Caching Team caching separately

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

Re: Caching Team caching separately

Post by Hoojar » 12 October 10 9:17 am

tronador wrote:
Hoojar wrote: Oh, and our Dog, Ding, is a travel bug.
Now I've heard everything. I love it and almost fell off my chair laughing. :D :D :D :D :D

So which cache does this TB live in????

Looking forward to one meeting Ding!!!!!
This is Ding: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2842881 He features prominently at local events. Most new cachers come up to him and say, "And this must be Ding!" before they introduce themselves to Chip and I!

He only visits caches and never gets dropped into one. The new 'visited' feature on gc.com certainly cut the logging time in half!

FarmerFrentzen

Post by FarmerFrentzen » 12 October 10 11:06 pm

Another interesting twist to the team scenario of caching teams caching separately is the difference between a single cacher maintaining a record continuous run of caching days as opposed to a team.

The individual has to make a find whether they are busy, ill or otherwise. A team can take it turns or cover for each other and yet still yield the same result.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 12 October 10 11:42 pm

FarmerFrentzen wrote:Another interesting twist to the team scenario of caching teams caching separately is the difference between a single cacher maintaining a record continuous run of caching days as opposed to a team.

The individual has to make a find whether they are busy, ill or otherwise. A team can take it turns or cover for each other and yet still yield the same result.
Best ask the McKee Clan! They'd have a valid point of view on the issue. I can assure you as an individual cacher... currently unable to drive... it's a damn good thing I dont have a 9-5 job right now or my 140 day streak would be even more under threat of collapsing! Even in the city its getting tough to find time to catch a train in, walk, hopefully not DNF, and train/walk home! Cant wait to get out of this sling! \:D/

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 13 October 10 3:55 pm

the farmers 5 wrote: Do two trips to the goods gain two smileys anywhere ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unfortunately only on the rather rare grandfathered seasonal caches.

And certainly not on the Puzzle cache I spent a couple of hours solving, then a half hour drive, then a fifteen minute walk, only to realise - yep, I had done it all a couple of months before! :oops: :oops: :oops:

That was pre-GSAK of course.

the farmers 5
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 13 October 10 5:53 pm

Alansee wrote:
the farmers 5 wrote: Do two trips to the goods gain two smileys anywhere ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unfortunately only on the rather rare grandfathered seasonal caches.

And certainly not on the Puzzle cache I spent a couple of hours solving, then a half hour drive, then a fifteen minute walk, only to realise - yep, I had done it all a couple of months before! :oops: :oops: :oops:

That was pre-GSAK of course.
But there is one cache we would allow you 2 smiley's on just through compassion . :wink: :wink: :wink:

A certain Derringer cache comes to mind high in the mountains in Victoria and if i remember a 5 to 10 km trek in to the cache and then the trek back to the car. Yes and if the story is true, a look around the car for GPS unit when ready to leave and it didn't turn up.The only thought was that it was left at the cache spot. :( :( :(

Then, the long , slow shuffle up the mountain again , and after the search,no cigar at GZ. :? :?
The 4th long trek back to the car and a quick look down besides the seat and console and presto.....the GPS unit.

The next string of 4 letter words must have been priceless :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Prepared to give you 2 smiley's for that for determination . =D> =D> =D> =D>

stanley
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by stanley » 14 October 10 2:00 am

Mmmmm, interesting. As someone who is currently in Canada for a week for work and logging a few finds while the other half of the team is home in Adelaide I thought I should wade into this thread. I don't imagine that we will be logging to many finds on opposite sides of the world as Mr S does not have a GPS unless the new one we ordered has arrived, but we did log finds on 10/10/10. He went to an event in Adelaide and I found a couple of caches here. I couldn 't not go caching on that date! Should we not have logged one of those? I don't think so. Apologies to the purists.

We mostly cache together, in fact I don't enjoy it nearly as much by myself. But there are lots of times when one of us caches without the other and when one of us might be interstate and one at home. I don't see the problem with logging all the finds we might have in either location on those occasions.

Excuse me now while I pack up my things as a local Canadian cacher is coming to pick me up and take me out caching at Woodstock, Ontario for a couple of hours.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 14 October 10 8:25 am

Thanks everyone for their replys is looks like most people think the way we do and try to cache within the team as much as possible and don't think the right thing to do is to have multiple GPSr's and cache separately.

emily~angel
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by emily~angel » 14 October 10 2:46 pm

We have one GPS and there is 7 of us in the family, we ofeten go caching together as a family, hubby had his own account but it was stupid logging everything we did together twice so we stopped his account.
My husband and I both go caching alone when we get chances aswell, with 5 kids sometimes we are too busy for all of us to go so why should the other one miss out?
Recently he was away at Googs track with other cachers and I had the GPS, so the kids and I all logged a few caches we found without him while he was getting caches himself.
Also our eldest daughter (aged 11) was upset as she couldnt find my caches and she wanted to hide her own but I wouldnt let her, so she started her own account with our permission. We let her hide 7 caches that she went to weekly and she did that with barely any help and was very proud of herself, but I was no going to sit and double log all the caches we found together, she had done what she wanted, she had logged my caches and she had hid hers, she was also given poop by other cachers and it was really pathetic how people act so I have told her after someone disposed of all her caches in a nearby bin to stop and just use our account...its off the story but all this leads to why she went to an event with her godmum - another cacher and logged it in our name not hers.

