It seems bizarre to me ...

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The Empire
3000 or more caches found

Re: It seems bizarre to me ...

Post by The Empire » 05 October 10 9:22 am

We need Mulder and Scully to work this one out! :-k It makes for very interesting reading anyway.

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 05 October 10 2:28 pm

It just keeps getting weirder - cache has been found, along with half of the trackables! #-o

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 05 October 10 3:09 pm

This truly is fascinating - And if there's nothing 'sinister' going on here, then it truly is a remarkable collection of seemingly odd-behaviours. (as if caching itself wasn't odd enough)

Looking at the newbie FTFer, on all the finds they've found since (4 more on one day) they wrote the same exact log for each one. Nothing about the find.... Not unheard of of course, but an extra bit of strangeness....

Where's the CSI crew when you need one - "Give the (cache) the old CSI treatment. Labtests, weird lights, shots from the cache's point of view..." (Chief Wiggum)

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 05 October 10 3:53 pm

Does anyone know Team Nano so that we can get the full story straight from the proverbial "horses mouth."? :D :D

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 05 October 10 4:46 pm

tronador wrote:Does anyone know Team Nano so that we can get the full story straight from the proverbial "horses mouth."? :D :D
I get the feeling that Team Nano couldn't tell you any more about what's going on than you'd read in this thread or on the cache page!

I think a big thanks needs to go out to daysix for going and looking for the cache in it's "new" location and successfully finding and rescuing at least some of the trackables. Sounds like Team Nano found another one on the ground as well.
I think the question does need to be asked of Mollypoo (nicely, because I could imagine that they realised they'd done something wrong and panicked), how, after logging that they'd found the cache and taken it home, it was "found" by a random person about 2km away from where the original hide was. Because it certainly doesn't make their case look good :oops:

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 05 October 10 4:54 pm

Team Wibble wrote:
tronador wrote:Does anyone know Team Nano so that we can get the full story straight from the proverbial "horses mouth."? :D :D
I get the feeling that Team Nano couldn't tell you any more about what's going on than you'd read in this thread or on the cache page!

I think a big thanks needs to go out to daysix for going and looking for the cache in it's "new" location and successfully finding and rescuing at least some of the trackables. Sounds like Team Nano found another one on the ground as well.
I think the question does need to be asked of Mollypoo (nicely, because I could imagine that they realised they'd done something wrong and panicked), how, after logging that they'd found the cache and taken it home, it was "found" by a random person about 2km away from where the original hide was. Because it certainly doesn't make their case look good :oops:
I wonder if there were two caches :?: The original where the photo was and the second at the listed coords, which was placed after the first couldn't due to proximity problems :?:
Luckily I know Daysix so I'll send him an email - surely he'll have to meet Team Nano to give them the cache he picked up.
Cheers 8)

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 05 October 10 8:04 pm

Phetlern wrote:Absolutely amazing - without wanting to start a new thread, perhaps we should be making more use of Premium Member Caches, especially those specifically designed to house moveables/trackables. :-k
Maybe TB hotels themselves are just basically a bad idea? I have seen too many go missing over time with the consequent loss of quite a few trackables. Whereas if a normal cache goes missing then one or two (if any) are lost.

the farmers 5
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 05 October 10 10:33 pm

Richary wrote:
Phetlern wrote:Absolutely amazing - without wanting to start a new thread, perhaps we should be making more use of Premium Member Caches, especially those specifically designed to house moveables/trackables. :-k
Maybe TB hotels themselves are just basically a bad idea? I have seen too many go missing over time with the consequent loss of quite a few trackables. Whereas if a normal cache goes missing then one or two (if any) are lost.

We have seen plenty go missing ,as well. Its a bit off topic ,but its always been the done thing to place " TB Hotels " near major roads or airports. This has one great point and one bad point. The great point being high activity and flow of cachers,but the downside is a constant stream of muggles or chance of being seen with "precious cargo ". :shock:
Maybe its time that the thought of the valuable TB's and coins outweights the thought of convenience of caches located near major roads etc. Perhaps the caches should be placed further back from the roads EG; 500m down a back road. This gives more respect to the cache,the owner and the contents.

If they are driving down the "Hume " ,surely an extra 500m down a small off road wouldn't worry most. :D

paegle boy
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by paegle boy » 06 October 10 7:29 am

that not good :stabby

Frogglin
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found
Twitter: Frogglin

Post by Frogglin » 06 October 10 6:43 pm

Richary wrote:Maybe TB hotels themselves are just basically a bad idea? I have seen too many go missing over time with the consequent loss of quite a few trackables. Whereas if a normal cache goes missing then one or two (if any) are lost.
I'm actually wondering this myself. I'm about to activate 2 trackables and DID plan to leave them in a local hotel, but really it seems to me either these caches get muggled, or else a "collecting" cacher picks them up and takes them home. Think I'll stick with non-hotel caches for release.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 06 October 10 8:25 pm

I don't think the concept of a TB hotel is bad, it's usually the execution. They need to be secure and safe. Philma set up a great one in Ultimo, close to Darling Harbour. It's kept inside the community sports hall. You have to ask the staff for it and you can do the trade as needed.

Safe city - http://coord.info/GC28ZJ0 (little low, so I might drop off some TBs).

I have heard of another technique, but can't recall where. It involves using a 'safe' or padlocked cache, where the combination is given on the page listing. The cache itself would be bolted/secured in position. Once again, it would be best placed on a private premises with the land owners knowledge and blessing.

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 06 October 10 8:51 pm

Spindoc Bob wrote:I don't think the concept of a TB hotel is bad, it's usually the execution. They need to be secure and safe. Philma set up a great one in Ultimo, close to Darling Harbour. It's kept inside the community sports hall. You have to ask the staff for it and you can do the trade as needed.

Safe city - http://coord.info/GC28ZJ0 (little low, so I might drop off some TBs).

I have heard of another technique, but can't recall where. It involves using a 'safe' or padlocked cache, where the combination is given on the page listing. The cache itself would be bolted/secured in position. Once again, it would be best placed on a private premises with the land owners knowledge and blessing.
Very much liking that last idea!
My own joint owned TB Truck Stop TB Hotel just got attacked and we have had to move it, this idea may fix our problem!
One of those number padlocks!

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 06 October 10 9:01 pm

There's something similar in South Africa. It looks like a great set-up!

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 06 October 10 9:08 pm

J_&_J wrote:There's something similar in South Africa. It looks like a great set-up!
Oh it's soooo pretty!
I love it!!
So well organised and set out!

Lucy

Post by Lucy » 06 October 10 10:21 pm

We had a great one on the south coast at Bateman's bay

GCYFYZ

It was a premium member only cache, with a constantly changing combination for the safe, attached to a steel pole concreted in place.

This is what happened:

I guess someone really wanted the travellers inside!