The Moving Cache Race for 2010/2011

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
caughtatwork

The Moving Cache Race for 2010/2011

Post by caughtatwork » 29 September 10 9:55 am

Some of you may remember the moving cache race from December 2009 and January 2010.
http://www.cachinggames.com/mcr/

I think it was a complete hoot and quite a number of people joined in the fun of hiding the caches and then of course the complete (but very enjoyable) mayhem of trying to find them while they were being moved around.

I've been asked if we're going to have one again this year and the answer is yes. I'm off overseas to the USA for all of December and the first week of January, but that shouldn't stop the rest of the country having fun.

So, this year, just to up the ante a little but I was thinking of a "theme" that we could use as the basis for the types of caches being hidden.

Last year of course, Mobility Stealth http://geocaching.com.au/cache/GA1679 by SamWalkers was probably the funniest moving cache I've ever seen.

We could make this years a requirement for a "method of transport" like a wheelchair or bicycle. That might be going a little far.

What about something like the "Rabid Gnomes". If you want to play, your cache must be a garden gnome. Yes, a real genuine garden gnome.

Or something like "A rolling stone gathers no moss" where each cache is hidden inside a fake or real rock. That could make transportation fun.

So of course, as I've run out of ideas (and am descending into silliness) what themed ideas could you suggest for this years moving cache race?

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Re: The Moving Cache Race for 2010/2011

Post by Happy Chappies » 29 September 10 10:22 am

This may be a bit odd, but could we make this race the 'Shoe-in'? I'm always seeming to find shoes (either in a pair (often dangling over power lines or a single one somewhere odd....)) - Perhaps a shoe as a cache? (I know - high likelihood of it getting chucked as rubbish by muggles though).

Or how about street furniture? Would be hilarious to see caches disguised as ashtrays, street signs, picnic benches (!!), rubbish cans, or other street infrastructure.

I do like the transportation idea though - Goes with the theme and plenty of room for creativity there...

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 29 September 10 10:35 am

Hmm Im going OS too but should have time to release an entry before I leave. While Rabib Wild Intoxicated Gnomes would be freaking awesome I think "Geo-Gnome" would claim copyright issues :P I like transport... with the proviso it has to be painted red (goes faster!) and have a number and racing stripe... could make hiding a challenge haha

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 29 September 10 10:37 am

Happy Chappies wrote:Or how about street furniture? Would be hilarious to see caches disguised as ashtrays, street signs, picnic benches (!!), rubbish cans, or other street infrastructure.
I love the idea but I'd imagine it might cause a few red faces explaining to the local police why you are walking off with that chair or sign!

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 29 September 10 1:03 pm

caughtatwork wrote:What about something like the "Rabid Gnomes". If you want to play, your cache must be a garden gnome. Yes, a real genuine garden gnome.
We could expand this to "How does your garden grow?" and allow gnomes, pot plants, decorative windmills, decorative rocks - whatever you would or could find in your garden!

The hunters would really need to be on the ball though as I've discovered from bitter experience that garden ornaments in public parks are theft-magnets for muggles! :stabby

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 29 September 10 4:17 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:
Happy Chappies wrote:Or how about street furniture? Would be hilarious to see caches disguised as ashtrays, street signs, picnic benches (!!), rubbish cans, or other street infrastructure.
I love the idea but I'd imagine it might cause a few red faces explaining to the local police why you are walking off with that chair or sign!
Street furniture would totally not work in my area. You should see what happens during hard rubbish pickup - the streets are crawling with cars with trailers picking through the rubbish. I once put a piece of furniture out on the footpath, walked back inside to get my next item, and by the time I got back to the footpath the first piece was gone :shock: .

Garden gnomes on the other hand, I like. I own a cache and have found a cache that uses a gnome as the container. If you keep the hides to bush/out of the way spots, they work well. Gnomes love tree hollows!

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 29 September 10 4:39 pm

Team Wibble wrote:I once put a piece of furniture out on the footpath, walked back inside to get my next item, and by the time I got back to the footpath the first piece was gone :shock: .
I once had a car pull up as I opened the door with my hard rubbish in my arms. A bloke got out of the car as I headed for the footpath. I put the hard rubbish down and he picked it up as I turned around and headed inside for the next lot! Keen! :mrgreen:
Team Wibble wrote:Garden gnomes on the other hand, I like. I own a cache and have found a cache that uses a gnome as the container. If you keep the hides to bush/out of the way spots, they work well. Gnomes love tree hollows!
Out-of-the-way spots, yes. Adelaide parklands, stuck halfway up a tree, no. Didn't they read "www.geocaching.com" sticker underneath it? :(

Ozibags
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Ozibags » 29 September 10 7:13 pm

How about a horticultural theme - plastic potplants.

PrincessDiala
2300 or more caches found
2300 or more caches found

Post by PrincessDiala » 29 September 10 9:42 pm

I like the idea of the gnomes and alien space race!

My caching buddies were discussing this on the weekend - can you purchase plastic gnomes?

Or what about plastic money banks.

A pink plastic piggy in a tree, a green dragon under a rock..

Sounds like fun.. pity I'm not going anywhere this year... well nothing planned yet!

tronador

Post by tronador » 29 September 10 11:46 pm

Yeah... this sounds like fun again. My poor old cache from this years race seems stuck or lost somewhere in Melbourne.
I love the gnome idea and after much embarrassment with Mobility Stealth and much laughter with On Her Majesty's postal Service... there are and were some very good ideas out there. =D> =D> =D> Let's just all be creative this year.

pwags
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by pwags » 30 September 10 10:40 pm

I love the sound of this game, and all of the ideas posted above are cool... it would be a pity to not use all of them in some way! The most impressive part of a strange cache is the surprise the finder experiences when the cache is found. Therefore, how about a broad scope for this game?

"The Creative Cache Race"? We could even have teams, e.g. gnomes versus rocks versus pot plants versus ... ! The teamwork could add another element to the game.

Could this work?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 September 10 11:13 pm

Hey man, you know me, almost anything is possible.
We could have a "team" from each state and compete them against each other.
Victorian gnomes vs. NSW rocks, vs. Qld street furniture vs. SA plastic plants, etc.

SamWalkers
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by SamWalkers » 13 October 10 11:13 am

Happy Chappies wrote:We could make this race the 'Shoe-in'? I'm always seeming to find shoes (either in a pair (often dangling over power lines or a single one somewhere odd....)) - Perhaps a shoe as a cache?
It could be any article of clothing but to get the find the cacher has to put it on and walk away. The photos would be great.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 13 October 10 11:51 am

Need to take into account teams consisting of me, myself & I.