made a real mess of this area and Baby&Mrs Gopher
>> really need to take a drive around all of their caches and attend to
>> them. Baby&Mrs Gopher should pay a bit more attention to what is
>> happening in the local area and perhaps consider marking some caches
>> temporarily unavailable if accessing them is likely to become dangerous.
>> Although this was an easy find, and we left our friendly caterpillar here
>> to continue its journey, Baby&Mrs Gopher need to take a good hard look at
>> what they themselves and make sure they don't endanger other GeoNerds.

In my opinion ‘pretty poor form’

Ian
Team Ladava

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 18 October 10 8:53 pm

:shock: :roll: That's disgusting, and I am being very polite! What kind of moron puts a log like that! Fortunately most of the geocaching community wishes all the best to Baby & Mrs Gopher and everybody else that has been affected by the recent flooding.

Nodalot

Post by Nodalot » 18 October 10 9:10 pm

In every activity there is always an idiot or two, and this one must have learned to read a GPS by counting on his fingers and toes.
It makes me mad that someone so self-centred in this activity is too ignorant to realise that there has been a natural disaster here over the last few days.
baby&Mrs gopher now have bigger problems on their hands than worrying about an idiot geocaching in the middle of a flood. May he have many, many, DNF's.

the farmers 5

Post by the farmers 5 » 18 October 10 9:25 pm

maccamob wrote:Amazing photos - thanks Greg. We stayed at Wagga Beach, so we assume our cabin was one of those moved. It was overlooking the river then. The photo looking through the arch really brings home the level of the flood.
Yes, Dave .Those are the cabins you all stayed in at the Caravan Park. All at the Info Centre Car Park for awhile.

The photo's below were all taken at baby and Mrs gophers home at The Rock.
PHOTO 1 The rain is coming......

The floodwaters get closer.
This photo below was taken the next day after the rising floods went up over the verandah and into the house .The picture is after the waters have resided down. Obviously,they were not thinking of happy snaps in the panic in between.

The fourth photo below is taken from gophers verandah of the rescue attempt about 100m away , through the night of an elderly lady and fire truck was left where it got swamped.][/size]

In response to the Geocaching Team from Albury who attempted caches in an area declared a natural disaster ,you have to be kidding. Your comments were pretty low when a Team who was working at The Rock Show , ventured home to endure this weekend nightmare plus had to rescue their daughter 200m up the road at her house.
We noticed you had a few smart comments of mainly BAZ's caches.
The large geocaching family will take note of your comments ,so beware on your travels. [-X [-X

This one was another...http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... bcddea3934

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 18 October 10 9:35 pm

That's really insulting and uncaring. Surely they must have realised the cache owners were local and likely affected. A note on the page as a heads up that the cache is now underwater/dangerous to get to and might need to be temporarily disabled would have been completely fine. Telling the cache owners off for not immediately responding (this flooding happened what... the day of or the day before they logged this?) is just plain mean.

I had a quick look through Baby & Mrs Gopher's caches because I remember finding some of them during the Mega Event. To see so many of their caches having to be temporarily disabled is sad enough, to know that they are dealing with the after effects of severe flooding to their house is worse, knowing they had to deal with insensitive comments is just the nasty icing on the cake.

Hopefully everyone recovers and that the insurance issues are painlessly sorted because sometimes that can be a bit ](*,)

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 18 October 10 9:37 pm

Team Pathfinder wrote::shock: :roll: That's disgusting, and I am being very polite! What kind of moron puts a log like that! Fortunately most of the geocaching community wishes all the best to Baby & Mrs Gopher and everybody else that has been affected by the recent flooding.
I'm sure if I wrote what I truly thought about this idiot c@w would probably suspend my account. You couldn't find a more accommodating couple, this is just disgusting.

Aw, bugger it, I sent them a note!
Last edited by Big Matt and Shell on 18 October 10 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.