Garmin Chirp

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
tatty

Re: Garmin Chirp

Post by tatty » 27 October 10 1:41 pm

Well I have chirps in hand and a few other new toys \:D/ They come with a velcro dot to attach them, I really can't see a sticky dot holding up in the wild but it might be okay for a car TB.

For those local, 'the wheels' is now chirp'd :wink: The oregon can detect the chirp in the car from inside the house, works well so far!

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 30 October 10 12:41 am

First chirp cache in Australia ?
http://coord.info/GC2H6K8

Thanks Tatty :)
Last edited by covert on 02 November 10 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

tatty

Post by tatty » 30 October 10 6:40 am

Glad it worked okay for you :D
The kids and I were walking backwards and forwards finding somewhere to stick the chirp so it was readable and hidden. The first spot was better but visible by the undesirables that lit the little fire there and I didn't want it to go walkabout, so I tucked it away where it couldn't be seen easily which reduced it's range considerably (obviously it still works, but you need to get fairly close now).

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 30 October 10 12:47 pm

I was of the understanding that if this type of cache was going to be used that there was also spose to be an option for those of us that don't have the type of GPSr to recive the CHIRP Signal to be able to still find the cache.

as far as im conserned it is very restritive if it can only be found by those that have the GPSr that can recive the signal & Bloody unfair & very restrive.

As i don't have a GPSr that can recive the CHIRP i have to Beg/Borrow someone elses unit to find this cache well there will be one cache that is 7 Km's from my place that will annoy the @#!% out of me knowing it is there regardless to the fact that yeah im sure that if ask someone to borrow there they would only be happy lend it but i should not have to borrow someone eleses Gear to find a cache. Or worst still go out & buy a $600 GPSr to find a few caches, & besides i work some long hours so i do most of my caching of a night time so the option of going out caching with someone with The Required GPSr is pretty much out out of the question as the one person that would have been the prime canadate has already found it.

Can we get some clarafaction on the rullings of this type of cache
ie: is there spose to be a secondry route for those of us with out the required GPSr?
Or are they for those that have the GPSr that can recive it going to be the only ones that find it??????????????

tatty

Post by tatty » 30 October 10 1:00 pm

It was a few pages back Rigger.
tatty wrote:A new development overnight, was posted by MissJenn (admin at GS)
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... 19&st=150#
Groundspeak will make it easier to have these new devices as part of the growing repertoire of ways to find a cache.

Here is the current plan:
1) A new attribute for a "beacon" will be added soon. Any caches that use a Chirp (or any future similar device) should use this attribute.
2) If a cache owner puts a beacon in a traditional cache and geocachers have an alternative method to find it without using the beacon, then OK. I remind you to use the coming attribute.
3) If the cache owner insists on not providing an alternative means of finding the geocache, it must be listed as a mystery with the beacon attribute.
4) Cache descriptions may mention the "Chirp" as long as the text doesn't go on and on with "overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion" as per our long-standing commercial guidelines.
5) We do not plan to add a new cache type just for this.
And a few posts further down from Jeremy
Garmin didn't tell us about this product. We only became aware of it, by accident, two days prior to the public announcement.

Because we had no prior knowledge of the device being released, we have been figuring out how to make them available within Geocaching.com. We'll be supporting them as a new attribute which should be available as early as today.
So it looks like it is finally sorted.
My cache is within the rules, I even added the needs special tool attribute which technically shouldn't have been required as that is what the ? mystery/unknown with beacon attribute is for.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 30 October 10 1:37 pm

I don't have climbing gear, so the cache half-way up a cliff that's near the top of my "nearest unfound" list will require me to enlist the help of a climber with rappelling gear.

I don't have a sea-going boat, so there's some island caches that'll need me to rent or borrow some equipment to find them.

There'll probably be a Chirp cache nearby soon enough, and... you see where I'm going by now.

The times when I have gone to the extra effort of either acquiring or borrowing gear for an otherwise impossible find have been amongst the highlights of my caching experiences. I imagine I'll also get a nerdy thrill when I eventually see the chirped text appearing on the GPSr screen (either a friend's or after it's been hacked to work on a smartphone, probably.)

As a reviewer, I'll be strongly urging placers of Chirp caches to make it damn clear in their listing that special equipment is required, as taking people to a unfindable waypoint without telling them about it is just an arsehole thing to do, not clever or entertaining. (The German word Schadenfreude springs to mind here.)

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 30 October 10 1:51 pm

covert wrote:First chirp cache in Australia ?
http://coords.info/GC2H6K8

Thanks Tatty :)

its coord.info not coords.info

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 01 November 10 12:10 pm

It's still less restrictive than the whereigo caches were when they first came out.
At least this time there is a larger range of receivers that are capable of the new technology...

Rigger64

Post by Rigger64 » 01 November 10 9:20 pm

Yeah it is very restrictive & i Still think that they should be rated as a Difficity5 as they require Specal Equipment. ](*,)

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 01 November 10 9:44 pm

I never agreed with that D5 in the first place for many caches....Just because I have access to a simple Dakota 20 GPS etc, this should not be a reason to list them as possibly the hardest cache to find....harder than many other caches. :?

Not that we can do much about it now, the rules have been decided. =; :P

Waiting for someone to hack it to pieces and make it into something interesting. \:D/

mm

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 04 November 10 9:21 pm

I have just reactivated the Monument To Safety cache as a multi with the option to do the equation or use the CHIRP to find the final location.
It is still listed as a Trad but I've asked TheUmp to kindly change it to a multi.
Hopefully it will now be more muggle resistant than it was in its previous configuration.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 04 November 10 11:10 pm

I just brought 3 chirp units from a REI store, they still have 2 more in store if anyone wants me to grab them

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 04 November 10 11:11 pm

Skippy wrote:I just brought 3 chirp units from a REI store, they still have 2 more in store if anyone wants me to grab them
I would say yes, grab me one BUT, My gps don't agree with them!!
Poo #-o :stabby

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 04 November 10 11:39 pm

MtnLioness wrote:
Skippy wrote:I just brought 3 chirp units from a REI store, they still have 2 more in store if anyone wants me to grab them
I would say yes, grab me one BUT, My gps don't agree with them!!
Poo #-o :stabby

Just find someone close to you to program it for you.

nibbler
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by nibbler » 05 November 10 10:33 am

I cant help feeling that this another way to get $$$ out of cachers. Its probably just me but I cant see the point of the Chirp :-k