The Moving Cache Race for 2010/2011

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
juc_cacher

Re: The Moving Cache Race for 2010/2011

Post by juc_cacher » 09 December 10 10:05 pm

Ripper...thanks heaps...going over to the gnome photos thread now....

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 10 December 10 10:35 am

Does anyone else seem to spend most of their time planning which gnomes to gnap next, where to drop them, checking who's last found them and guessing where they'll be dropped, working out if you can pick them up based on how many logs since your last, negotiating intertstate travel plans and planning gnome tortures inbetween?

Work seems to be coming a poor second since 1st December :shock: :gnomette =D>

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 10 December 10 11:56 am

blossom* wrote:Does anyone else seem to spend most of their time planning which gnomes to gnap next, where to drop them, checking who's last found them and guessing where they'll be dropped, working out if you can pick them up based on how many logs since your last, negotiating intertstate travel plans and planning gnome tortures inbetween?

Im trying to get some work done! Mostly I'll only try to gnab gnomes close to home or on route to places... but if they are new in town I'll still get distracted enough to detour towards them :D

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 10 December 10 12:20 pm

blossom* wrote:Does anyone else seem to spend most of their time planning which gnomes to gnap next, where to drop them, checking who's last found them and guessing where they'll be dropped, working out if you can pick them up based on how many logs since your last, negotiating intertstate travel plans and planning gnome tortures inbetween?
Oh yes, you've described my plotting precisely.

Of course there is also the decisions about whether to go and grab and move or leave them for other players. I'm referring to the Lismore gnomes and whether to let them play close to home for a while longer or whether to bring them north to within reach of the SEQ cachers.

As for planning gnome tortures, Eromsil and Stealthy McSteath will tell you that we (Petan) extended much hospitality in their direction. See GA2785 and GA2788.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 December 10 4:00 pm

aussie-O's wrote:C@W, my gnome, http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga2952, isn't on the gegnome project website ladder. Can you help? :gnome :gnome :gnomette :gnomette
It's not registered.
http://www.cachinggames.com/gegnomeproj ... create.php to add it.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 December 10 4:01 pm

Tuena wrote:What means are available for the administrators/moderators to ensure the validity of moves & hides in this race?

Is there an alert when a cache is moved more than a certain distance?

The move I noticed is probably a genuine error but if my gnome suddenly appeared in the middle of the ocean & was then found, I'd expect a knock on the door.
Which cache?
If it's wrong it will get fixed, but as I'm in the USA at the moment it may not be immediate.
If it's a breach of the spirit of the game, it will be DQ'd.

emily~angel
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by emily~angel » 10 December 10 6:52 pm

Sadly this is me - I check where they are, look at why I can head that way...I always forget to plan where I could hide a gnome though.

We are about to head to Perth for a quick visit there (wedding), then from there to Victoria for a flying visit before home again to SA....It is so hard working out which gnome will come for a flight with us, also if we would get time to dump one and pick up another....but it is so much fun planning :-)

PrincessDiala
2300 or more caches found
2300 or more caches found

Post by PrincessDiala » 10 December 10 7:06 pm

emily~angel wrote: We are about to head to Perth for a quick visit there (wedding), then from there to Victoria for a flying visit before home again to SA....It is so hard working out which gnome will come for a flight with us, also if we would get time to dump one and pick up another....but it is so much fun planning :-)
You could always contact a local to have a gnome ready for you to pick up in an easier location.
I do gnome delivering services for cheap. :lol:

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 10 December 10 11:50 pm

emily~angel wrote:

Sadly this is me - I check where they are, look at why I can head that way...I always forget to plan where I could hide a gnome though.

We are about to head to Perth for a quick visit there (wedding), then from there to Victoria for a flying visit before home again to SA....It is so hard working out which gnome will come for a flight with us, also if we would get time to dump one and pick up another....but it is so much fun planning :-)
Mine are very small, if you could get your hands on one or both, they could travel in your pockets!!

Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged

Post by Fairly Magic » 11 December 10 8:23 am

Well apart from the work bit, working in the laybye counter this time of year I keep getting hours added to my roster and planned gnome gnabs are being deferred :(

and you forgot mentioning doing a happy dance when your gnome gets moved :lol:

Now I have a dilemma. There is a gnome that has a mission to be in SA for Christmas and has been dropped near the airport to aid his mission. Question is - do I go find him. Maybe he could visit a few of the sites nearer the airport? Maybe he might be better positioned near a tb lounge? Maybe I could be evil and drag him off on a tour of Hobart? Oh what shall I do?

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 11 December 10 9:20 am

Now that C@W has zooooooomed a few gnomes ahead with the first o/s trip, maybe we could include a prize for the furthest distance travelled by a gnome totally within Australia? (That way, i still have a chance to win :twisted: )

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 13 December 10 5:15 pm

I note a few more players have joined the game.

Now to drop a gnome on the front door step of some of the more 'recalcitrant' geocachers! :gnome :gnomette

Fairly Magic

Post by Fairly Magic » 14 December 10 3:37 pm

HI

I have a day off between being nice to harrassed/rude/over shopped christmas folk. I am trying to restore my niceoseness to yukky people by going gnoming :)

But I need a rule clarification please.

There is no limit to the number of times other cachers can find / move the cache provided there are at least two other finds / moves in between.

seems straight forward to me, so what do the game admins do when this rule is not followed?

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 14 December 10 3:51 pm

Fairly Magic wrote:HI

I have a day off between being nice to harrassed/rude/over shopped christmas folk. I am trying to restore my niceoseness to yukky people by going gnoming :)

But I need a rule clarification please.

There is no limit to the number of times other cachers can find / move the cache provided there are at least two other finds / moves in between.

seems straight forward to me, so what do the game admins do when this rule is not followed?
The expectation would be that the move would be disallowed in the calculations of distance and number of moves I guess. But realistically, unless someone pointed out the error, the stats would automatically update and ignore the broken rule I expect. Once the error was noticed, some logs could be deleted and then all would becalculated within the guidelines again.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 14 December 10 3:53 pm

Game admins? Are you sure? I think you might be asking a bit much, here.

I think C@W would send a fairly stiff e-mail, if the situation called for it.

I assume that disqualification is a legal option, but to be avoided if at all possible.

If you have a specific problem, I suggest you send a private message to C@W.

Wendy