So emily~angel logs caches found together, or alone and we love it.

McKee Clan
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by McKee Clan » 20 October 10 2:18 pm

Zalgariath wrote:
FarmerFrentzen wrote:Another interesting twist to the team scenario of caching teams caching separately is the difference between a single cacher maintaining a record continuous run of caching days as opposed to a team.

Best ask the McKee Clan! They'd have a valid point of view on the issue. I can assure you as an individual cacher... currently unable to drive... it's a damn good thing I dont have a 9-5 job right now or my 140 day streak would be even more under threat of collapsing! Even in the city its getting tough to find time to catch a train in, walk, hopefully not DNF, and train/walk home! Cant wait to get out of this sling! \:D/

I better reply: when we started the streak we went through all things that matter to ensure a genuine and accepted record attempt. We are a geocaching family and when the kids grow up they will get there own accounts and will probably start again. However I am the keen cacher and have been present for the finds. The geodad post was spot on, I enjoy most when the family is there but when you are on a cliff or out in a kayak you just can't have all there. So I just made sure I was present at all times.
You could say that really We have the longest streak for a team and Sushilord has the longest streak for a single cacher if you go down those lines. However to be honest it is hard to keep the streak going if you are either a team or individual when you are past 300 days.
We have actually never cached seperately on the same day and do see how one being elsewhere while one is at home chasing a FTF would make sense to us, but having not done that then I don't know. But for the stat collectors it would freak out the stats and not reflect actually what was done.
I just make sure I sign all logs and if the event does not have a log to sign I find a local cache on the way home. No log no find! thats how we keep the streak.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 20 October 10 3:58 pm

I cache alone mostly, and when I am with someone in my family I record whom I was with. That being said, my family are not really into caching. They are just there when I do it sometimes. If my young son ever gets into caching I'll be able to give him a list of all the caches he has already "found" with me.

I think what it boils down to is this, do what you want, but don't misrepresent what you have done. If you split up with two GPSr and head off and get 2 FTFs and simultaneously and log them under a team name, say so. Don't try to win a caching game that can be won more easily by a team caching separately. This is really the only way other cachers can be "cheated" by a team caching apart and logging together.

nibbler
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by nibbler » 20 October 10 4:51 pm

We generally cache together as a family on holiday so not an issue . However having said that if there is a cache that is half way up a mountain I send the geohubby to get this as he loves bashing through the bush and is fit enough to do so. I dont cache on those days and do attribute his finds to the team. So few that it wont skew the stats .
I cache for the enjoyment ,finding new places and enjoying a shared intrest with others. Im not in the least inetrested in the numbers. :)

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 20 October 10 5:15 pm

We actually have a team in Adelaide that are two related couples who cache separately. Rubs me the wrong way, but at the end of the day, it's a game and they each play it their own way.

I see "cached" as a family team. Largely, I'm cached, but if one of the others logs a cached, it's all good. Each of the boys (Devil Racer Ryan and CachedScout.) has their own login but really only use them to log events - such as 10 10 10.

I do have a dog TB - at Wagga everybody kept asking if my cute little mini schnauzer puppy was trackable - so I bought a tag and now she is. She also has a facebook page (Schanpps Schnauzer).

It's a game. Bits like this we can each play our own way. As long as names are in logbooks, it's all fair.

Cached

Post by Cached » 21 October 10 2:19 am

What are your thoughts on multiple teams caching together and DNFs?

I wish they would log just one, not one each. Lest it looks like several visits have not turned up the cache, rather than one visit.

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 21 October 10 6:42 am

Cached wrote:What are your thoughts on multiple teams caching together and DNFs?
Same as finds, one log per account. But we are getting OT.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Caching Team Discussions

Post by pjmpjm » 21 October 10 8:23 am

This has been a very interesting discussion thread! I only just read it this morning and was pleased to hear how the various 'teams' do their caching.

I cache alone more than 95 per cent of the time, but once in a while Mrs. pjmpjm accompanies me on Blue Mountains adventures, especially when there's a good view in the offing. She's been especially partial to rogerw3 caches . . .

However, if she ever got really interested in caching (which seems highly unlikely) I think I'd suggest she got her own separate geocaching name.

Thanks to everyone for sharing.