Garmin Chirp

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
PrincessDiala
2300 or more caches found
2300 or more caches found

Re: Garmin Chirp

Post by PrincessDiala » 08 November 10 6:25 am

I believe there is now two chirps caches, the other one with optional chirp, regular way is longer.
http://coord.info/GC2HRVM

bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 09 November 10 11:00 pm

I have ordered two chirps. Not sure what to do with them yet.
I wonder if this could be of the solutions for caching in National Parks where it is currently banned? I would walk for two days to get the secret message to appear on my GPS. Not quite as thrilling as finding a box but better than a virtual. As the placer of the cache, you would have a great excuse for a walk to replace the battery every year.

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 09 November 10 11:19 pm

Better still change the battery to rechargeable & use a solor panel like the one's that are in the garden lights.

iamapom

Post by iamapom » 10 November 10 2:20 pm

So from this tread - it appears that a GC.com cache could, in fact, be "Chirp only" but would need to be of the type "Mystery" is that correct ?

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 10 November 10 3:25 pm

iamapom wrote:So from this tread - it appears that a GC.com cache could, in fact, be "Chirp only" but would need to be of the type "Mystery" is that correct ?
That is how I read it.

tatty

Post by tatty » 10 November 10 3:48 pm

yes, mystery with beacon attribute for beacon only caches or multi with beacon attribute for those that can be solved without the beacon.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 10 November 10 8:27 pm

tatty wrote:yes, mystery with beacon attribute for beacon only caches or multi with beacon attribute for those that can be solved without the beacon.
Or list it on GCA as a Beacon cache type!!! :D

You get your own Icon! ---> Image !

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 10 November 10 8:30 pm

Found my first chirp cache today. GPS showed 14m to GZ before it picked it up.

tatty

Post by tatty » 12 November 10 11:18 am

This just popped in on my watchlist, looks like someone may have found a way to get the info from the chirp without a garmin.
judbud found Heard A Bird ? (Unknown Cache) at 11/11/2010

Log Date: 11/11/2010
WooHoo #500 let alone a cache i been trying to crack since publish, I spent way to much time
getting to know the corner on 205th & 76th decrypting he signal but I can confirm
it's possible (not easy at all) to read the chirp signal without a garmin device! Though
it took many tries to finally get what was needed to pull the cords out of the decryption.
Would like to thank some of the guys from XDA forums for helping me to crack it just enough
to get what was needed to make the find! I will report keep your eyes out there are some
tools coming to help crack the chirp from a ANT+ sd card...

Have to Thank my kids A-Mazin & TNTTay for dealing with me on my mission to crack this
thing & going with me on my push for 500 today all while being sick :(

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 12 November 10 12:10 pm

Well that didnt take long... expect to see hack patches for other devices soon ;)

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 12 November 10 12:41 pm

Good to see some ANT+ reverse engineering going on. Can't wait till you can send a geocaching to a Garmin GPS wireless from a PDA.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 13 November 10 11:33 am

I think I see now why the decision by GC.com not to have a Chirp cache type was made.
Garmins revenues are down across many of their former key product areas such as road and marine navigation, and their smartphone venture has gone bad.
They now appear to be getting ready to launch their own website in opposition to GC.com to try to build up the handheld/geocaching component of their business, which is being discussed in another thread. http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... =2&t=15262

For GC.com to create a Chirp cache type would be a bit like sleeping with the enemy.

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 13 November 10 11:55 am

tatty wrote:This just popped in on my watchlist, looks like someone may have found a way to get the info from the chirp without a garmin.
judbud found Heard A Bird ? (Unknown Cache) at 11/11/2010

Log Date: 11/11/2010
WooHoo #500 let alone a cache i been trying to crack since publish, I spent way to much time
getting to know the corner on 205th & 76th decrypting he signal but I can confirm
it's possible (not easy at all) to read the chirp signal without a garmin device! Though
it took many tries to finally get what was needed to pull the cords out of the decryption.
Would like to thank some of the guys from XDA forums for helping me to crack it just enough
to get what was needed to make the find! I will report keep your eyes out there are some
tools coming to help crack the chirp from a ANT+ sd card...

Have to Thank my kids A-Mazin & TNTTay for dealing with me on my mission to crack this
thing & going with me on my push for 500 today all while being sick :(
This Ant device might come in handy soon.
http://www.wahoofitness.com/

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 13 November 10 12:13 pm

So I just got my first chirp. It crashed the Oregon 300 two times while programming and shows some error messages along the way but as soon as I got that sorted it works. It will be in my car soon: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=247598 :D

tatty

Post by tatty » 13 November 10 12:20 pm

There is only one current catch with putting a chirp in your car (I have one there too), you continually find yourself every time you are near the car and as such cannot find any other chirp whilst the car is in range :roll:
Garmin needs to be pushed for a software update to allow an ignore this chirp setting or enable the ability to find another chirp whilst already receiving a signal from one.